E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My LCI e91 M Sport DSB conversion



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
54
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

My LCI e91 M Sport DSB conversion

I've got 15 week old twins. We had already swapped my wife's ride for a Durango R/T and I didn't want another SUV, sure as shit wasn't getting a van. It was the perfect excuse to get my dream car! So I watched for months for an E91 M Sport, I gave up on a manual due to sheer cost. I looked at a few in the Ohio area but they either had tan interior (yuck) or were high miles and terrible shape. I finally found the color I wanted, Deep Sea Blue but after some research found out it wasn't available in M Sport. After opening my search up Nationally I finally found the interior/exterior I was after and it only had 34,000 miles at an amazing price! The downside, it was a rebuilt title...

I worked with the guy, got pictures, repair pictures, carfax and he even took it to a BMW Wagon specialist who provided a detailed inspection. The car was involved in a non traveling front end collision (hit head on while parked) there was some horn rail repair but repaired very well. All parts replaced OEM. The car drives great, tracks straight, and interior was pristine. I keep cars for 8-10 years so I weighed my options and thought it was a smart buy. With the money I saved on negotiated cost I'd be able to fully convert to M Sport and do some engine mods and still be less than buying clean title. Plus who knew when I'd find what I was looking for. I had the same shop who did the inspection do the conversion. Although there was some major f ups in the process (I'll save that for another story) a month or so of waiting, I flew out to Chicago and picked it up.

Here are some before and after pics. I absolutely love the car. Getting the 3 Stage IM installed and tune next week. Still undecided on headers or exhaust.

Before:
Attached Images
      
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
54
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

After

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaellcoates View Post
I've got 15 week old twins. We had already swapped my wife's ride for a Durango R/T and I didn't want another SUV, sure as shit wasn't getting a van. It was the perfect excuse to get my dream car! So I watched for months for an E91 M Sport, I gave up on a manual due to sheer cost. I looked at a few in the Ohio area but they either had tan interior (yuck) or were high miles and terrible shape. I finally found the color I wanted, Deep Sea Blue but after some research found out it wasn't available in M Sport. After opening my search up Nationally I finally found the interior/exterior I was after and it only had 34,000 miles at an amazing price! The downside, it was a rebuilt title...

I worked with the guy, got pictures, repair pictures, carfax and he even took it to a BMW Wagon specialist who provided a detailed inspection. The car was involved in a non traveling front end collision (hit head on while parked) there was some horn rail repair but repaired very well. All parts replaced OEM. The car drives great, tracks straight, and interior was pristine. I keep cars for 8-10 years so I weighed my options and thought it was a smart buy. With the money I saved on negotiated cost I'd be able to fully convert to M Sport and do some engine mods and still be less than buying clean title. Plus who knew when I'd find what I was looking for. I had the same shop who did the inspection do the conversion. Although there was some major f ups in the process (I'll save that for another story) a month or so of waiting, I flew out to Chicago and picked it up.

Here are some before and after pics. I absolutely love the car. Getting the 3 Stage IM installed and tune next week. Still undecided on headers or exhaust.

Before:
After
Attached Images
      
Appreciate 5
      06-10-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
tlow98
Colonel
793
Rep
2,601
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Looks great! Should be a fantastic family ride.

Avantgarde wheels?

Welcome to the E91 club.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
54
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Looks great! Should be a fantastic family ride.

Avantgarde wheels?

Welcome to the E91 club.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Looks great! Should be a fantastic family ride.

Avantgarde wheels?

Welcome to the E91 club.
Thanks! Yeah I have them in Sumitomos, 245/35 in front and 275/30 in back. They are a thinner tire and for the most part fit great. No rolling and don't rub in the back, but got into a situation where I had to put 3 grown ass men back there from the airport and rubbed over bumps and turns. Might think about rolling the fenders. I'm refinishing the 285s and putting Blizzaks on for winter wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
caldep
Private
caldep's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 325xi Touring MT & X1 x28i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Durham, North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Congrats and Nice look and work!
On a similar trek myself, recently found my wagon but not as new as yours

It looks great. and welcome to the club!
__________________
2006 325xi touring MT! 2013 X128xi sport
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #6
Zajac1
Major
Zajac1's Avatar
Poland
154
Rep
1,345
Posts

Drives: 2011 E91 328i MT
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaellcoates View Post
Thanks! Yeah I have them in Sumitomos, 245/35 in front and 275/30 in back. They are a thinner tire and for the most part fit great. No rolling and don't rub in the back, but got into a situation where I had to put 3 grown ass men back there from the airport and rubbed over bumps and turns. Might think about rolling the fenders. I'm refinishing the 285s and putting Blizzaks on for winter wheels.
That's what I was thinking too to rolling the fenders or just to get rid off 12mm spacers. My tires are 265/35/18 rear
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #7
N52UNED
Lieutenant
N52UNED's Avatar
United_States
141
Rep
516
Posts

Drives: '07 328i/330BPC
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sunshine State

iTrader: (1)

Very nice ... gotta dig a souped-up wagon! Quick yet practical. Excellent choice. I traded an A3 wagon in on my e90 sedan. If I didn't already have a Sienna and F350 I would've gone wagon again.

Enjoy your sweet looking ride. Hope for many years of bliss. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
54
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

Well that is frustrating news. Had a wobble on the back right wheel (19x10 M359) shop shows a significant bend in the rim hub. Not only that but two of the 5 lug bolts broke when removed. They think they were over torqued by the shop. I've been the only one to drive my car and haven't hit any potholes, over torqued bolts can't bend a hub right? Sounds stupid I know but I'm at a loss considering they have less than 500 miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
caldep
Private
caldep's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 325xi Touring MT & X1 x28i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Durham, North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Sorry but yes, overtorqued bolts can bend the hubs. Especially if they are torqued unevenly (bolts not brought up to final torque evenly). This usually happens when someone puts one bolt in fully torqued at a time rather than putting all bolts in finger tight using a star pattern. And unfortunately it happens quite frequently.

I install my bolts by hand using a star pattern that crosses the center of the hub. I keep going around this pattern using only my fingers to tighten the bolts. You will be surprised at how tight you can get them this way when done evenly. When I can't tighten them any further (without a wrench) I grab my torque wrench set to 88ft-lbs.
When done properly I usually only have to turn my bolts a 1/4 to 1/2 turn with my torque wrench.

__________________
2006 325xi touring MT! 2013 X128xi sport
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #10
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
54
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldep View Post
Sorry but yes, overtorqued bolts can bend the hubs. Especially if they are torqued unevenly (bolts not brought up to final torque evenly). This usually happens when someone puts one bolt in fully torqued at a time rather than putting all bolts in finger tight using a star pattern. And unfortunately it happens quite frequently.

I install my bolts by hand using a star pattern that crosses the center of the hub. I keep going around this pattern using only my fingers to tighten the bolts. You will be surprised at how tight you can get them this way when done evenly. When I can't tighten them any further (without a wrench) I grab my torque wrench set to 88ft-lbs.
When done properly I usually only have to turn my bolts a 1/4 to 1/2 turn with my torque wrench.

Thanks, although I couldn't find this information anywhere my gut was telling me it was possible
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #11
NYBulldog
Specialist
494
Rep
1,715
Posts

Drives: Nikes
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NuYawk

iTrader: (14)

Very good looking wagon.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #12
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
54
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

Here are the bolts, they are actually warped when you piece them together. The wheel repair shop said his opinion was that the rim was over torqued with an impact in a curricular motion and that's what caused the bend at the hub.

Getting ready to write up a very detailed review of the "performance wagon" shop that did some of the conversion. Was honestly the worst experience I've dealt with ever and I've had some exceptionally shitty service in the past! This was just icing on the cake. Stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #13
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
54
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaellcoates View Post
Here are the bolts, they are actually warped when you piece them together. The wheel repair shop said his opinion was that the rim was over torqued with an impact in a curricular motion and that's what caused the bend at the hub.

Getting ready to write up a very detailed review of the "performance wagon" shop that did some of the conversion. Was honestly the worst experience I've dealt with ever and I've had some exceptionally shitty service in the past! This was just icing on the cake. Stay tuned!
Bolts
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #14
caldep
Private
caldep's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 325xi Touring MT & X1 x28i
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Durham, North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaellcoates View Post
Here are the bolts, they are actually warped when you piece them together. The wheel repair shop said his opinion was that the rim was over torqued with an impact in a curricular motion and that's what caused the bend at the hub.

Getting ready to write up a very detailed review of the "performance wagon" shop that did some of the conversion. Was honestly the worst experience I've dealt with ever and I've had some exceptionally shitty service in the past! This was just icing on the cake. Stay tuned!
That is a real let down. Almost makes me want to install my new wheels myself.
__________________
2006 325xi touring MT! 2013 X128xi sport
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #15
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
54
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaellcoates View Post
Here are the bolts, they are actually warped when you piece them together. The wheel repair shop said his opinion was that the rim was over torqued with an impact in a curricular motion and that's what caused the bend at the hub.

Getting ready to write up a very detailed review of the "performance wagon" shop that did some of the conversion. Was honestly the worst experience I've dealt with ever and I've had some exceptionally shitty service in the past! This was just icing on the cake. Stay tuned!
That is a real let down. Almost makes me want to install my new wheels myself.
Besides that, when I showed up to the shop and saw the car for the first time, there were scratches everywhere from mounting the tires on the wheels. Had over a dozen before it was ever driven. Not to mention, they had the 19/10s on the left side of the car and the 19/9s on the right side. When I figured that out after it seemed off, he tried to reverse the car onto the lift and the rim grinder against the shock in the front. This is literally just a small portion of their mess ups. Can't wait to finally get everything down in writing. I've been waiting on parts from them before doing so and I'm writing off what they haven't sent.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #16
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
54
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

Got the 3 stage IM in. Still need to get the tune. Most likely going with the BPC, I had planned to do the group buy but life happened and missed it.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 11:33 PM   #17
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
54
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

Ok, so updates and input needed.

I've got a performance exhaust Installed, sounds amazing! In the process of installing all shadowline components and OEM M3 side skirts fabbed by Long Tran. I just love how they look on the e91. I am ordering the ESS kit in the next month so will be pushing 300 awhp. Here is my quandary... I recently had some hail damage to the hood and fenders. I really love the look of the M3 fenders and hood but I also love the M Sport bumper. I'm torn between just doing the M3 rep fender and hood and keeping everything else M Sport (besides the M3 side skirts) or going with a full M3 OEM conversion. I just feel if I go the conversion route I'll be tempted to continue with a "full conversion" Including Interior and engine. And i think thats way deeper than i want to go, But I don't want people to judge based on the mixed matches trim prices even thought I've got it supercharged. Do you guys think the rep hood and fenders would look good coupled with m sport bumper and M3 sides or too poserish?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 12:24 AM   #18
tlow98
Colonel
793
Rep
2,601
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaellcoates View Post
Ok, so updates and input needed.

I've got a performance exhaust Installed, sounds amazing! In the process of installing all shadowline components and OEM M3 side skirts fabbed by Long Tran. I just love how they look on the e91. I am ordering the ESS kit in the next month so will be pushing 300 awhp. Here is my quandary... I recently had some hail damage to the hood and fenders. I really love the look of the M3 fenders and hood but I also love the M Sport bumper. I'm torn between just doing the M3 rep fender and hood and keeping everything else M Sport (besides the M3 side skirts) or going with a full M3 OEM conversion. I just feel if I go the conversion route I'll be tempted to continue with a "full conversion" Including Interior and engine. And i think thats way deeper than i want to go, But I don't want people to judge based on the mixed matches trim prices even thought I've got it supercharged. Do you guys think the rep hood and fenders would look good coupled with m sport bumper and M3 sides or too poserish?
I'd be more worried about the fitment of any non OE body panels than the overall aesthetic.

Also, check out a couple of the reviews of the ESS kit on here. I believe more than one member has had some tuning issues with that kit. These may well have been sorted, but it's worth looking into, imo. There are also MILV shims and headers if you're looking for ~15-20 more RWHP while staying N/A.

How did the BPC tune work for you?

Sorry to hear about the wheels/hubs! Hope you got that sorted.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 01:02 AM   #19
FlaPatsFan
Captain
407
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: 2011 328i wagon
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Welcome to the Wagon Gang. I also have converted my 2011 Metallic Black Sapphire 328i E91 into what I call a M+. I have a mixture of M3, M-Sport,Mtech components. From M3 fenders, Mtech rear bumper w/carbon fiber diffuser, M3 brakes and sway bars/bushings/control arms, Msport Seats and steering wheel. Along with all the engine and exhaust upgrades for better breathing and power.

My Non oem fenders fit perfectly. I currently run the lates AA tune with their cat back exhaust system. I am waiting to install AA headers. One thing I would point out is with the upgraded power and stress I have gone through coils and plugs a bit quicker then normal.

Good luck with the build and keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #20
Michaellcoates
Second Lieutenant
Michaellcoates's Avatar
54
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 2012 328i xDrive e91
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kettering ohio

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPatsFan View Post
Welcome to the Wagon Gang. I also have converted my 2011 Metallic Black Sapphire 328i E91 into what I call a M+. I have a mixture of M3, M-Sport,Mtech components. From M3 fenders, Mtech rear bumper w/carbon fiber diffuser, M3 brakes and sway bars/bushings/control arms, Msport Seats and steering wheel. Along with all the engine and exhaust upgrades for better breathing and power.

My Non oem fenders fit perfectly. I currently run the lates AA tune with their cat back exhaust system. I am waiting to install AA headers. One thing I would point out is with the upgraded power and stress I have gone through coils and plugs a bit quicker then normal.

Good luck with the build and keep us updated!
Yeah I just had to install all new coils after hitting 40,000 miles. I don't beat on the car but as you stated, the increased stress with performance components makes the engine work for sure. Do you have a link to photos of the fenders with the M-Sport front?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 10:13 AM   #21
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
6ixSpd's Avatar
Canada
2445
Rep
4,137
Posts

Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (1)

Nice! M Sport wagons are the shit. Great car you've got.
__________________
'12 M3 6MT Alpine White + Fox Red Extended | '09 328i 6MT Space Gray + Saddle Brown

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #22
Drifter2090
Captain
Drifter2090's Avatar
Canada
94
Rep
727
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Love the wagon! You didn't take any shortcuts with the m package parts, can't wait to see what's next
__________________
SG-Coral E92 335i 6MT / AG M359 / MHD Stage 2+ / HPF / BMS / Synapse / KW V2 / Akebono / DBV2 / Remus
2004 Diamond Graphite Infiniti G35 6MT Coupe
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST