E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Lean Codes - 29E0, 2BC0, 2BF4 ?

04-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

N55 Lean Codes - 29E0, 2BC0, 2BF4 ?

Not really sure what's going on here and could really use some help. My 335i has been garaged all winter and sitting on a trickle charger to keep the battery topped off. Would drive it once on the weekends to get it up to temp and keep things moving.

A few weeks ago I changed the oil and had oil pressure sensor codes and air intake codes pop up. Car would stall and was hard to keep running. Replaced the oil pressure sensor, MAF and cleaned a tiny bit of green oxidation on the TMAP sensor plug. Reset all adaptations, filled up with a fresh tank of Shell 93, dumped in a bottle of Chevron Techron cleaner and all was well. Put a few hundred miles on it and zero issues or codes.

Yesterday afternoon I started it up and let it idle for a bit. After a few minutes it went into limp mode and tripped the following codes. 29E0, 2BC0 and 2BF4. Cleared the codes and went for a drive. Everything felt great but the 2BC0 came back almost immediately.

The following codes are looking like a fuel pressure sensor and possibly a TMAP sensor. I'm happy to replace them but don't want to start throwing parts at the problem. I've had this car for 7 years and it has been super reliable. I find it strange that all of these sensors would go out at the same time. Original HPFP, injectors and spark plugs are BMW OEM Bosch with less than 5k on them.

Anyone have an idea what's going on or what I should do next? I am going to pull the spark plugs this afternoon and see if I can see signs of leaking injectors. Here are the codes and descriptions.

Running MHD 2+ 91 ACN tune (have 93 but run this for extra margin)
with cold start delete selected and no burbles. Haven't flashed any new files or messed around with the software since last summer.

29E0 : Charge- air temperature sensor, electrical : Short circuit to B+

The diagnostic function monitors the upper voltage limit of the intake-air temperature sensor on the engine side of the air filter

Potential problem source(s):
- Defect in wiring harness between DME and charge-air temperature sensor
- Charge-air temperature sensor defective
- Charge-air temperature sensor has been tampered with

Possible Causes
- Defect in wiring harness between DME and charge-air temperature sensor
- Charge-air temperature sensor defective
- Charge-air temperature sensor has been tampered with
- Defective DME

Repair Procedures
- Check wiring harness between DME and charge
- air temperature sensor
- Replace charge-air temperature sensor
- Replace DME

2BC0: Mixture adaptation, lower engine speed range: Mixture at partial load too lean

Possible Causes

The fault is recognized when the mixture is too lean and must be enriched by more than 25-30%, depending on load factor.

- Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter defective
- Mass-airflow sensor defective
- Defective injectors
- Intake-manifold pressure sensor defective
- Intake-air temperature sensor defective
- Camshaft position sensor defective
- Defect in high-pressure fuel system
- Defect in low-pressure fuel system
- Intake system leaking
- Oil cap not sealing

Potential Causes
- Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter defective
- Mass-airflow sensor defective
- Defective injectors
- Intake-manifold pressure sensor defective
- Intake-air temperature sensor defective
- Camshaft position sensor defective
- Defect in high-pressure fuel system
- Defect in low-pressure fuel system
- Intake system leaking
- Oil cap not sealing
- Leak in exhaust system before oxygen sensor behind catalytic converter
- Poor-quality gasoline

Repair Procedure

- If additional faults related to the following components are present, process these first:
Pre-catalyst oxygen sensor, mass-airflow sensor, intake-manifold pressure sensor, intake air temperature sensor, camshaft position sensor, high-pressure fuel system, low-pressure fuel system
- Check air-induction system for leaks (also checking the following components: Positive crankcase ventilation, oil cap, tank evaporative emissions system)
- Check exhaust system for leaks
- Replace injectors

2BF4: Rail Pressure sensor, plausibility: Maximum pressure exceeded

The diagnostic function monitors the fuel rail for excessive pressure levels prior to the engine start.

- Defect in wiring harness between DME and rail-pressure sensor
- Defective rail-pressure sensor
- Defect in high-pressure system
- Defective DME

Repair Procedure
- Check wiring harness between DME and rail-pressure sensor
- Replace rail-pressure sensor
- Repair problem in high-pressure fuel system
- Replace DME

Last edited by carguy138; 04-25-2021 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
DR.BADLUCK
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 335 Msport Xdrive Manual

Apparently I'm a new member so I Cant make my own posts - out of nowhere my 2012 335 m sport - x drive manual coupe with 80k miles is saying engine malfunction and throwing the following codes:

2D55
2C58
2EFE
2F04
2EE0
2EE2
2EE6
2EF3
2EEC
2EF6
2EE9
2EEF
2EE4
2F03
2F01
2G00
2F02
2D55
2C58
2EFE
2F04
2EE0
2EF4

PLEASE HELP!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 12:38 AM   #3
dadavis_n54
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I COUPE

Having the same issues, anyone have a solution yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Update: I cleaned the TMAP plug sensor again (both the male and female side), sprayed contact cleaner and put dielectric grease on the pins.

Car is running great again and has been for a few hundred miles. No codes have returned either.

I'm thinking the location of this sensor/plug on the charge pipe allows water to get trapped in the plug and corrode it. The corrosion increases electrical resistance and messes up TMAP sensor readings. Who knows but properly cleaning it and using dielectric grease on the pins appears to have solved it.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:50 AM   #5
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
Update: I cleaned the TMAP plug sensor again (both the male and female side), sprayed contact cleaner and put dielectric grease on the pins.

Car is running great again and has been for a few hundred miles. No codes have returned either.

I'm thinking the location of this sensor/plug on the charge pipe allows water to get trapped in the plug and corrode it. The corrosion increases electrical resistance and messes up TMAP sensor readings. Who knows but properly cleaning it and using dielectric grease on the pins appears to have solved it.
Glad you got it sorted, thanks for following up with the fix
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 09:48 AM   #6
ASpicyAsian
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335ix

Garage List
2013 335XI  [0.00]
Sorry to bring up a dead thread but having issues with mine- throwing active 2BC0 2C90, shadow codes 2C42 352A
MHD stg2

https://*********************/graphs...&zoom=-12,1229
Appreciate 0