E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Washer pump or something else?

04-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #23
E92_William
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post
So, I thought I'd cut open my old (200k mile) pump like mainbearing did just to see how it looked inside.

I'm actually shocked it didn't fail sooner. It looks like a metal marshmallow covered in chipotle dry rub.

Not sure why everyone suggests replacing the strainer. The original one is a two-piece design with a rubber grommet and a flexible plastic sieve attached. While the sieve part is clearly prone to falling off the grommet upon removal of the pump from the tank, once the pump inlet spigot is actually inserted into the grommet base, the sieve piece stays on extremely well. It took a couple minutes to retrieve it from the washer tank, but I would think you'd want to do this regardless of whether you plan on replacing it or not.

The new strainer is an updated design. I used a Genuine BMW part for bragging rights . While it's still two different materials—rubber and flexible plastic—they appear to be molded together. The sieve piece also has far more holes, though I doubt the original one bottlenecked the flow in any way.

The Vemo pump is fine. Looked nearly identical to original BMW pump but was noticeably lighter and the tolerances and overall finish were clearly of inferior quality. I got honeydicked on the country of origin; it's also made in China like every other one. FCP listed it as Czech Republic (same COI as the Genuine part), but I bought mine from RockAuto because it was considerably cheaper. Maybe they had different stock but I really doubt it.
Oh man that looks horrible lol the ones I took apart were rusty as hell but this is on another level. I remember they would barely turn it grabbed on to the shaft with pliers and forced it to rotate.

I've always been somewhat skeptical about rock auto parts. They have good prices and make it seem like you get the part straight from the manufacturers warehouse but idk how much I believe that. So far I haven't had issues with their stuff though so if it's a Chinese knock off like those NGK spark plug clones for Lexus that look identical I haven't noticed.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #24
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Oh man that looks horrible lol the ones I took apart were rusty as hell but this is on another level. I remember they would barely turn it grabbed on to the shaft with pliers and forced it to rotate.

I've always been somewhat skeptical about rock auto parts. They have good prices and make it seem like you get the part straight from the manufacturers warehouse but idk how much I believe that. So far I haven't had issues with their stuff though so if it's a Chinese knock off like those NGK spark plug clones for Lexus that look identical I haven't noticed.
Terrible, right? Haha.

In my opinion, there's no reason to be skeptical of them in terms of getting counterfeit parts—at least not that I've ever heard or experienced. Unlike FCP they sell a lot of shitty parts, but as long as you buy only the good brands, they actually have some pretty decent stuff. So as far as I'm concerned, they're just another reseller that I can compare prices against. (They're also cheaper to ship for me in Canada too, so that sometimes factors.)

FCP had the Vemo pump for $26; RockAuto had it for $16...