E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > New amp with stock subs

04-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
JoeyDoom
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

New amp with stock subs

Would simply upgrading the stock subs in my logic 7 system with a dedicated amp help anything at all? i don't need a tooooon of bass, but a little more than stock would be nice.

is it going to be the same thing as the stock amp? is upgrading the subs necessary?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

#1a bang for your buck: Add an aftermarket amp to the stock subs.
#1b bang for your buck: SWS-8 subs in combination with an aftermarket amp.

I have done both, in stages, and both upgrades are highly recommended.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
RipsE92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

The stock subs try to play to wide of a freq range. This is what I did.

First, let me start out by saying that I think the Logic 7 sound from 250 Hz and up sounds great for a stock sound system. It’s just that lower end that needs a little help. A little more power to the speakers under the seats, and a sealed sub with some good power to drive it is the answer.

So, first I tapped into the sub wires coming out of the stock amp, split the wires into 2 separate inputs (Sub & speakers under seats) and put them into an Audio Control LC6i line converter. This unit also has a sub gain control, which I mounted in the center console.

From there I went into one of the new digital amps from JL, an HD 600/4. I must say that these new HD amps from JL are very impressive! This amp that I picked will send 150W to the speakers under the seats, and 300W to the Sub. Speaking of the sub, I choose a JL 10W3v3, which I find to be very musical sounding in a small sealed enclosure.

Next was building the sealed enclosure (about .625 cu ft ) for the Sub … I choose a rear firing box and I decided to mount the equipment on the front of the box, so you can get at the stuff when you put the seats down.

Next was tuning the gains and x-over points between the subs and under seat speakers. I found bring the x-over point up a bit on the speakers under the seats made the transition between the Sub and seat speakers work best, and I could drive the seat speakers a little more with a higher x-over point.

Now the results ….. all I can say is ‘HOLY F’n CRAP!!’ This system sounds incredible!!! I wasn’t sure if I should add more power or replace the other drivers with Morel, or Dynaudio, or just keep them stock. Well boys and girls, no need for changing out all the drivers … just boost the low end of your system and you will be jumping for joy!!

Appreciate 1
      04-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyDoom View Post
Would simply upgrading the stock subs in my logic 7 system with a dedicated amp help anything at all? i don't need a tooooon of bass, but a little more than stock would be nice.

is it going to be the same thing as the stock amp? is upgrading the subs necessary?
The only times I know of that this has been tried, the OEM woofers have blown, UNLESS they are high-passed as midbass drivers.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #5
jcarlucci1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

I've done it..works pretty well with a 40-50 watt x 2 rms amp. Lots more bass
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
SBF E90
Rep
Drives: 07 Black E90

I did the same thing RIPSE92 did. However, I went with ported 12s and a little more power. Holy S@#*! Sounds great with the stock mids and highs.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
freemanjc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBF E90 View Post
I did the same thing RIPSE92 did. However, I went with ported 12s and a little more power. Holy S@#*! Sounds great with the stock mids and highs.
What ported 12 sub box did you get in your car. I have a
33OI, 2006 and the trunk seems kind of small for 2 ported 12 subs?

Please, I am excited to know what subs and box dimensions1

r,

Freeway
Appreciate 0