E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > m57 330d Cranks but no start after taking manifold off P0237 P2620

08-20-2023, 10:48 AM   #1
I6 Beemerville
off the road
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 330d

m57 330d Cranks but no start after taking manifold off P0237 P2620

Hi, I decided to change the glow plugs on my 2007 M57 330d, here is a summary of what I did:

Took intake manifold off scraped some carbon off and washed it

edit: Sprayed old glow plugs with PlusGas for a couple of days then removed with not trouble

edit: Fit new Bosch glow plugs to 15nm

Scraped away some carbon around the egr valve

Scraped some carbon on the intake ports hoovering the bits I could get. I am sure some small shreds of carbon would have dropped further down but I assumed this wouldn't be too much of a problem after seeing someone on youtube do the same.

Attempted to turn over engine with manifold off (nothing happened) and had engine light.

Reconnected/rebuilt everything and the hose coming from the egr valve which had previously been loose

Tried to start, it turned over but wouldn't start. The tachometer did move slightly.

Read codes with cheapo code reader resulting in:
P14A7 (was previously there when car worked)
P0237 Turbo boost sensor A circuit low
P1246 I think relates to alternator
P2620 Throttle sensor circuit open or something

I then dissembled the car again and check I had not missed anything.

I erased code but engine light stayed, charged overnight, and in the morning read codes and only P0237 and P2620 remained and the engine light.

Reassembled the car only for it to turn over without starting (the longest I tried cranking was 20 seconds) but black smoke comes out of egr cooler pipe.

If anyone has any idea what I can try or what is the cause of this (I suspect my agricultural cleaning of the intake ports may be at fault) any help would greatly be appreciated. Also is it worth checking fuses, if so I am not sure which ones to check for these sensors as the sheet in the glove box shows engine relating to the 70's but my fuse box has no fuses in the 70's.

Thanks for reading, if any further information is required or photos/video of cranking I can post this.

Last edited by I6 Beemerville; 08-20-2023 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2023, 05:10 PM   #2
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

Check all of your connections, it won't start if the throttle is staying closed (anti shudder valve) or the rail pressure regulator is unplugged (some disconnect this when removing the intake manifold). It would also help if you had the BMW specific codes.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 02:08 AM   #3
I6 Beemerville
off the road
Rep

Thanks for the reply,

I have looked extensively through the engine bay and cannot see any loose connections.

The throttle anti shudder valve when the car is off is in the open position (see picture).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 09:54 AM   #4
I6 Beemerville
off the road
Rep

Update

I decided to remove the intake manifold again and turn over the car with no intake manifold.

After the first attempt of cranking for around 8 seconds it turned over and spat out smoke out of all of the ports and the egr cooler.

During the second attempt of cranking it fired up after about 6 seconds of cranking and continued to fire out more smoke. After about 15 seconds though the engine turned off.

I am not sure why it turned off, I will recharge the battery and try firing her up again later.
Appreciate 0