E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Sell it or keep it - Help!

02-02-2024, 04:49 PM   #1
shimmysean
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Sell it or keep it - Help!

I've had my 2011 335d for about 6 years now and for the most part it's been great. I've considered getting it deleted and tuned, but ultimately just have kept it stock and enjoyed as is.
I recently dropped it off at my usual shop and they called and said that the def level sensors (both active and passive) had failed and I had a couple options, either do a "stage 2" tune or replace the tanks. Both were quoted at around $5700 which seems absolutely insane to me.
I started using this place a couple years ago because I had them do the CBU cleaning with the walnut blasting and they were really reasonable and knowledgeable about my car and the diesels in general. The past two times I've been there (this and about a year prior for another DEF refill) it seemed different, as they questioned what DEF was. Regardless, I'm thinking I just take it back home (I have ~210 miles before no start) and do some wrenching myself.

So what I really need help with is:
A. What are my fixing options? I saw there is a place in Canada that will fix/ship back your tank(s). It's that my only option?
B. Should I offload this thing before it just starts to fall apart on me? If so, let me know what you think a reasonable price would be to try and sell it for. Also, hit me up if you have an offer 😉
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 05:34 PM   #2
Master_Chase
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

My dad was in a similar boat and he decided to keep it as it's just too nice and fun to drive.

The $5,700 sounds reasonable for a delete to me parts for these cars aren't cheap and labor is expensive as well. Assuming that they are replacing the exhaust and not gutting it, a down pipe is $300+ the rest of the exhaust is about $800 so about $1,100 for that plus labor and it's a pain you have to remove the engine mount. If your getting an EGR block off kit add that into the quote as well. A BRR tune is like $1,300 (there are other options this is the one my dad got).

If the car is in good physical shape I would keep it but the choice is yours.
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2024, 08:47 PM   #3
MidWillamette335d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Keep. I enthusiastically bought my car a few years ago from a guy with a laundry list quote for 8500 from Salem BMW to fix it (he wasn't mechanically inclined). I fixed it for a small fraction of that but...it's a great car, the best of lots of worlds and I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. If you can delete it, do that. It can be done for under 2k all in if you do the labor yourself, you can even buy some new tools while you're at it. Good luck whatever you decide...
      02-03-2024, 08:59 PM   #4
shimmysean
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Well I think I've decided to keep it and try to complete the delete myself. I've been putting together all the pieces I'll need and I think I'll probably be around 1800 plus a couple other items (front control arms, glow plug controller, plugs, etc). There seems to be a lot of good instructions out there and here on this site.

Last edited by shimmysean; 02-04-2024 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 08:00 PM   #5
Scubudo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Don't forget to change out your valve cover gasket. I was warned before deleting that due to the age, there was a high likelihood it would blow shortly after the delete. The VCG is a little more intimidating but very doable. You probably should watch some videos on it and when you remove the injectors make absolutely sure that you label each 1 because if not, you will need deal with reregistering them in the computer because the computer needs to have the correct serial number in the correct cylinder. You also need to familiarize yourself with how to loosen some fuel lines without breaking an injector and how to purge once you replace all of the fuel lines.
Decide if you are going to stick with factory exhaust or gut DPF and Cat. If you gut that is cheaper, but unless you can weld, you will need to find someone who can.
If you have not changed out your motor mounts already, now is a good time to do that (you will have one out already). HF sells a bar that straddles over the top of the engine which will help lift the engine enough to get the DPF out. There are some sensors that can be removed but others that must stay. Most all is covered in the sticky. I think some claim to have pulled the DPF and replaced with a down pipe and changed out the exhaust in as little as day...but I don't see how because inevitably something breaks (or someone closes the trunk) and there will be delays. If you ship the computer out to be reprogrammed, that takes at least a week. I would suggest budgeting at least 4 days for the delete and 2 for the valve cover gasket. Try to label all of the parts as they come off (I used ziplock bags and labeled by location where the parts went). If you have not changed out your vacuum lines, and solenoids things under the vacuum canister, now is a good time to tackle that as well. Once you are done, you will know your car better than most mechanics.
...and one last thing that I always forget is to wash the engine bay and undercarriage thoroughly...but you probably should leave the top cover on the engine because it seems like the area around the injectors holds about a gallon of water and unless you have a good source of compressed air to blow all of that out, you might end up with water entering the engine when you remove the intake manifold. A long drive may dry things up, but my car was not in running condition when I went to replace the valve cover gasket, so that wasn't an option. I had washed everything down a week or 2 before and figured with the warm weather most of it would dry. On a whim I decided to use compressed air to blow out any debris (that potentially could fall into a place that would be bad)...and was shocked by how much water was still under the intake manifold.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 09:04 PM   #6
Scubudo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
also...once deleted it won't be stealth...it be louder and a little stinky...but performance wise, it is beast!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 12:27 PM   #7
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

I dunno if I'd call a deleted M57 loud. You'll definitely hear a lot more turbo whistle though.
      02-14-2024, 02:51 PM   #8
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Bro 5,700 is indeed INSANE. Look, get the VRSF downpipe, the Bimmertune or Tunemyeuro EGR delete pipe, and last but not least get this pipe and have an exhaust shop cut off the SCR catalyst and weld this pipe in place of it

https://www.cxracing.com/stainless-s...-45-OVAL-HORIZ

Don't waste your money on an aftermarket "full exhaust system" as this setup is exactly the same for MUCH less money. Your car will also retain its stock look.

Where it's going to get expensive is the tune.
Appreciate 1