E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Frequent Short Cranks without Starting

08-14-2023, 09:54 PM   #1
tabascom16
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d

Frequent Short Cranks without Starting

So I tried to search this issue without finding any posts that had experienced the same issue.

I have a 2011 335D. Two weeks ago out of the blue it did a very short single "rah" of a crank instead of a longer "rah rah rah" it usually takes to start. I hit the start button again and the car started just fine. I didn't get too worried about it. Then it did it again on Friday. Today (Monday) it did it again more than once when at work and having to use the car a few times throughout the day. Sometimes it would do just a very short singe "Rah" crank on each of multiple hits of the start button. Eventually it cranked just fine and started.

I just put a new battery in the car this spring. The car is not exhibiting signs of a battery that is not charging or an old battery. It is a strong crank, and has no other warnings like "increased battery discharge".

I checked for a loose battery terminal and tightened them both down and that was not the problem.

I checked codes tonight at home (I had not checked them for a while) and got the following codes that may be related A0B3: CAS starter motor, terminal 50 and then A2CD: CON control unit undervoltage. But these could also be old codes from other times I was working on the car this year.

I cleared the codes and tried several times tonight trying to start the car and it gave me the same short crank multiple times, but it did not throw any codes.

Anyone experience anything similar to this and what was your fix? I hate to waste time trying to figure it out on my own, and I really despise taking the car to the stealership. I would hate to get stranded somewhere, but I typically don't drive too far from home.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 11:26 PM   #2
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

How's the rpm
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2023, 08:14 PM   #3
tabascom16
Registered
Rep

As in the actual RPMs when it is running? It acts 100% normal when running.

Or is RPM an abbreviation for a module?
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251680.00
      08-16-2023, 09:00 AM   #4
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabascom16 View Post
As in the actual RPMs when it is running? It acts 100% normal when running.

Or is RPM an abbreviation for a module?
No, the actual RPM when it's trying to turn over.. Is the needle registering anything? If not, crank position sensor is a good bet.
      08-27-2023, 07:51 PM   #5
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Starter motor is the likely issue.
Had this happen on my VW TDI.
The low voltage code can be from the starter being stuck between windings.
I had a huge dim in my VW when it happened.

I took apart the starter and cleaned the brushes and gears. It worked for another year then did the same thing again. Put a new starter and it cranked way better than before and ran without issues for years.
Appreciate 0