E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > another DEF tank sensor failure

08-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #45
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Only have to drop exhaust and aluminum shield to pull tank assy. BS on the rear subframe needing to be pulled.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #46
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

The sub-frame is an assumption on my part. The writer never said it. Book on it is 7.2 hours.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #47
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Matt, if you're capable of doing the DPF to downpipe changeover, the urea tank assy switch is much less complicated. I wouldn't call it a walk in the park but was just labor. I removed the tank assy without a lift.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #48
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I'm not that adept. I can only park in a public town lot. Access to power tools, hell even 110 volts is problematic. Now if you wanna come up and do it, I'll supple the beer and lobstah.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #49
cptcrunch
Captain Crunch
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Interesting on the part redesign. I know I went through 3 tanks myself before one "worked." Its been a little over a year since the last tank was installed, and per the SA it comes with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. I'm now out of factory warranty and whilethe tank has been the only issue with the car, i'm waiting for it to fail again (60k miles).

Though, I'm a bit concerned about the tank. I've driven 12-14k in the last year since the tank was replaced and the car has not requested urea fluid. I'm starting to wonder if the system is working correctly because i would have expected a request for more fluid by now. Stupid tank issues, BMW really should recall/fix all of them under extended warranty.

There were 11,000 335ds imported to the states. I'm really curious the failure rate of the tanks, injectors and CBU.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #50
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcrunch View Post
There were 11,000 335ds imported to the states. I'm really curious the failure rate of the tanks, injectors and CBU.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe someone is working on a Class Action?

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #51
Barmlot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

I was wondering if anyone has actually gotten a replacement tank? Hoping for an update. Nothing for me except "Backorder" from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 01:09 PM   #52
p27rpy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Mine was ordered a few weeks ago. They said that it will be ready for install in early September. Until then, I'm just driving it with the SES on, and checking for new codes every now and then. We'll see if it's actually ready come early September!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #53
Barmlot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Good luck. I was told mine would be in mid June and then was delayed until early July. Still have that dumb SES light.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 08:27 PM   #54
Big_Daddy_38
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
My 335d is at the dealer for a new urea tank. I had an intermittant SES that ended up being the reductant level sensor. Apparently there is a nation-wide backlog (still??) on the urea tanks. I asked them to see if flushing it with deionized water would either fix or delay the inevitable. Since it uses so much less DEF now, I'd like to know if rinse/flushing the tank can help clear that particular fault or at least get some additional miles out of it before it throws another code. I'm not convinced they are up for an experiment but i'll post again if anything interesting happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #55
Barmlot
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Turns out my neighbor across the street is a BMW SA. He just told me that the "shipment from Germany" get DELAYED AGAIN I'm starting to wonder what is going to happen if i have to get it emissions tested in December wen my tags are due.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 12:13 AM   #56
p27rpy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by p27rpy View Post
Mine was ordered a few weeks ago. They said that it will be ready for install in early September. Until then, I'm just driving it with the SES on, and checking for new codes every now and then. We'll see if it's actually ready come early September!
Still no tank...calling back on another week to get an update.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 02:31 PM   #57
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

I have a little over 15k miles since the last DEF fill up. I had a couple of codes regarding the DEF tank/sensor in between.
Is this a sign of failure?

There is no warning on the screen that the car will not start in xxx miles.

The big question in this case would be regarding the ability to pass the CA smog check.
No sniff test, only computer based test here.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #58
Big_Daddy_38
Private
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
I have a little over 15k miles since the last DEF fill up. I had a couple of codes regarding the DEF tank/sensor in between.
Is this a sign of failure?

There is no warning on the screen that the car will not start in xxx miles.

The big question in this case would be regarding the ability to pass the CA smog check.
No sniff test, only computer based test here.

Same symptoms and lack of symptoms for me. I had at least 15k mi since i added DEF and i haven't seen the countdown yet.

The dealer who first read the SES for me said the Reductant Level Sensor fault had "shown" 31 times. The solution for that fault in-warranty is a new tank. I'm not expert on it but would guess that means, at least in some states, it wouldn't pass an emissions test.

I would try the distilled water flush idea on my own if it was out of warranty. My logic is that since the time between DEF refills is longer it creates more opportunity for crystals to form where they shouldn't and that a nice bath of DI water would re-dissolve any crystals and maybe at least prevent the fault for a while.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #59
dixy2k
Major
Rep

I've read a few forums on different diesel brands, just about all of them share this failure with the DEF tank.

I guess, if I can't fix it with some distilled water, $1000 would go to the local dealer.
Ahh, the joy of owning a modern diesel.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #60
Ncmech
Rep

Picked up a 2011 335d a month ago, just turned 52k.
Last week I get a ses light followed shortly by the no start warning.
Topped off active tank, then def poured out when the passive cap was removed.
No change to ses or no start warning.
Take to dealer, SA says I need a new tank, backordered of course.
No offer as to transportation once I've used the 600 miles remaining to no start, and I commute 100+ miles/day.
No warranty coverage because I live in the wrong state.
This is bs on several counts imo, as there is no option to delete CA emissions, the systems sole purpose is emissions related, and the car won't pass NC inspection with the ses light lit for this emissions code.
Anyway, I get the car home, fiddle with the def again, get the active tank to take more fluid and the no start goes away, so at least I can drive it.
Took fluid very slowly, clogged vent maybe?
As to the ses, misdiagnosis?
Or just zero effort on the dealer's part to keep it on the road until the part comes in.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 07:05 AM   #61
kbsilver
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340GT & '22 eDrive40

This may be a good place for my issue, if I indeed have one. On my 335D I've gone 23K miles without refilling the DEF. No SES, no No-Start warnings, nothing. Unless the DEF fairies are refilling the tank while I sleep, I believe this should be impossible. The car is 100% stock and is running perfectly and I've never had any codes to indicate something is wrong.

I may have not though much of it, but with the recent VW fiasco and sure to be increased scrutiny on Diesel vehicles, I need to make sure the DEF/SCR system is working while I'm still under either the emission or extended warranties. It's sounding as if I may be another tank replacement candidate. My state inspection is due in 6 months. But I believe as long as there is no SES, I'll pass.

In the past I got the warning several times before the oil change cycle. But then I had a CBU cleaning and DDE program update. Haven't needed to add DEF since. May or may not be related.

Last edited by kbsilver; 10-12-2015 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #62
335D Alpha Pappa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
But then I had a CBU cleaning and DDE program update. Haven't needed to add DEF since.
^^^That right there is the issue. BMW uploaded the VW Emissions software into your car! Its called DEF Lifetime Extension Update.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #63
p27rpy
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by p27rpy View Post
Still no tank...calling back on another week to get an update.
Delayed until the last week in October (so they say).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #64
jonsonneborn
Registered
Rep

Major DEF/CSR tank woes

I should have know something wasn't right in March when I got a low DEF warning which was approximately 8,000 miles premature for my next oil change. Even though I have extended service I was forced to pay for a DEF refill.

In May I got the tank sensor error & the dealer replaced the tank (under emissions warranty). They tried to sell me a new wiring harness for the tank stating that they were having trouble getting the code to clear. I declined.

By July I was experiencing intermittent Check Engine Codes & then my DEF tank emptied itself into my driveway.

This time the dealer stated that a gasket had been installed wrong in the tank.

August, again emptied the contents to the tank all over my driveway.

This time the dealer stated that the tank was just overfilled.

September, again emptied the contents of the tank all over my driveway.

This time the dealer stated that they had installed the active/passive lines on the tank wrong when they had done the initial tank replacement in May. I drove the car for 8,000 miles with the lines swapped!

I picked up the car last Friday. The CEL is still on but due to a Mass Air Flow error P0101 (if I recall). My gut tells me it's somehow related & I wasn't about to pay them $700+ to replace the intake.

Any thoughts? My car has 41,000 miles & is a May 2010 production 2011 model year 335d.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 11:33 PM   #65
dixy2k
Major
Rep

Did you open a case with BMWNA?
It will help in the future.
I had my MAF replaced once, EGR valve a couple of times, accelerator position sensor once, one turbo, all that and more before it was properly diagnosed with CBU.
Of course the DEF tank and poor labor practice has nothing to do with CBU, but since you have so many things replaced on your car, it seems to be plagued with lots of problems.
Just so you don't have to pay much out of your own pocket, BMW needs to have records of all the bad things the car has and how incompetent the dealer is.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #66
jonsonneborn
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
Did you open a case with BMWNA?

Just so you don't have to pay much out of your own pocket, BMW needs to have records of all the bad things the car has and how incompetent the dealer is.
Good Advice!

Yes I did contact BMNNA a few weeks back. There is an open case with them. I asked them to buy back the car from me (which I seriously doubt they will do). They are supposed to get back to me later this week with resolution to the multiple DEF tank failures...

I really hope that CBU is not my problem but I guess it might be huh? I did remove all of the plastic air intake hoses & cleaned it all out well up to the throttle body. There was a bit of oil build up in the lines. CEL still comes on immediately after resetting it though

Thanks,
Jon
Appreciate 0