E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Rough idles and misfires



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
Al_335xi
Private
18
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: e92 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Rough idles and misfires

So last week I got a random code "P112F". So then I reset it.
then a day or two after that, I received 2 codes "P112E & P112E P/D"
Which was a rough ride, So I reset it with the OBD scanner and went away and Drives perfectly normal.

Until today, I'm driving and get the Engine Malfunction. Driving a little rough, and whenever I come to a stop or a slow roll, You can hear the engine reving up and down by itself and idling rough, and acting twitchy.

I've experienced this before from last year because it was from the spark plugs.
And the only way I knew was from the code I got, telling me it was a misfire on cylinder 5.

But now, my car is acting up but with no codes or anything. I drove with it for 30 minutes and nothing was showing up.

*I'm going to put this out there, I think It's the coils. But I don't know. I've never switched them out yet.

someone let me know what you think, I feel like it could be also the fuel injectors, who knows...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
Emilime75
Lieutenant
105
Rep
431
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (1)

How many miles? Coils are pretty much a maintenance item.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #3
330istocknot
Second Lieutenant
42
Rep
248
Posts

Drives: 330chino
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chino

iTrader: (0)

what codes are you getting for misfire?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #4
Al_335xi
Private
18
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: e92 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
How many miles? Coils are pretty much a maintenance item.
113k
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #5
Al_335xi
Private
18
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: e92 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330istocknot View Post
what codes are you getting for misfire?
Well I wasn't getting any codes.

But today I got 9 codes when i turned it on.
I got 2 about the manifold absolute pressure to throttle angle to low, then i got P0174 ( Mixture Control 2 system too lean Bank 2), P0171 (Mixture Control system too lean), P0301 (Misfire Cyl. 1), P0305 (Misfire Cyl.5), P0303 (Misfire Cyl. 3), P0304 (Misfire Cyl. 4), P0300 (Combustion Misfires several cylinders).
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #6
330istocknot
Second Lieutenant
42
Rep
248
Posts

Drives: 330chino
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chino

iTrader: (0)

Ive had those codes. The p0174 got resolved by replacing the O2 sensor on the left side of the engine. As to the misfires, i would suggest changing the 02 sensor first, then you can diagnose the misfire, because this sensor can set the misfires as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
Al_335xi
Private
18
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: e92 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330istocknot View Post
Ive had those codes. The p0174 got resolved by replacing the O2 sensor on the left side of the engine. As to the misfires, i would suggest changing the 02 sensor first, then you can diagnose the misfire, because this sensor can set the misfires as well.
There's two 02 sensors right? one for Bank 1 and Bank 2. You think I should replace both right?

whats weird is that, after clearing off the codes from the OBD scanner. I started up my car and the codes didnt show up, I let it idle for 5 min and then went for a 10 min drive and the codes never came back up.

Last edited by Al_335xi; 05-22-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #8
330istocknot
Second Lieutenant
42
Rep
248
Posts

Drives: 330chino
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chino

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_335xi View Post
There's two 02 sensors right? one for Bank 1 and Bank 2. You think I should replace both right?

whats weird is that, after clearing off the codes from the OBD scanner. I started up my car and the codes didnt show up, I let it idle for 5 min and then went for a 10 min drive and the codes never came back up.

Drive it for at least 100 miles.


The codes should pop back up by then. Also, the codes you gave me are pretty generic. Try going to an Indy shop and ask them to give you the DME codes, these codes are more details, and can tell you more.

Try getting the DME codes before replacing anything for now if you can.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #9
Al_335xi
Private
18
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: e92 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330istocknot View Post
Drive it for at least 100 miles.


The codes should pop back up by then. Also, the codes you gave me are pretty generic. Try going to an Indy shop and ask them to give you the DME codes, these codes are more details, and can tell you more.

Try getting the DME codes before replacing anything for now if you can.
Alright thanks, my car has been running great with no issues for a year and a half. Of course, when I decided to plan to sell my car by next month this has to happen lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #10
330istocknot
Second Lieutenant
42
Rep
248
Posts

Drives: 330chino
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: chino

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_335xi View Post
Alright thanks, my car has been running great with no issues for a year and a half. Of course, when I decided to plan to sell my car by next month this has to happen lol.

Same exact thing happen to me, as soon as i posted it for sale, next day someone was coming to see it, and an hour before they came to see the car, my CEL light came on... the timing... get back to me with DME codes and lets get this diagnosed.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
Al_335xi
Private
18
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: e92 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330istocknot View Post
Same exact thing happen to me, as soon as i posted it for sale, next day someone was coming to see it, and an hour before they came to see the car, my CEL light came on... the timing... get back to me with DME codes and lets get this diagnosed.
damn lol, and thanks for your help. ill get back to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #12
lowrydr310
Enlisted Member
5
Rep
34
Posts

Drives: 06 325
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330istocknot View Post
Same exact thing happen to me, as soon as i posted it for sale, next day someone was coming to see it, and an hour before they came to see the car, my CEL light came on... the timing... get back to me with DME codes and lets get this diagnosed.
When was the last time you guys changed plugs and coils? I had all the multiple cylinder misfire codes and rough idle which was fixed by replacing the coils and plugs.

P0171 could be a vacuum leak. Check your crankcase breather hose and oil separator as these are prone to cracking/leaking.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #13
Al_335xi
Private
18
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: e92 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
When was the last time you guys changed plugs and coils? I had all the multiple cylinder misfire codes and rough idle which was fixed by replacing the coils and plugs.

P0171 could be a vacuum leak. Check your crankcase breather hose and oil separator as these are prone to cracking/leaking.
Last time I changed my spark plugs was 15k miles ago because it had rough idle and misfire, but I haven't changed my coils yet. Which I probably should.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #14
ef11
Lieutenant
31
Rep
569
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i Sedan M-Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, Texas

iTrader: (0)

I had some of these same issues.

I replaced coils, plugs, injectors to no avail.

Finally, had the dealership replace the HPFP under warranty and the car runs amazing now with no issues. Not saying that is definitely your issue, but to start having that many misfires all of the sudden, seems it could be the culprit.

I was logging my performance through the JB4 and you could clearly see that the PSI from the HPFP was not keeping up at higher RPMs and I was misfiring.

Also, I had EXTREMELY rough cold starts. Stumbling for over a minute to the point the car would sound like it would turn off...

Good luck!
__________________
2009 E90 335i MSport BSM over Oyster
JB4, VRSF CP, VRSP 5" FMIC, DPs, DCI
Appreciate 1
      06-01-2018, 05:24 PM   #15
Al_335xi
Private
18
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: e92 335xi
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ef11 View Post
I had some of these same issues.

I replaced coils, plugs, injectors to no avail.

Finally, had the dealership replace the HPFP under warranty and the car runs amazing now with no issues. Not saying that is definitely your issue, but to start having that many misfires all of the sudden, seems it could be the culprit.

I was logging my performance through the JB4 and you could clearly see that the PSI from the HPFP was not keeping up at higher RPMs and I was misfiring.

Also, I had EXTREMELY rough cold starts. Stumbling for over a minute to the point the car would sound like it would turn off...

Good luck!
Thanks, but so far I haven't received any codes yet for about 2 weeks after the incident on what happened to me. I've been driving it and waiting to get some codes, so I can go to a local shop and do the DME codes or whatever.
but so far its been running fine. No more misfires as of now.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2018, 05:24 AM   #16
E92booost
New Member
3
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: E92 6 speed 335i
Join Date: May 2018
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Sounds like a vacuum leak, try cleaning your map sensor as well they get dirty and can cause issues but I'm leaning more towards a vacuum leak
__________________
Gv
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:52 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST