E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Is it the Microfiber or the QD?

01-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
rkavanau
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 f30 335 xdrive, m sport,

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Is it the Microfiber or the QD?

I recently started using diluted ONR as a quick detailer. After my last wash I went over the car with this using the DI ultra plush (http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...-S1/thick/blue) microfiber towels. Car looked pretty good in the garage, but once I took it out for some errands the next day I noticed that both sides of the car were heavily marred. Not just a few small imperfections like something got in my mit during the wash, but in the sun the entire side of the car lit up like a Christmas tree with scratches. I would compare it to someone wiping down the entire car with sandpaper.

I went back home and 1 light pass with the PC and M205 took care of it.

Since I switched over, I've noticed that the diluted ONR isn't nearly as "slick" as some of the other QD's I've used. On top of that, my microfiber hasn't felt right recently. The feeling is hard to describe, but it doesn't seem as soft and almost has a clingy sensation in your hand. It also seems to "stick" to the paint once it gets damp (causing me to use more pressure to move it across the paint).

I always wash my microfiber separately with the microfiber detergent (http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...09/1000-ml-S1/). However, upon some investigation I found that my wife had put one of those Bounce Bars in the dryer (semi-permanent dryer sheets).

I'm pretty sure this is the cause, but do you think it was the microfiber that caused the marring? FYI, when I apply I always try to use the least amount of pressure, and use long, straight passes with the "grain" of the paint. In addition to ultra plush towels, my waffle weave drying towel was also subjected to the bounce bar. Is the bounce bar be the reason my microfiber feels like $h^t? If so, are they trash, or can these be restored with a few washes? On a side note, does anyone have a preference between the microfiber wash I posted above vs. the Chemical guys one?

2013-2017: 2011 335i e90 msport

2009-2013: 2008 328xi E92
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Zechariaha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Ive had better luck with syntheic chamois as far as marring the paint, The bounce bar may have ruined your towels but they can sometimes be brought back to life with washing with a little fabric softner or also you can add some vingegar then wash with just water. On a side note if you want to switch up for QD spray try the CG Speed Wipe its anti static and leaves it pretty slick. The CG MF wash works well also
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

No Fabric softener at all do not use it as suggested above. Soak your towels in very hot water, then re wash using the MF detergent and add some white vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Dryer sheets or fabric softener can clog the pores or the area between the threads on MF products and can do it fast. Avoid those at all cost. I air dry my towels, wash separately from all other items and tend to group them together unless some are really dirty. When they get clogged you can soak them as above or presoak in detergent to remove the polish residue. Some polishes like Duragloss or Klasse are really hard to remove from towels and pads hence the need to soak.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Miami
these cars become an addiction :/
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 328i

lol @ fabric softener, id go with bobbles idea.
9-tenths of a second is a hell of a lot of time!!! That's walking all over the AMG. In fact, not only is that walking all over it, that's finishing, jumping out of the car, shitting in your own hand and throwing it at the AMG as it drives by to finish its lap.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Zechariaha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Works for me. im not talking alot a little helps then wash with water and vinegar. I wash alot of MF's this way everyday and mine stay nice so idk
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
I aways use baking soda and vinegar when i wash mine. Leave the washer machine fresh after cycle lol
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
No Fabric softener at all do not use it as suggested above. Soak your towels in very hot water, then re wash using the MF detergent and add some white vinegar in the rinse cycle.

Dryer sheets or fabric softener can clog the pores or the area between the threads on MF products and can do it fast. Avoid those at all cost. I air dry my towels, wash separately from all other items and tend to group them together unless some are really dirty. When they get clogged you can soak them as above or presoak in detergent to remove the polish residue. Some polishes like Duragloss or Klasse are really hard to remove from towels and pads hence the need to soak.
What he said......

Also the microfiber towels are totally paint safe so the only way they would mar the paint is if the collect contaminants or there are contaminants on the surface being wiped in. If you miss that slick feeling maybe switch back to a quick detailer like Poorboy's World Spray & Wipe (S&W) or the Optimum Instant Detailer & Gloss Enhancer and a plush microfiber towel.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0