E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > N55 Exhaust Cam Stuck

05-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #1
mikal9913
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2

Hello All,

Ive tried doing some research on this issue and haven't come up with too much. Im hoping I can find some info or guidance from everyone on this.

I have a 2011 335i as my daily. Car has ~157k on it.

Car has had the cam gear bolt recall done.

Not too long ago I had an issue start where I got the infamous loud whistling noise. I changed the valve cover with new gasket and hardware as well. The whistling issue went away but the car still seemed to not run exactly right.

Not too long after this I started to get a code for Exhaust Camshaft Stuck (P13C9) that will come in when the car is warmed up. Attempted the easiest thing first which was an oil change. No success. After this we tried vanos solenoids and no success again. Vanos were replaced and set etc...

Is it possible that the cam gears themselves need replaced? Has anyone seen this issue before? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #2
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

To be clear - your exhaust cam does rotate, but the VANOS adjustment doesn't appear to be working??

Do you have MHD to check the value? or any other way??

It could be the gear or it could be the cam sensor (keeps track of position).

How does the car run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikal9913 View Post
Hello All,

Ive tried doing some research on this issue and haven't come up with too much. Im hoping I can find some info or guidance from everyone on this.

Not too long ago I had an issue start where I got the infamous loud whistling noise. I changed the valve cover with new gasket and hardware as well. The whistling issue went away but the car still seemed to not run exactly right.

Not too long after this I started to get a code for Exhaust Camshaft Stuck (P13C9) that will come in when the car is warmed up. Attempted the easiest thing first which was an oil change. No success. After this we tried vanos solenoids and no success again. Vanos were replaced and set etc...

Is it possible that the cam gears themselves need replaced? Has anyone seen this issue before? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
mikal9913
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
To be clear - your exhaust cam does rotate, but the VANOS adjustment doesn't appear to be working??

Do you have MHD to check the value? or any other way??

It could be the gear or it could be the cam sensor (keeps track of position).

How does the car run?

Quote:
Hello All,

The cam does rotate.

We've been using a Schwaben scanner and dont see a place to display the value with this car. However now today the exhaust cam stuck code didnt come back in but an intake cam position not reached (2D5B) came in. You can also at times hear a rattle noise.

Car also runs strange like there's almost a miss when you're driving until these camshaft codes come in.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:30 AM   #4
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
The cam does rotate.

We've been using a Schwaben scanner and dont see a place to display the value with this car. However now today the exhaust cam stuck code didnt come back in but an intake cam position not reached (2D5B) came in. You can also at times hear a rattle noise.

Car also runs strange like there's almost a miss when you're driving until these camshaft codes come in.
This is because the DME is assuming that the logic can be followed. The codes come in and DME runs in a different mode.

I would check connectors/harness/etc. It could be a faulty wire, corroded connector, or harness that has been rubbed through.

I am not familiar with this, as I have not had the same issue, but there should be some ISTA documentation about how to handle the VANOS cam phasers, solenoids, and other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #5
mikal9913
United_States
Rep

My buddy did stumble across this tsb
Attached Images

Appreciate 0