E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Well i've had my 330 D 6 months and heres its make over..

04-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #23
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmefield View Post
Cheers rich, thanks again for coming over and scanning/coding my car...Love the noise of your M5...

Usually with Carbon wrap the feel&look gives it away as wrapped, but this 8D stuff with it been thicker and very glossy looks to have more depth to it...

Im considering re-doing the grill surrounds & rear diffuser in the stuff now, the normal 3D has lasted really well on the rear diffuser thou so im a bit lothed to remove it. .

But the new 8D stuff would tie in with the Sapphire Black paint work better...

A machine polish is next on my list, but I'll not be doing that myself im ok with hand polishing but I'll leave machine polishing to the experts. ..
I'll take you for a spin in the M5 next time

How hard is wrapping? Couple of things I'd like to do on mine...

Both mine need a machine polish, I have all the kit, but lack the time & motivation these days, ha ha, but a lad at work does it cheap.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 11:03 AM   #24
holmefield
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330 d m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post

Both mine need a machine polish, I have all the kit, but lack the time & motivation these days, ha ha, but a lad at work does it cheap.
Cool, I imagine the M5 on full song sounds awesome. .

In my experience wrapping is just patience and lots of heat..im not that patience a person by nature so if I can do it im sure you can..The 8D stuff IS HARDER THAN NORMAL WRAP thou its roughly twice as thick so requires more heat and the air bubbles are a bitch to get out, the centre console bit ( around the gear stick and ashtray ) took me an hour..

Around the vents @ eye level takes time as its the 1st thing you see + if you pull to hard on the wrap it starts to deform, heat is key..

If you want next time we scan/code my car I'll wrap summut for you and show ya my crappy skills ha ha..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #25
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post

Is the lad @ work any good @ polishing as mines needs one asap...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #26
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Cool, I imagine the M5 on full song sounds awesome.
Yeah, it's not bad...

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #27
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In my experience wrapping is just patience and lots of heat..im not that patience a person by nature so if I can do it im sure you can..The 8D stuff IS HARDER THAN NORMAL WRAP thou its roughly twice as thick so requires more heat and the air bubbles are a bitch to get out, the centre console bit ( around the gear stick and ashtray ) took me an hour..

Around the vents @ eye level takes time as its the 1st thing you see + if you pull to hard on the wrap it starts to deform, heat is key..

If you want next time we scan/code my car I'll wrap summut for you and show ya my crappy skills ha ha..
Cool, something I've been considering for a while
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #28
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Is the lad @ work any good @ polishing as mines needs one asap...
Yeah, he's well into detailing and is a massive BMW fan (he's had a ridiculous number of E46's), I can ask him if he'd do yours, he has done a couple of my cars in the past and does a good job.

This was my first 330d after he'd polished it >>>

Shame someone crashed into the back of me & wrote it off a few months later!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 02:17 AM   #29
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Cheers rich that would be good, how much does he charge for a polish? I've had two black cars done b4 & both times the people doing the polishing have left buffer marks/light burns in the paint work..

I know blacks a hard colour to machine polish but its worried me getting the bmw done...but your 330D looks spot on Rich...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 02:20 AM   #30
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Well next up is TRYING to get my China special CSL boot spoiler to fit.l've managed to get it on twice but due to the door shape its pulled off twice!!

So im going to attempt to cut and shape it to the exact boot lid shape this time, should be fun!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2015, 04:07 AM   #31
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Texted you his number, so speak to him, let him know what you want and he'll give you a price, he's not expensive though, he enjoys doing it!

That 330d looking stunning after he'd finished, was very flat/dull before and you couldn't really see the metal flake, proper transformation.

He did my 2nd 330d as well before I put it up for sale, that also looked superb, although the paint was tidy on that to start with.

Need to get him to do the M5, that's a mess up close.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #32
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Well 8D carbon wrap has been ordered for the rear diffuser, so going to re do the front grill surrounds to...

I had 5 people in the car today for the 1st time since fitting the wheels and spacers, and yes it JUST rubs the arches going over speed bumps @ an angle or if one side of the car goes up a low banking as happened when i parked up, but town/motorway with 5 in was OK..

so i mite roll the rear arches as theres around 10mm that can be rolled in which would mean i could prob get away with 22mm rear spacers and a slight rear drop...

then it'll be a stage one polish/swirl removal for summer and lowered front spring perches.

Im currently also modifying my CSL boot spoiler and sanding/spraying it with the hope i finally getting it to fit rite...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #33
holmefield
Captain
Rep

so with working shifts when on nites i get fridays off...happy days, the kids were @ school the sun was shining so i thought i'd have a go @ a couple of jobs on the car.

Since i've been 8D carbon wrapping the interior its made the 3D that i have on the outside look crap, so i decided to re-do the lower rear diffuser that i'd done in 3D carbon wrap sometime ago.The stuff has lasted well with out showing signs of wear and tear.The rear diffuser is a pain to wrap and as i've said before this 8d stuff is really hard to work with.I decided to also re-polish my exhaust tips as they were well and turly showing there age.

So diffuser and tips off yuk..

And heres the rear diffuser re-done in 8D wrap and the tips sanded with ( 80/150/240/800 grit ) i also dremeled the insides of the exhaust tips as they where really pited..

I'm really happy with the results, now all i have to do is take the front wrapped kidney grills off and re-wrap them in 8D and finally try and make my CSL style rear spoiler fit ( after lots of cutting sanding sanding spraying and re-spraying !!!)
MODS lots of coding,Alcantara flat bottom wheel and trim,Led reg bulbs,Sapphire black interior trims,Carbon diffuser,DPF delete 276bhp,Carbon badges,Yellow B/calipers 19" BBS LM Alloys,Lowered spring perches.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #34
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Looking good
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2015, 03:27 PM   #35
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

That 8d wrap looks very nice. Might try it for my interior.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #36
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Coming along nicely looking forward to the CSL instalment
      04-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #37
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

The re-wrapped diffuser is excellent. That's spot on and the finish looks good.

Look forward to the CSL spoiler fitted.
      04-20-2015, 05:25 PM   #38
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by old grey steve View Post
Coming along nicely looking forward to the CSL instalment
Well I put the CSL spoiler on AGAIN for the 2nd time after lots of sanding/cutting back the plastic/smoothing and as with most China stuff the fitment is still off.

It sits on but lifts off after a day or two so I ripped it back off today..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #39
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajB View Post
The re-wrapped diffuser is excellent. That's spot on and the finish looks good.

Look forward to the CSL spoiler fitted.
The 8D wrap looks so good fitted..i'll post pics of the front grill tomoz.

I'm losing the will to carry on with the CSL spoiler if I'm honest, everyone I take it back off after lifting issues it takes hours to clean off the gunk left behind.

I'm considering either giving up with the current one and getting a high kick styles spoiler that go on E92's ( as they make them for E90's )

Or just waiting and saving like made for the full fat CSL boot lid but with painting your into £500+ & the misses would go mental..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #40
Raymo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335D M Sport

Any links where you got the 8D wrap? look massively better than that de-noc stuff
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #41
holmefield
Captain
Rep

I just got it off eBay i'll dig out the traders name...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #42
holmefield
Captain
Rep

Classictrading-UK on fleebay is where I get carbon wrap from..it's always been decent stuff and quick delivery..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #43
Rich_D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Get some pics up of it now it's been machine polished, Jamie said it came up well
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #44
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Well I put the CSL spoiler on AGAIN for the 2nd time after lots of sanding/cutting back the plastic/smoothing and as with most China stuff the fitment is still off.

It sits on but lifts off after a day or two so I ripped it back off today..
Are you going to mount the spoiler straighton otthe boot lid(once shaped, sanded and painted of course)or are you going the full hog and doing this as I did to a standalone spoiler taking something like this

and having it grafted shape cut and moulded on the cars bootlid(E46 Saloon)

and once painted you end up with something like this

looks 100% factory