E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Another injector codes and stuttering problem thread ugh

07-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Another injector codes and stuttering problem thread ugh

Mornings folks. Well after my car being trouble free for a while and having CBU cleaning 10k miles ago, the damn SES light came on.

This is what I see:

Code 4B05 - Set zero adjustment cylinder 4 injector.
Code 4AE6 - Set zero adjustment cylinder 2 injector.
Code 4593 - Smoothness regulator cylinder 2 injector correction amount by adjusting the range.
Code 4592 - Smoothness regulator cylinder 4 injector correction amount by adjusting the range.

My car idles a little rough and when I accelerate slowly it seems to stutter. All these codes were taken from the BMW Carly app. I had CBU cleaning done at around ~59k miles and I just hit 71k miles yesterday.

Thoughts? Could it be another CBU problem? Maybe the injectors are really bad this time? I cleared the codes to turn off the SES light and now it was idling ok...for now.

I searched the forum and everything seems to fall back on CBU...again.

Last edited by geost; 07-01-2016 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #2
gavronm
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

I kept getting those codes after my CBU cleaning as well. Went through a few injectors, which may or may not have been bad, and finally got it sorted after the dealer tech performed a lengthy and arduous procedure for resetting the injector adaptations AND wheel adaptations (tech didn't do the wheel adaptations the first couple of times). Fortunately I was under CPO.

Relevant thread (read the thread linked near the end of this one, too)

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1180743

Of course my issues popped up right away, the fact that you've gone 10K without codes creates some uncertainty.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #3
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you so much for that information. After reading that thread, I'm wondering if my only hope is to take it to the dealer and explain to them what is going on and possibly show them that service bulletin. It doesn't seem like something an indy shop can do..

And yes, my adaptations were never reset after my CBU cleaning.
      07-02-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Start with the adaptation reset for the incremental wheel and the injectors. This may cause the engine to be a bit louder until the zero-mass re-adapts for pre-injection. To readapt quicker - although it continually occurs under normal driving - accelerate in a manual gear to 2500 and let the engine overrun (no throttle) back to idle. This will take a while until the average values for all 6 cylinders are set at the 400 / 700 / 1000 bar rail pressure set points.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 11:04 PM   #5
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just to understand what you said, basically shift to DS mode and M1 (for example) and accelerate to 2500 rpm then left off the throttle and let it slow (come back to idle) down? Do I do this several times? Thanks!
      07-02-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
335inDe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i

Have the same issues with my D so I unplugged the throttle line which deactivates EGR, now it is running perfect and much better throttle response..only downside is the CEL but I'll live with that.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #7
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by geost View Post
Just to understand what you said, basically shift to DS mode and M1 (for example) and accelerate to 2500 rpm then left off the throttle and let it slow (come back to idle) down? Do I do this several times? Thanks!
Did you fix your issue, and how?
I have the exact engine stuttering issue, CBU clean at 71K miles
and at 77K miles codes showed, I treated the engine with double dose
Power Service Diesel Clean, issue went away until 83K miles now same fault codes
came back, but showed different injectors than yours

P02D4 - Injector 5 – offset learning at minimum limit
after this code, the car stutters below 1000 RPM but not at idle
P02D1 - Cylinder 3 Fuel Injector Offset Learning At Max Limit
P20EE - SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold
'11 335d + BMW Perf Susp + JL600 +Technic Harness + Bavsound Stage One + Injector #3 replaced and other 5 cleaned by diesel shop+Fuel filter and EGR valve replaced
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 05:02 AM   #8
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Quote:
Yes or M2 - these adaptations only occur during overrun (no fuel injection) the injector(s) are selectively activated ever so little just until thrust movement of the crankshaft is detected. The adapted value is used with the mapped pre-injection quantity.

It is important that the crankshaft incremental wheel adaptation and all injector zero-mass (NMK) adaptation are cleared after carbon cleaning.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #9
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerup-sonny View Post
Did you fix your issue, and how?
I have the exact engine stuttering issue, CBU clean at 71K miles
and at 77K miles codes showed, I treated the engine with double dose
Power Service Diesel Clean, issue went away until 83K miles now same fault codes
came back, but showed different injectors than yours

P02D4 - Injector 5 – offset learning at minimum limit
after this code, the car stutters below 1000 RPM but not at idle
P02D1 - Cylinder 3 Fuel Injector Offset Learning At Max Limit
P20EE - SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold
I have not. I tried the method described above but this time only 2 codes came back:

Code 4AE6 - Set zero adjustment cylinder 2 injector.
Code 4593 - Smoothness regulator cylinder 2 injector correction amount by adjusting the range.

The SES light is still on but the car is running fine. It's not stuttering anymore (that I can tell). So I'll probably try the described method again, clear the SES light and see what happens. Otherwise I don't know what to do. I'd hate to visit the dealer. I started a new job close to home and the dealer in that area is kind of meh (and pricey $$ of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
Yes or M2 - these adaptations only occur during overrun (no fuel injection) the injector(s) are selectively activated ever so little just until thrust movement of the crankshaft is detected. The adapted value is used with the mapped pre-injection quantity.

It is important that the crankshaft incremental wheel adaptation and all injector zero-mass (NMK) adaptation are cleared after carbon cleaning.
I'll try this method again over the weekend and clear the SES light. Thanks!
      07-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #10
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
I'll try this method again over the weekend and clear the SES light. Thanks!
Did you do the adaptation resets or are you just trying to do it without resets? You need to reset the adaptations before performing the procedure ingenieur suggested, resetting the adaptations is key to getting the car running correctly after CBU cleanup.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
bimmerup-sonny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Did you do the adaptation resets or are you just trying to do it without resets? You need to reset the adaptations before performing the procedure ingenieur suggested, resetting the adaptations is key to getting the car running correctly after CBU cleanup.
Hi Hoooper,
I am going thru the engine stuttering at low RPMs now, with various injector codes too.
I have read your other posts too, but so far I don't recall how to do this "adaptation resets". Is this a procedure that we can do or need to be at dealer/BMW repair shop?
'11 335d + BMW Perf Susp + JL600 +Technic Harness + Bavsound Stage One + Injector #3 replaced and other 5 cleaned by diesel shop+Fuel filter and EGR valve replaced
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #12
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Sorry for late reply, new job has kept me busy. Surprisingly the SES light went away by itself over a week ago. The car doesn't stutter or anything anymore. Even though it went away, I'd still like to reset the adaptations if possible just to be safe.

How do I reset them? Do I *need* to take it to the dealer (dealer specific?) or can an good indy shop do it? I contacted a few shops and no one wants to touch it cuz it's diesel. Sigh. This car can be a PITA sometimes.. haha
      11-07-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Dammit all to hell. On my way home from work my SES light came on today:

4AE6 - Set zero adjustment cylinder 2 injector
4B05 - Set zero adjustment cylinder 4 injector

I'm going to assume that I finally and really need to reset the injector AND wheel adaptations correct? Anyone have a ballpark figure on how much the stealership charges?

The car is stuttering at idle, and now when I'm driving say about 40 mph, I can feel it stuttering along.
      11-08-2016, 02:51 AM   #14
335dsleeper
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 335d 10'35D

Ugh, that sucks!

If you need Injectors, you can find low kilometer used Injectors on eBay.uk. I have a guy if you need to replace them and don't want to pay $500-600 per injectors.

Last edited by 335dsleeper; 11-08-2016 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 07:09 AM   #15
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

damn it Im fucked hope I can resolve this freaking issue as well
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #16
Hoooper
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335D

No idea what the dealership charges but it really shouldnt be that bad since its just a little time and no parts. Thats assuming you can convince them to just do it and not try to charge you for diagnostics, replacing injectors, and other time wasting nonsense you dont need.

Where in norcal are you located? You could always try to find someone with the right software for performing the reset.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #17
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'm in Livermore. I contacted Trackspec last night (the shop that cleaned my CBU) and they responded right away to bring it in. They can do it. So I'm going to take it in next week. The 335d sure can drive us crazy!! Haha
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
cruicad
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Diesel Purge?

After CBU, I had the same issue. Couple of injector codes. I searched around and was about to get rid of the car when I talked to my friend who uses Liqui-Moly Diesel Purge with each oil change. At $20/bottle, I figured what the hell. 12k miles, no CEL yet. Not saying it is a solution, but seems to have worked for my car.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 02:45 PM   #19
VladDiesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d (SOLD)

Found the Problem?

Quote:
I'm in Livermore. I contacted Trackspec last night (the shop that cleaned my CBU) and they responded right away to bring it in. They can do it. So I'm going to take it in next week. The 335d sure can drive us crazy!! Haha
Did you find out what the issue was? I am having the same issue right now.