E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Strange MAF Sensor Issue

04-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #1
NicR
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW 120i

Strange MAF Sensor Issue

Good Day Everyone,

Please could someone assist me as I'm busy doing my nut in with a rebuild I'm working on. When I unplug my MAF Sensor I dont get any fault code? No change in idle or anything. It's as if the MAF doesn't exist in the DME?

The engine in question is a N46. Basically I pulled the motor out as the flywheel had been installed incorrectly by the previous owner so the tdc hole on the flywheel wasn't lining up to actual tdc. Got that sorted and changed sensors and oil pan due to damage and also because I didn't want to have issues on start up etc etc.

Car still has the same issue as before. Starts up nicely when cold. Idles well and then as soon as the engine gets warm at about 60 degrees C, I turn the ignition off and then I can't start it up again until it's cold.

Replaced every sensor in the motor except for MAF and Intake Pressure sensors. If I unplug the pressure sensor the car responds with a change in idle and I get a fault code for it. But when I do it for the MAF I get noting at all in terms of faults or change in idle.

Timing is 100%
No VVT Faults.

The only faults I'm picking up on the DME is a Coding Fault. I'm not sure if this is due to flashing the wrong firmware or something along those lines.

Regards
Nic
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:41 PM   #2
NicR
Rep

I've just had a look on TIS at the wiring diagram. And on the MAF sensor section it says "Depending on Version" does this mean that some models don't have the MAF and some do? I'm confused lol
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
NicR
Rep

Managed to find some Info incase this is of interest to someone else one day.

>
E87, E90, E91

On the E87, the N45 is the basic engine for all countries (EURO 4, without Valvetronic and DISA). The N46 is available in a lower power rating (N46B20UL) and in a higher power rating (N46B20OL).
There is also no differential air intake control (DISA) on the N46B20UL.
For both N46 power ratings, there is no air mass meter signal (for vehicles with catalytic converter). With effect of 06/2006, the air mass meter has been reintroduced for countries where the fuel quality is inadequate.
The air mass is computed by the DME from the signal for oxygen-sensor control and other input variables.
The spark-ignition engines in the E87 and E90, E91 no longer have an oil dipstick. The electronic oil level check can be performed via a menu in the instrument cluster (alternative: Central Information Display).
The N46B20oL from the E87 is installed on the E90.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
NicR
Rep

Wow this is getting weird. I suspected for a long time that the differential intake actuator valve wasn't functioning but I ignored it, and I have just confirmed even when I unplug it I don't get a fault code. I'm starting to suspect that this ecu doesn't have the correct firmware in it for this model/version.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:49 AM   #5
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

this is the stereo section maybe you want to take this
to the general or engine subforum.
Also since your in Africa and this is mainly US members
we don't have the same Engines for the e90 no 4 cylinders
and only 6 cylinder diesels.
There is also a Euro specific subforum to.
UK has some of the motors you are talking about.
The chassis and electronics except for the motor electronics
should be somewhat the same.
We hate the no dipstick situation the electronic one does not update
till you reach Engine running temp and is known to be flaky.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=378
As you can see the Engine section has no 4 cylinders

https://www.e90post.com/forums/index.php?

Last edited by ctuna; 04-23-2019 at 01:12 AM..
Appreciate 0