E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Easiest way to get my hands on an M3?

12-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Yam_440i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White BMW 335i convertible

Easiest way to get my hands on an M3?

I currently own a E93 335i, 2008, 54k mileage, super clean example with desirable specs (alpine White with coral red interior), with some extra tasteful mods.

I have had this car for 6 months But there is a small nagging feeling that is growing stronger and stronger, which is that I want an M3!

My car has not given me much trouble at all, and I have been really enjoying it, but I feel like it's missing that special character of an M car.

What would you guys do? Would you sell and buy an M3? Part exchange? What things would you consider?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
DrewM.
Private
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Go and drive an M3, see if its everything you think it's going to, or want it to be, then make your mind up.

I've had an e46 M3 coupe from '05 until '07and until recently this year a '98, e36 convertible, the e46 was, one of the best all round cars I've owned, the e36 was a great car but lacked.... Well a roof, a nice sunny day car but not a great drive, I guess being 20 years old was also a contributing factor in that. What I have learnt is any 'S' engine needs to be worked hard to get the best from it, this can sometime be tiresome when you just want to make brisk progress, if your driving style is not one the lends itself to revving the nuts of a car then maybe the M will feel a little flat, especially if your used to turbo, power delivery.

I contemplated a E92 M3 prior to the 335, but decided I didn't need the handling, nor M car tax as it was to be purely a road car, also, I could not resist the torque curve and tunebility of the N54.

What you need to do is identify what it is you want form your car, that will help you decide what to do.

If you do decide the M is for you I'd say a PX is not going to yield the best return on the 335, this is the worst time of the year to sell and car, especially a convertible so maybe hang on until late spring before advertising your car.

Last edited by DrewM.; 12-09-2018 at 05:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #3
bee-ma
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam_335i View Post
I currently own a E93 335i, 2008, 54k mileage, super clean example with desirable specs (alpine White with coral red interior), with some extra tasteful mods.

[IMG]https://i.ibb.co/6F7B2QB/IMG-20181208-140949-208.jpg[/IMG]

I have had this car for 6 months But there is a small nagging feeling that is growing stronger and stronger, which is that I want an M3!

My car has not given me much trouble at all, and I have been really enjoying it, but I feel like it's missing that special character of an M car.

What would you guys do? Would you sell and buy an M3? Part exchange? What things would you consider?
This car does not look 10 years old at all!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 06:36 AM   #4
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

If you have that feeling, it will only get stronger until you try one. I've been there with itches that need to be scratched!

Get the M3. It's an incredible machine, with a character that you will never really 'get' until you own one, despite what anyone looks at or justifies 'on-paper'. I've owned a 335i too, so can say with confidence, the two are worlds apart in terms of ownership rewards and thrill from the driver's seat.

The engine is a masterpiece, a fully bespoke race-derived V8 which has an upper crescendo that no other M3 can match. The S54 in the E46 M3 was a stunner, the S65 is a jewel.

The DCT gearbox (if you go that route) is incredible technologuy that still cuts it by todays standard - incredibly quick shifts up and down that box and it mates so well with the high-revving V8.

EDC takes you from firm, razor-sharp handling, to compliant smoothness over rough roads at the press of the button. Each of the three modes is noticeably different, essential option for my money.

The noise. Proper cross-plane V8 soundtrack - enough said.

High level of trim as standard - pro nav etc, ///M specific seats etc, and even the optional extras are more easily found compared to M-SPort models, plenty of M3s with HK, heated leather, EDC etc.

I've had many M3s over the years (E36 M3, Z3 M Coupe, E46 M3, E90 M3 and 3 x E92 M3s), and the E9X models have been my favourite of the lot. They're really under my skin, mainly due to the engine, gearbox and soundtrack combination. Such a rewarding ownership experience. I rate them very, very highly and everyone should try one if they can.

E92 M3 DCT 1 of 25 Santorini Blue Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
Stuff

^^^^^^^^^^He's right you know^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 01:17 AM   #6
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Oh great. Thanks Keith.........you’ve gone and made me want one even more now. I’m deliberately not trying one because I know I will go and get myself financially stuffed if I do. My head is just about over ruling my heart.......just!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #7
-Keith-
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Sorry Nomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOz View Post
^^^^^^^^^^He's right you know^^^^^^^^^^^^^

E92 M3 DCT 1 of 25 Santorini Blue Competition Pack
Appreciate 0