E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Liquid molly additives ( jectron, injector cleaner)

03-04-2021, 01:42 AM   #1
Dullah655
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Liquid molly additives ( jectron, injector cleaner)

Anyone used these before ? I have a n55 e92 44k miles, no issues,planning on using these because why not... if you have please tell me your experience with them . Thanks.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jec...ui-moly-lm2007

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/ven...ui-moly-lm2001
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 06:09 AM   #2
Korz55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 328xi MT Coupe

Not familiar with either of these. I however recommend Techron - have used it for years with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 11:18 PM   #3
mehrlovin
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E90

I am tempted to try it out. If you can skip the walnut blasting and clean the valves with this, that would be huge.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #4
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 MT6

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
The LM Valve Cleaner will be of almost exactly zero benefit to an N54/N55, or most any other Direct Injection engine. The valve cleaner product is designed for port injection engines, where the fuel injectors are in the intake manifold, and spray atomized fuel on the intake valves before entering the cylinder head where it is ignited by the spark plug. Valve cleaners can help in port injection situations by the action of continually spraying gasoline (a solvent) over the valves. However, you have a direct injection engine, where the fuel injector sprays high pressure fuel directly into the cylinder head. Fuel (and the diluted valve cleaner) never passes the valves.

The LM Jectron fuel injector is a different story. Like competing product Techron, it can clean dirty injectors, but its more effective if used at regular intervals (like every fourth tank) to keep them from getting dirty in the first place. If you already have a clogged and malfunctioning injector, Jectron might help, but you might already be past the point where dumping something in your gas tank will solve the problem. I would go ahead and run a few cans through your tank - certainly won't hurt.

In any case, consistent use of high quality fuel will avoid most of the problems that come with dirty fuel lines or clogged injectors.

...And as far as walnut blasting gunked up intakes is concerned, running an oil catch can and keeping your PCV clean and functioning are about the only things you can do to stave off the inevitable need to remove the manifold and clean the stuff off. In BMWs, preventative maintenance is always the key to avoiding trouble.

Last edited by E93Dude; 03-12-2021 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
whyzee1251660.50
      03-15-2021, 01:44 AM   #5
Dullah655
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Dude View Post
The LM Valve Cleaner will be of almost exactly zero benefit to an N54/N55, or most any other Direct Injection engine. The valve cleaner product is designed for port injection engines, where the fuel injectors are in the intake manifold, and spray atomized fuel on the intake valves before entering the cylinder head where it is ignited by the spark plug. Valve cleaners can help in port injection situations by the action of continually spraying gasoline (a solvent) over the valves. However, you have a direct injection engine, where the fuel injector sprays high pressure fuel directly into the cylinder head. Fuel (and the diluted valve cleaner) never passes the valves.

The LM Jectron fuel injector is a different story. Like competing product Techron, it can clean dirty injectors, but its more effective if used at regular intervals (like every fourth tank) to keep them from getting dirty in the first place. If you already have a clogged and malfunctioning injector, Jectron might help, but you might already be past the point where dumping something in your gas tank will solve the problem. I would go ahead and run a few cans through your tank - certainly won't hurt.

In any case, consistent use of high quality fuel will avoid most of the problems that come with dirty fuel lines or clogged injectors.

...And as far as walnut blasting gunked up intakes is concerned, running an oil catch can and keeping your PCV clean and functioning are about the only things you can do to stave off the inevitable need to remove the manifold and clean the stuff off. In BMWs, preventative maintenance is always the key to avoiding trouble.
Quote:

I live in Chicago, our weather can be tricky. I was told to not get an oil catch can as it would do me more bad then good. Any reason why I should ?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #6
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullah655 View Post
I live in Chicago, our weather can be tricky. I was told to not get an oil catch can as it would do me more bad then good. Any reason why I should ?
Hm. I've never heard that colder weather could be an issue. Remember that an OCC takes the vaporized oil, fuel AND water from your crankcase and recirculates it back into the charge pipe, and eventually intake manifold so that they can be combusted and vented out through the catalytic converer and exhaust. There are two reasons I can think of why cold weather climate might affect a OCC:

-- One is due to the fact that the OCC collects and stores the gunk, some of which is condensed water, until you empty it. Water expands when it freezes, but I really don't think this is a problem, since the OCC only collects a few ounces of liquid in total, and the small percentage of that which is water really won't expland enough to fill up the OCC void and clog things. Plus, being mixed with distillates which act like antifreeze, no water ice probably ever forms anyway.

-- Other possibility is that cold weather may lead to the OCC collecting more liquids and filling up faster. See, the OCC works on the principle that as the heated vapors are taken out of the crankcase, they cool, and condense out into liquid in the OCC (this is partially why fluffy gaseous clouds eventually turn into rain drops). This is also why Mishimoto makes their N54 OCC with longer hoses so that you position it at the front of the car where it gets the most outside air cooling the OCC and increasing the vapor condensing. Colder air = more and quicker condensation.

Where I live we get <32F days in winter, and I've never heard of either of these causing a problem. If you install an OCC, check it every couple hundred miles at the begining to guage how much it collects, and then callibrate your routine going forward. BLOT, get the OCC. It will save you headache in the long run.

Last edited by E93Dude; 03-20-2021 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 06:05 PM   #7
Dullah655
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hm. I've never heard that colder weather could be an issue. Remember that an OCC takes the vaporized oil, fuel AND water from your crankcase and recirculates it back into the charge pipe, and eventually intake manifold so that they can be combusted and vented out through the catalytic converer and exhaust. There are two reasons I can think of why cold weather climate might affect a OCC:

-- One is due to the fact that the OCC collects and stores the gunk, some of which is condensed water, until you empty it. Water freezes, but I really don't think this is a problem, since the OCC only collects a few ounces of liquid in total, and the small percentage of that which is water really won't expland enough to fill up the OCC void and clog things. Plus, being mixed with distillates which act like antifreeze, no water ice probably ever forms anyway.

-- Other possibility is that cold weather may lead to the OCC collecting more liquids and filling up faster. See, the OCC works on the principle that as the heated vapors are taken out of the crankcase, they cool, and condense out into liquid in the OCC (this is partially why fluffy gaseous clouds eventually turn into rain drops). This is also why Mishimoto makes their N54 OCC with longer hoses so that you position it at the front of the car where it gets the most outside air cooling the OCC and increasing the vapor condensing. Colder air = more and quicker condensation.

Where I live we get <32F days in winter, and I've never heard of either of these causing a problem. If you install an OCC, check it every couple hundred miles at the begining to guage how much it collects, and then callibrate your routine going forward. BLOT, get the OCC. It will save you headache in the long run.
Any occ you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 07:20 PM   #8
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
I've used them in the past on another vehicle, but for my E93 I only recently got around to buying one, but have not installed it yet. I've owned the car since 2012, and really should have gotten on this sooner: when I walnut blasted my intakes at 100K miles they were awful. An OCC years ago would have eased the PITA that was cleaning them.

I wanted to get the Mishimoto OCC that mounts to the front of the engine bay. Google the part number "MMBCC-N54-06CBE2" and you will see it. However, I didn't want to pay nearly $200 for what is essentially machined aluminum and rubber hose. There are many copy-cat versions on Amazon and eBay that look like they rolled off the exactly same assembly line as the Mishis. I bought one off Amazon by TASAN Racing - search "B07KK81KMG" in Amazon. Its $20. The Mishi gets good reviews, and since this is virutally a carbon copy, I'm cautiously optimistic. With this particular OCC, note that you will have to buy your own hose and a mounting clamp. There are other more expensive options out there that include everything in the kit. If it ends up being crap I'll buy something more expensive from a name brand.
      03-16-2021, 05:14 AM   #9
Dullah655
Private
Rep

Quote:
I've used them in the past on another vehicle, but for my E93 I only recently got around to buying one, but have not installed it yet. I've owned the car since 2012, and really should have gotten on this sooner: when I walnut blasted my intakes at 100K miles they were awful. An OCC years ago would have eased the PITA that was cleaning them.

I wanted to get the Mishimoto OCC that mounts to the front of the engine bay. Google the part number "MMBCC-N54-06CBE2" and you will see it. However, I didn't want to pay nearly $200 for what is essentially machined aluminum and rubber hose. There are many copy-cat versions on Amazon and eBay that look like they rolled off the exactly same assembly line as the Mishis. I bought one off Amazon by TASAN Racing - search "B07KK81KMG" in Amazon. Its $20. The Mishi gets good reviews, and since this is virutally a carbon copy, I'm cautiously optimistic. With this particular OCC, note that you will have to buy your own hose and a mounting clamp. There are other more expensive options out there that include everything in the kit. If it ends up being crap I'll buy something more expensive from a name brand.
Quote:

A friend of mine told me that an occ on a N55e is useless . I do own a N55. I have a feeling youre n54?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 12:35 PM   #10
E93Dude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
A friend of mine told me that an occ on a N55e is useless . I do own a N55. I have a feeling youre n54?
Yes, I have an N54. The N55 was a modification of the N54, with the biggest difference (at least in the 335's) being that it utilized one large turbo, instead of the two smaller turbos on the N54. Others on this forum can speak more authoritatively on the other differences. That said, the core flaw in the N54 which makes an OCC an important aftermarket upgrade, is the fact that its a gasoline direct injection engine, which the N55 is also. BMW may have engineered some fixes into the N55 to help reduce carbon buildup in the intake manifolds, but I do not believe that the issue was entirely resolved. FWIW Mishimoto an other brands market OCCs for N55 based BMWs, so I'm sure that means its still an issue with this newer engine.
      03-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #11
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

The valve cleaner won't do anything as the fuel never touches the valves which is why these get carbon buildup in the first place. The injector cleaner is fine. I use the techron one occasionally. It's on sale sometimes for like $8 and is the same one you'd get from the BMW dealer.
Appreciate 1