E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 2E85 Electric Waterpump Communication - Fix that worked for me

01-26-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
usi227
Rep
Drives: N53

2E85 Electric Waterpump Communication - Fix that worked for me

Hi all,

Posting this in case it is of help to any N52/53/54 owners out there. I've had the 2E85 waterpump code on my N53 330i since I bought the car and figured out how to use INPA/ISTA/NCS Expert etc (about 2 years ago). The code used to come back after clearing. I should note, this was the only waterpump code I had on the car. (I believe 2E85 coupled with 2E83 and 2E84 tends to point to a waterpump replacement.

I recently replaced the OE 90ah AGM BMW battery with a 74ah Bosch S4 008 as the old battery was on its way out. The 2E85 code remained. This weekend I got some time to code the battery properly using NCS expert and altered the battery output from 90ah to 80ah (you can only code specific values, see guide), and from AGM to normal lead battery.

I used this tutorial below
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1338304

and then checked on INPA to make sure the battery output had changed properly by roughly following the below

From the menu screen select E90, Engine, MSD80 (for N53/N54), Then F5 = Status, Then F5 = IBS to get you into the battery menu then play around in there.

It was showing 90ah however after my changes in NCS expert, changed to 80ah, this confirmed that my adjustment had worked.

Once I did this, I cleared the codes and took the car for a 40 minute drive and the 2E85 code has unintentionally gone for good. This makes me believe that it had something to do with the old battery that was in the car.

I now have 1 remaining code to deal with 2E7C which I plan on sorting soon. Seems to direct towards a faulty IBS sensor.

I hope this helps anyone who has the sole 2E85 code as many have replaced the waterpump in an attempt to remove this code without any luck. This could save you £££s on unecessary repairs until the pump actually starts failing.
Appreciate 0