E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DME/CAS Swapped, Windows/Sunroof not working

11-10-2016, 12:25 AM   #1
tsh3po
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 323i Sedan

DME/CAS Swapped, Windows/Sunroof not working

Hi Everyone

I'll try be as short as possible, I bought a 2nd hand e90 323i, 2007 model (134+ Km) that had DME water damage, the previous owner had it replaced (not at dealer) but they seem to have used a wrong one or didn't program correctly.

I have the old CAS3 box, DME (MSV80) and 2 Previous keys, obviously that's what they changed, however when I run the VIN from DME on car it appears as though its a 2008 model, that had iDrive (We'll see later from codes also)

When I got the car (2 weeks ago) it had rough idling and sort of misfiring when starting in the morning (this I've learned could be the VANOS, still does it but better), ABS and DSC lights on. No Cruise control, No power windows, no sunroof, car doesn't start on Park, you to turn ON, shift to N then start

I got a cable and installed ISTA, Using ISTA (codes attached) I was able to calibrate both steering angle sensor and DSC, this removed the ABS/DSC lights on dash, now also the cruise control works. I was also able to open and close both windows and sunroof directly from the FRM, so at-least we can say mechanically they work.

Another thing this car doesn't have an IBS sensor (on negative terminal) so I'm guessing the DME is looking for that, hence no start in Park. Also the communication errors could be the DME looking for components not there (i.e with controller/joystick could be the previous car had iDrive (also when u decode the VIN)

I'm yet to plug in the old devices and see if they can read anything, but then again cant we use coding/programming to correct the current faults? It would seem the only thing now is to get the windows and sunroof working, I can live with starting from N, but cant we code that out of the DME/CAS or rather what options does one have?

Any thoughts?

Oh one last thing, I tried to follow the "test plans" on ISTA, and they throw errors:

Differentiated air intake system control - test module error ABL_DIT_B1214_NG6DISA

Power supply, longitudinal dynamics management - test module error ABL_DIT_B6631_LDM_SG

CAN/FlexRay bus system analysis: no message - technical error when loading ABL_DIT_AT6131_SYS_TIMOU.dll

DME: CAN Message - test module error ABL_DIT_B1214_NG6BOT

Pics Below:

Notice the scan detects manual on gearbox

and just before it finishes changes to auto, also notice the mileage, thats whats showing on cluster

Codes that remain after countless scans and erasing

Control Unit Tree

Misc DME info

Misc CAS info

Misc FRM info, initially I thought this was faulty

Old DME

Old CAS

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 12:53 AM   #2
Levanime
BimECU
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
You dont have right tools and knowledge to do what you are trying to do.

You should go by NCSexpert tool, copy FA from frm to cas and recode.

Then the picture will be more clear, what needs to be done
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 03:55 AM   #3
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

As Levanime says. It's the only way.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 12:46 AM   #4
tsh3po
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 323i Sedan

Hi Levanime & Sensible_

Thanks for the responses, I should have mentioned I'm a complete Novice and still learning....

The tools I have where mainly to gather info hoping the more experienced guys can be able to understand whats going on...

Anyway I went ahead and installed INPA, and got NCSexpert v4.0.1 running, however I seem to have a problem reading the FA from FRM.

I did a quick search on the error and it points to outdated daten files, can you confirm if its so?

Also I can confirm the VIN is different on CAS and FRM (meaning the FA's are not the same also), [this is good cause atleast now I know they didn't code anything] and if I understand correctly we need the FA from FRM, but my question won't that stop the CAS from communicating with the DME? I haven't done anything either than reading the FA, still need to sort out power and the error

CAS

FRM error

Appreciate 0