E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede v5 vs Alpha JB4 on a closed track

08-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #265
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveon2legs View Post
Bump.

I must say, for someone who is completely new to the tuning world and comes in knowing basically nothing, this thread has been fascinating and informative.

I am wondering now, though, nearly 3 years later, how people feel about the safety and performance upgrades that have been made since the last post.

Have the knocking concerns expressed by those in this thread been addressed?

Are these 2 tunes still "neck and neck", performance wise?

Thanks in advance.

Not trying to

At the end of the day, we all do about the same thing to achieve the same goals. The tunes are still "neck and neck" performance wise! Really depends on what you are focusing on as your premise. Both tuners "Shiv & Terry" still banter like school girls, but some things never change. (Love Hate Relationship)

The biggest change from 3 years ago is the fact that we have hit the ceiling with regard to the stock DME and most cars running piggyback tunes are requiring back end flash tuning for fueling and some additional tweaks that can't be done with the piggyback to maximize the effectiveness of the tune.

Now the big debate is if we really need to stay with the piggybacks or just go flash. Advancements in flash tuning have opened up the doors and we are no longer stuck with overpriced flash tunes that are over rated and don't provide the same level of performance. (you know which vendors I'm talking about)

All in all, it's a good time to own a used N54, and with Rob Beck stepping up taking on the N55 turbo upgrade project, we can only wait and see what we have in store with the N55 cars. I honestly think we'll have less issues to overcome with the N55 twin scroll if the engines can handle the power.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #266
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Lol.....back from the dead!

These days I am running a lot more boost (18-19 psi), a methanol kit, and a lot more timing correction to keep knock events to a minimum.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #267
aliveon2legs
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Not trying to

At the end of the day, we all do about the same thing to achieve the same goals. The tunes are still "neck and neck" performance wise! Really depends on what you are focusing on as your premise. Both tuners "Shiv & Terry" still banter like school girls, but some things never change. (Love Hate Relationship)

The biggest change from 3 years ago is the fact that we have hit the ceiling with regard to the stock DME and most cars running piggyback tunes are requiring back end flash tuning for fueling and some additional tweaks that can't be done with the piggyback to maximize the effectiveness of the tune.

Now the big debate is if we really need to stay with the piggybacks or just go flash. Advancements in flash tuning have opened up the doors and we are no longer stuck with overpriced flash tunes that are over rated and don't provide the same level of performance. (you know which vendors I'm talking about)
Thanks for the response. I'm still struggling to understand what all of this means, in the broader sense, and more specifically with regards to my personal goals.

Quote:
All in all, it's a good time to own a used N54, and with Rob Beck stepping up taking on the N55 turbo upgrade project, we can only wait and see what we have in store with the N55 cars. I honestly think we'll have less issues to overcome with the N55 twin scroll if the engines can handle the power.
I've only recently purchased my N54, so I doubt that I'll ever have the privilege of owning an N55. I am very interested in the Vishnu single turbo kit, once it's in my budget. That will probably be a while, though.

I guess getting down to the root of my question; do you (or anyone here) feel that I am "safe" with my current configuration, which is a G5 JB4 (map 2), DCI intake and Macht Schnell downpipes, or is there anything else that I should be looking to upgrade?

I'm very new to the car enthusiast/mod world. My previous car was a 2001 Cavalier... so I apologize if my questions are a little basic.

Last edited by aliveon2legs; 08-10-2013 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #268
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the response. I'm still struggling to understand what all of this means, in the broader sense, and more specifically with regards to my personal goals.

I've only recently purchased my N54, so I doubt that I'll ever have the privilege of owning an N55. I am very interested in the Vishnu single turbo kit, once it's in my budget. That will probably be a while, though.

I guess getting down to the root of my question; do you (or anyone here) feel that I am "safe" with my current configuration, which is a G5 JB4 (map 2), DCI intake and Macht Schnell downpipes, or is there anything else that I should be looking to upgrade?

I'm very new to the car enthusiast/mod world. My previous car was a 2001 Cavalier... so I apologize if my questions are a little basic.
Perfect. If you have any support questions, just contact BMS and Terry will assist you.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #269
aliveon2legs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Perfect. If you have any support questions, just contact BMS and Terry will assist you.
Or I could ask here, where, as it was put earlier in this thread, 'people aren't trying to sell you something'.

I'm just trying to protect my investment, like anybody else. I appreciate the concerns that people here had about the JB3 and JB4 Alpha, but a lot of time has passed. I have no idea if those concerns still exist or if they have been addressed. All that I can do is ask.

I fully acknowledge that I'm coming into this with very limited knowledge, but I'm a pretty quick learner.

So, let me try this another way...

A) For those that were concerned with engine knocks, are you still?

B) If you answered yes to A, do you believe that I should be concerned with my (relatively) low hp, low psi setup (DPs, DCI, JB4 (14-15 psi)), or is it really just a problem for people running alcohol and more psi?

I do have long term goals for far more hp, and I want to do it right, but in the meantime I obviously don't want to mess anything up.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #270
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:

Do some logs and see how they look.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #271
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Do some logs and see how they look.
I agree. The only way you'll know if the tune is right for your car the way it's setup is to log.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #272
zeel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 AW e92 335i

Garage List
Ps. Terry has amazing support and won't try to upsell you anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #273
Dmacc
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Log and adjust, rinse, repeat.

thanks to MGallop
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 01:50 PM   #274
aliveon2legs
Rep

Thanks guys, that sounds like good advice.

I'll work on getting some logging done.
Appreciate 0