E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW vs Audi essay

05-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #23
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

There's several different topics you can choose from. I would recommend discussing strategy more than one car vs another. You might use the cars (3 vs A) as examples, but try to focus more on why they were designed this way or that way and what market they were trying to go after. After all, marketing is the process of finding out what the consumer wants and giving it to them.

To help you dissect it, consider how the various luxury manufacturers build their cars and why. Then expound on the role that price plays vs quality/features/technology. What do their buyers look like?

Like I said before, Audi is rapidly taking the role that BMW has had, engineering and performance first, features and price, second. (Thanks to the BMW execs who left for Audi to orchestrate this)

My personal humble guess, is BMW is trying too hard to compete on too many fronts. Their focus is becoming more about features/toys/value add and less about a particular reputation in terms of performance/driving dynamics. Makes me miss the old days...
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #24
GregTheStig
derp
Armenia
Rep
Drives: a Tuk Tuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
According to Top Gear Audi drivers are now considered cocks....
LMAO I was thinking about that.

I actually like the BMW interiors better. I looked at the A4s and I thought they were too much like a VW. Just for some reason it had that feeling to it and I didn't really like it compared to the Bimmer. Of course now the Audis are actually getting nice. I still like BMW better though
      05-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #25
JoshM813
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E55 AMG

Even though I said earlier Audi's have nicer interior...i agree that I like BMWs interior better over Audi's but Audi interior is better quality and a more options...still BMWFTW!

Previous: 2007 BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #26
MM120
Bomb/missile tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport

I own both. If you want advice here, you'll get the BMW slant, & same goes for Audi if you were to ask the same questions on their forums. People will say all kinds of ridiculous things just to validate their personal choice of vehicle. As I said, I currently own both an Audi & BMW, so I don't have to make cheap shot remarks to defend either vehicle. Some of my personal observations:

Who has the advantage between A4 vs. 328?

Performance: BMW, unless Audi is chipped (mine is & 328 is no competition)
Handling: Audi (It can out corner my BMW anytime anyplace period)
Price: Audi
Resale value: BMW
Service: BMW
Exterior styling: eye of the beholder
Interior styling: Audi
quattro vs. X Drive: Audi quattro (Audi invented AWD)
Brand loyalty: BMW
Dependability: BMW
Sales: Unsure, but Audi is becoming increasingly popular.

What I prefer to drive changes from day to day. Sometimes I prefer to drive the BMW, sometimes I prefer the Audi. If I will be driving the twisties, I take the Audi. I like both cars pretty equally. My advice is own both at the same time & don't get caught up in advertising slogans. I'm sure Bugatti, Lambo, & Ferrari would argue what the "Ultimate Driving Machine" really is. BMW is no more the ultimate driving machine than Saab is "Born from jets." I used to work on jets, & Saab is in no way symbolic of a jet. And if Audi's "Truth in engineering" is so great, then why do their service advisors lie so much? It's all hype.

The prevailing question that transcends all specs is: Which car would you rather drive? My answer: both. These cars are so equally close it's crazy, but you have to take your blinders off to realize it. They're both made very well, look really nice, & perform great.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #27
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CS Limerock Grey

Quote:
I own both. If you want advice here, you'll get the BMW slant, & same goes for Audi if you were to ask the same questions on their forums. People will say all kinds of ridiculous things just to validate their personal choice of vehicle. As I said, I currently own both an Audi & BMW, so I don't have to make cheap shot remarks to defend either vehicle. Some of my personal observations:

Who has the advantage between A4 vs. 328?

Performance: BMW, unless Audi is chipped (mine is & 328 is no competition)
Price: Audi
Resale value: BMW
Service: BMW
Exterior styling: eye of the beholder
Interior styling: Audi
quattro vs. X Drive: Audi quattro (Audi invented AWD)
Brand loyalty: BMW
Dependability: BMW
Sales: Unsure, but Audi is becoming increasingly popular.

What I prefer to drive changes from day to day. Sometimes I prefer to drive the BMW, sometimes I prefer the Audi. If I will be driving the twisties, I take the Audi. I like both cars pretty equally. My advice is own both at the same time & don't get caught up in advertising slogans. I'm sure Bugatti, Lambo, & Ferrari would argue what the "Ultimate Driving Machine" really is. BMW is no more the ultimate driving machine than Saab is "Born from jets." I used to work on jets, & Saab is in no way symbolic of a jet. And if Audi's "Truth in engineering" is so great, then why do their service advisors lie so much? It's all hype.

The prevailing question that transcends all specs is: Which car would you rather drive? My answer: both. These cars are so equally close it's crazy, but you have to take your blinders off to realize it. They're both made very well, look really nice, & perform great.
Thank you that helps me out a lot

Last edited by jtskariah; 05-05-2010 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 09:59 PM   #28
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM120 View Post
Some of my personal observations:

Thank god you mentioned the word "personal" in your review. whew.
You almost got me started.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #29
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank god you mentioned the word "personal" in your review. whew.
You almost got me started.
everyone is entitled to their own opinion haha
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #30
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Focus on the Brand's history instead of a biased report on how a particular BMW beats Audi or vice versa. You'll end up sounding like a spoiled kid to your professor and classmates justifying how one brand is better than the other. Is this what kids write about these days? Stop watching MTV Cribs and my sweet 16 and get back to reality. There are plenty to write about in this world besides material objects.

jk you have a point but the essay subject is about competition, you choose a side and make points on why you support it. Not trying to sound like a spoiled kid or anything I can incorporate the brands history into the essay, in fact that is what I am doing but I must still choose a side
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #31
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Do your paper on the ad campaigns of the two attacking one another!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #32
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do your paper on the ad campaigns of the two attacking one another!

Good idea
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #33
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/e16QgD5-aLc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&featu re=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/e16QgD5-aLc&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&featu re=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

[u2b]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x8eQT3nzs2s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x8eQT3nzs2s&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_ US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

I always thought these were funny
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:39 PM   #34
Topless 335i
Captain
Armenia
Rep
Drives: AW E93 335i

why a 335i w/ jb3 > bugati veyron
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #35
jtskariah
Bud Light General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
why a 335i w/ jb3 > bugati veyron
Thats unrealistic

audi a4 stock > bugatti veyron
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 10:46 PM   #36
JoshM813
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf_loft View Post
I second his opinion. I owned 2 e92 335 for 3 years and now driving an S4. More confidence in turns and the sport rear diff makes you maneuver in ways my e92 couldn't. The latest generation quattro is just that much better, it's a fact. You can't throw you rear end as much as a rwd car to have that "fun" factor, but fun with less traction and confidence means slower times.

Funny...MT 335i does the slalom 2mph faster than S4...AT335i does it 1mph faster.

BMW outhandles Audi and it is a fact.

I've seen multiple videos of S4 vs 335i on tracks with same driver. S4 beats it in the straight lines but the 335i catches it on the corners evertime. Every race comes up close though usually about a second difference at the most.

What the stock 335i lacks in power to the S4 it catches it in handling

Same goes with A4 vs 328i but with these two...its a slight difference and not as profound as their big brothers

Previous: 2007 BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #37
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I second his opinion. I owned 2 e92 335 for 3 years and now driving an S4. More confidence in turns and the sport rear diff makes you maneuver in ways my e92 couldn't. The latest generation quattro is just that much better, it's a fact. You can't throw you rear end as much as a rwd car to have that "fun" factor, but fun with less traction and confidence means slower times.
Saying Audi's handling is better than BMW is just plain stupid in my opinion. Both systems have pros and cons, its nearly up to personal preference. They handle "differently", not better than one another. Lap times done by professionals in reviews show that the difference is minimal. One test would show bmw's RWD coming in first, one test would show quattro coming in first, and the other showing dead equal. Whatever "confidence" or "feel" you get is nothing but a personal experience and preference. It doesn't justify which one is better.

I'll safely bet my life that there are thousands of drivers out there who can outrun your quattro with bmw RWD. Honestly, Im confident that I can keep up with you no problems in the mountains. Does this mean BMW's RWD is superior compared to Audi's? If you outrun me, does that mean Quattro > BMW RWD? NOooOOo! It just proves that both systems are great and fun to drive with, and its one hell of a competition. Again, saying one is better than the other is completely ignorant.

I can say this though, if Im in the market for an AWD sports sedan, Im going straight to an Audi dealership. Otherwise, I'll look into BMWs. Both make great vehicles and both are trustworthy. BMW has edge in RWD philosophy, Audi has edge in AWD philosophy. FWD, ehh who gives a shit.

Cheers.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #38
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
Why how many Audi's have you owned?
Let me guess none?
You got that right. Here you go.

Mean while, stop humpin' on your Audi. Don't ruin that fine vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 11:43 PM   #39
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
I dunno how you are gonna argue this without facts + stats. Saying one thing seems better than the other is not really paper-worthy.
      05-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #40
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
Come at least give me an Oreo! Just giving me cookie without milk proves that this BMW driver is also a cock. LOL j/k
hahaha asking a little too much there brother.
I'll take that post as you turning down your hospitality.

As you can see, Im a fanboy for cars in general.
I love MB/BMW/AUDI. Hell, I even admire hyundai's recent attempts.
Most of the members in this board who knows me would know that I try my best to stay unbiased.
Of course, time to time I joke around with fellow bmw members regarding other brands, but nothing serious.

Glad to see an Audi member on board. I'll see you around.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 12:46 AM   #41
MM120
Bomb/missile tech
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Saying Audi's handling is better than BMW is just plain stupid in my opinion. Both systems have pros and cons, its nearly up to personal preference. They handle "differently", not better than one another. Lap times done by professionals in reviews show that the difference is minimal. One test would show bmw's RWD coming in first, one test would show quattro coming in first, and the other showing dead equal. Whatever "confidence" or "feel" you get is nothing but a personal experience and preference. It doesn't justify which one is better.

I'll safely bet my life that there are thousands of drivers out there who can outrun your quattro with bmw RWD. Honestly, Im confident that I can keep up with you no problems in the mountains. Does this mean BMW's RWD is superior compared to Audi's? If you outrun me, does that mean Quattro > BMW RWD? NOooOOo! It just proves that both systems are great and fun to drive with, and its one hell of a competition. Again, saying one is better than the other is completely ignorant.

I can say this though, if Im in the market for an AWD sports sedan, Im going straight to an Audi dealership. Otherwise, I'll look into BMWs. Both make great vehicles and both are trustworthy. BMW has edge in RWD philosophy, Audi has edge in AWD philosophy. FWD, ehh who gives a shit.

Cheers.
You've never driven a quattro, have you? Let's throw some rain/snow/ice on that mountain, just for giggles.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:27 AM   #42
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM120 View Post
You've never driven a quattro, have you? Let's throw some rain/snow/ice on that mountain, just for giggles.
Like I said I never owned one but I drove my buddy's 02 chipped 1.8T quattro. We used to swap rides time to time so I know how it feels like and I know the advantage and disadvantage of AWD in general. Rain/snow/ice is not just about Quattro. ANY AWD has advantage in those conditions. Read my comment again, "if Im in the market for an AWD sports sedan". If Im in a situation where I need AWD due to severe weather condition, I WILL GET THE DAMN AWD. Im pretty sure i'll be on audi forums right now if I was located in Alaska.

Even with AWD, an average race-wannabe drivers shouldn't be going to mountains or driving like a maniac in snow/rain anyways.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #43
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
what I should have said it that I have more confidence in committing into a turn in my S4 compared to my e92 335.
Now that makes sense.

by the way, we totally jacked this kid's essay thread.
Lets end this whole bmw vs audi debate and help him out.
Maybe this whole arguement helped. who knows.

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:45 AM   #44
MM120
Bomb/missile tech
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh View Post
Now that makes sense.

by the way, we totally jacked this kid's essay thread.
Lets end this whole bmw vs audi debate and help him out.
Maybe this whole arguement helped. who knows.
Yep we probably did jack it up, lol. Audi vs. BMW could go on forever. I drive both daily, & the differences in all categories are not too major. Maybe we should pick on Mercedes, lol. Just kidding, I have very limited knowledge of them. One thing I do know is that all of my friends that have worked for Mercedes tell me I don't want one. Sad because I think some of them are nice looking.
Appreciate 0