E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Gasser Torque Converter on a Diesel

08-20-2023, 10:43 AM   #1
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Gasser Torque Converter on a Diesel

Hey Guys,
I'm about to swap my transmission because the torque converter is making noise and its slipping in 5th with my tune.

I have a 2014 328d F30. I haven't had much luck posting in the F30 forums, so I figured I'd try my luck here. I'm struggling to find an answer to this.

Current Trans: 8HP45
New Trans: 8HP50 (next gen of 8HP45)

The new trans I picked up only has 3,000 miles on it, however its from a gas/petrol 340i. Which means the torque converter is different. I bought a B58 flex disc to mate it up to the crank, but now I'm wondering if this is actually going to work.

My understanding is that diesel need a low stall TC, where as gassers need a high stall TC.

I know it will bolt up with the B58 flex disc, but from a shifting/drivability standpoint, can my 328d function with the torque converter from a gasser 340i?

Aside from an adapter plate/B58 flex disc, I could also swap the TC. I went with flex disc bc it was cheaper option. Do I need to backtrack here? Last thing I want to happen is install the transmission and find out it won't shift or has no power...

Any help would be appreciated. I tried to contact ZF directly but they refused to help. They told me they don't experiment with their products and pretty much gave no other information.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 01:48 PM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

The gearing is different to, that's what I'd really be worried about...
      08-27-2023, 09:13 PM   #3
Fordguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d, ford f150, mustang

Something else to think about is the torque converter lockup clutch is going to be designed to handle much less torque than the diesel one. Whether this actually becomes an issue is anybody's guess.

If you are doing the work yourself, the only thing you have to lose is time, at this point.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 09:10 PM   #4
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy View Post
Something else to think about is the torque converter lockup clutch is going to be designed to handle much less torque than the diesel one. Whether this actually becomes an issue is anybody's guess.

If you are doing the work yourself, the only thing you have to lose is time, at this point.
I ended up decided against it. Thank you for the reply though. Good info.

Now I’m just trying to find a new torque converter to swap for mine
Appreciate 0