E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > No boost over 3k, 429a, cant figure out what else to even check.

01-03-2024, 12:17 AM   #1
Uzejo
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i, 2010 BMW 335d

No boost over 3k, 429a, cant figure out what else to even check.

Hello,

I got a free 12/2009 335d from a buddy because he was sick of the problems. Car had no boost and then cooked its wiring harness when the dpf pressure hose popped off. No longer in contact with him so have no historical data.

So i went through the trouble and took out the engine, replaced the harness with a used one and put it back. Car at least runs now. While the engine was out i did a lot of work in anticipation of the boost problem. Unfortunately only the small HP turbo seems to kick in now and falls flat after 3k rpm.

Here are the things (related to turbos/vacuum) that have been replaced, and checked:

New valve cover
New red charge pipe
New silicon vacuum lines
New Map sensor
New Maf sensor
New fuel filter

Intake fully cleaned
valves walnut blasted
Checked vacuum from the main pump.
Checked driver side holds vacuum.
Verified the vacuum line routing like 5 times.
Checked the pressure converters and electronic valves. All seem ok.
Checked turbo actuator on the side. Holds vacuum and moves when engine started.
Checked that flap in the front with the red vacuum hose. Doesnt seem to stick and holds vacuum.
Made sure there are no exhaust leaks
Made sure there are no intake leaks
Checked big turbo, no play in the impeller.
Checked the big turbo wastegate and i can hear it move when applying vacuum.
Checked DPF when engine was out, didn't seem too sooty.
Verified engine gets to around 94C while driving.

No other codes at all other than 429a, and even that one only happens at around 4500 rpm while going uphill. Goes into limp mode until i restart car.

Even the low rpm boost only happens when up to half throttle and feels delayed. If i floor it from standing, it seems like there's no boost at all.

Seems everything is pointing to the DPF being blocked???

I have tried to request regeneration but all it says that regen cant be requested. Gas tank full, engine warm, no codes. Cant find how to check soot and ash values.

Here is the thing though, this car seems to have some sort of tune on it because the SCR DEF stuff is not being used and not spraying. Also some values seem really weird with the DPF regen stuff. Like the regen is always requested but aways says it was ran 0 miles ago. Unfortunately i have no way to verify what/how/where it was tuned.

Pictures attached. Anyone have any ideas? DPF was not gutted, and i would prefer not to if i can avoid it but i guess i will if i have to. I would honestly rather just return it to stock and just fix whatever i need to fix because i live in a place with emissions testing, but i dont even know where/how to get a stock tune. I'm worried that this "tune" is hiding errors that could point to the solution.

If anyone knows of any value i need to check, let me know i have ista and can get real time data graphing software if needed.

Name:  20231215_212713.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  520.1 KB

Name:  20240102_203541.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  690.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 09:23 AM   #2
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

So you didn't swap any of the PCs or vac lines? Silly. It would have been a 5 mins job with the engine out. My guess is you've either got an issue with the compressor bypass or the turbine switchover.
      01-13-2024, 03:56 PM   #3
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Dpf is probably clogged.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 02:03 AM   #4
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
based on second screenshot, 19.96mbar of exhaust back pressure (after regen cycle?) suggests that DPF is fine.
however, it looks as if someone just ran a DPF replacement function as remaining distance is for brand new DPF.

Last edited by POBEP; 02-08-2024 at 02:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 02:14 AM   #5
POBEP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 E90 E91

Garage List
based on first screenshot, differential pressure is on a high side 268mbar.
this suggests that DPF is clogged

94C temp is on a higher side - usually when regen is running or continuous uphill driving

do you have a burned rubber smell from exhaust after ~ 15 min of driving?

Last edited by POBEP; 02-08-2024 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0