E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > E92 LCI FRM3 - disabling corner LEDs, coding has no effect

09-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
GTwice
Rep
Drives: E92 335is DCT

E92 LCI FRM3 - disabling corner LEDs, coding has no effect

I have a 2011 335is here in Europe. I want to code out corner amber LEDs as they are not required here (probably not even legal). I am familiar with NCS expert coding, I thought it would be quite straightforward.

I tried changing all settings related to corner LEDs/us sidemarkers etc. using NCS dummy. I've found the following related settings and changed to new values:

PARKL_FKT_MIT_POL
aktiv -> nicht aktiv

PWM_POL (wert_03 is 100% PWM, wert_04 supposed to be 0%, effectively off)
wert_03 -> wert_04

PWM_POL_BEI_AKTIVEN_AL
wert_03 -> wert_04

PWM_POL_BEI_AKTIVEN_FL
wert_03 -> wert_04

SL_FKT_MIT_POL
aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

SIDEMARKER_US_MIT_FRA_V
aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_3R (probably unrelated, but while I was at it...)
drl_s -> tfl_s

WL_POL_3R
hart_einschalten -> nicht_aktiv

I also googled and couldn't find any more settings applicable to those LEDs, however after coding all of this they still come on! I'm really at a loss here, I've searched for a while but still nothing, most solutions seem to cover what I did, so why doesn't it work?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwice View Post
I have a 2011 335is here in Europe. I want to code out corner amber LEDs as they are not required here (probably not even legal). I am familiar with NCS expert coding, I thought it would be quite straightforward.

I tried changing all settings related to corner LEDs/us sidemarkers etc. using NCS dummy. I've found the following related settings and changed to new values:

PARKL_FKT_MIT_POL
aktiv -> nicht aktiv

PWM_POL (wert_03 is 100% PWM, wert_04 supposed to be 0%, effectively off)
wert_03 -> wert_04

PWM_POL_BEI_AKTIVEN_AL
wert_03 -> wert_04

PWM_POL_BEI_AKTIVEN_FL
wert_03 -> wert_04

SL_FKT_MIT_POL
aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

SIDEMARKER_US_MIT_FRA_V
aktiv -> nicht_aktiv

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_3R (probably unrelated, but while I was at it...)
drl_s -> tfl_s

WL_POL_3R
hart_einschalten -> nicht_aktiv

I also googled and couldn't find any more settings applicable to those LEDs, however after coding all of this they still come on! I'm really at a loss here, I've searched for a while but still nothing, most solutions seem to cover what I did, so why doesn't it work?
Not possible to disable corner amber led on lci coupes
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
GTwice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Yeah, I'm reading this all over the forums (I'm still not done searching), but why? How come euro coupes don't have this enabled? I actually bought new OEM euro-spec headlights (mine were cracked), and it's still on, so that's not that. Something must be either coded or wired differently.

Well, actually I might have an idea... I just had a look at this TIS:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...light/CkcML29X

If I'm reading this correctly, and "Side marker light" is what those LED's are called by BMW, then they're not directly controlled by FRM, instead they run on the same circuit as licence plate lights. I will test this theory tomorrow.

If I'm right, then they are spliced from licence plate lights at connector X9224, which is located somewhere under the dash:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...cou/1VnYumWaEy

The drawing is not very precise, but could it finally be a solution to un-switchable E92 LCI side marker LEDs? Simply (well, if you call disassembling the dash 'simple') getting to this connector and unplugging it?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #4
Theana9
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Yeah, I'm reading this all over the forums (I'm still not done searching), but why? How come euro coupes don't have this enabled? I actually bought new OEM euro-spec headlights (mine were cracked), and it's still on, so that's not that. Something must be either coded or wired differently.

If I'm reading this correctly, and "Side marker light" is what those LED's are called by BMW, then they're not directly controlled by FRM, instead they run on the same circuit as licence plate lights. I will test this theory tomorrow.

If I'm right, then they are spliced from licence plate lights at connector X9224, which is located somewhere under the dash:

The drawing is not very precise, but could it finally be a solution to un-switchable E92 LCI side marker LEDs? Simply (well, if you call disassembling the dash 'simple') getting to this connector and unplugging it?
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
sdbmwcoding
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post

Try it out, I've read it's possible to just disconnect the connector for the amber LED's and code out the bulb warning that appears for it but I've never seen precise information on where it'd be located. Seems like you're on the right path, keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 05:39 PM   #6
Simoniak
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

When U use NCSDummy and search for parameter to change do U see something with "US" value? In older cars like E46 U need to change some parameters from "us" to "ece".
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 01:53 AM   #7
GTwice
Rep

Yup, that's confirmed - amber corner LEDs come together with licence plate lights. To make sure I've coded some changes (DRL with/without licence plate) and they always follow.
Now, the big question is how to get to this connector (not being sure it even exists and it's not a soldered connection or something). Judging by the single picture, it might require dash and HVAC unit removal, way too much work for the result... To anyone who has ever disassembled the dash - is there any chance of accessing this area by only removing HVAC/radio panels?

EDIT: tried to access it but seems too much trouble... anyway, I just found out that it's possible to simply unplug the LED connector inside the headlamp itself, so that's the end of the story.

Last edited by GTwice; 09-23-2019 at 04:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:45 AM   #8
Simoniak
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Try this:
DRL_TFL_MIT_SML_3R. to nicht_activ

DRL_TFL_MIT_BLK_V_GED. to nicht_activ

VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_3R to drl_h
And let me know it works or not. You can upload your frm trc file.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #9
sdbmwcoding
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bumping up, were you able to make any progress?
Appreciate 0