E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Brake pads

02-08-2008, 12:56 AM   #23
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
That's what I was kinda wondering. No first hand experience obviously, but everyone mentions those brands when talking about racing. Just didn't know if they had pads that could be used for both.
Porterfield can make various race and street compound pads from different manufacturers fit our cars. Give them a call. They used my car as a templet for the front and rear pads. There is a thread on this subject I wrote. The pads are great at the track. they do work on the street but you will rapidly wear down the rotors from abrasion as the rotor/pad assembly doesn't get hot enough in that environment to transfer pad material back and forth. Race pads also don't yet come with retaining clips, so they will clank around in a single piston design caliper. Ran a few weeks in the street with them, but you really have to be a bit crazy to do so.

Always bed in the pads and rotors when switching either out. Many good articles on this on line. Different manufacturers have different methods, but in general, you want to sufficiently heat the pad and rotor to operating temperature in order to off gas any production residual and transfer pad material to the rotors surface. It is this dual layer interaction which provides the best braking and longest pad and rotor life.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2008, 02:53 PM   #24
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Thanks. Now that I've given up on increasing the power on my 335i. I'm gonna work on handling and braking for the track. I'll see what I can come up with through Porterfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
Porterfield can make various race and street compound pads from different manufacturers fit our cars. Give them a call. They used my car as a templet for the front and rear pads. There is a thread on this subject I wrote. The pads are great at the track. they do work on the street but you will rapidly wear down the rotors from abrasion as the rotor/pad assembly doesn't get hot enough in that environment to transfer pad material back and forth. Race pads also don't yet come with retaining clips, so they will clank around in a single piston design caliper. Ran a few weeks in the street with them, but you really have to be a bit crazy to do so.

Always bed in the pads and rotors when switching either out. Many good articles on this on line. Different manufacturers have different methods, but in general, you want to sufficiently heat the pad and rotor to operating temperature in order to off gas any production residual and transfer pad material to the rotors surface. It is this dual layer interaction which provides the best braking and longest pad and rotor life.