E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Water spots...

01-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
mrogo44
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: test

Water spots...

What is the best way to get rid of water spots? I've read so many different remedies, but has anyone had successful results with a specific method? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
Greg Nichols
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CAR

It depends..........

I would try 50/50 distilled water and vinegar, then straight vinegar. If thoes steps fail you can use Chemical guys water spot remover, if that fails they are likely etched in the paint and you need a compounding/polishing.

Cheers,
GREG
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Rickstir
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xI Couple

you can also try these products,

P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser. I had good success on my black sapphire paint removing light water spot marks.

Dodo Juice Lime Prime Pre-Wax Cleanser Polish I bought it, but have not used it yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
mrogo44
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
It depends..........

I would try 50/50 distilled water and vinegar, then straight vinegar. If thoes steps fail you can use Chemical guys water spot remover, if that fails they are likely etched in the paint and you need a compounding/polishing.

Cheers,
GREG
I've heard using vinegar can sometimes eat up the paint, have you had any trouble with that?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
mrogo44
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickstir View Post
you can also try these products,

P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser. I had good success on my black sapphire paint removing light water spot marks.

Dodo Juice Lime Prime Pre-Wax Cleanser Polish I bought it, but have not used it yet.
Is P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser a wax or polish replacement?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
ChuckBMW3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogo44 View Post
Is P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser a wax or polish replacement?
It's not wax, more of a non-abrasive polish...

How long have the spots been present? If it's a matter of months (vs days or a week) then they are most likely etched into the paint.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #7
Rickstir
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xI Couple

i would avoid the vinegar solution if it were me. I contemplated it, but as pointed out above, I had heard it could eat into your paint. I had good success with the P21 solution, but I did have to apply it 3 times. It is a very mild abrasive paint cleaner pre-wax solution. The Dodo juice actually looks and feels slightly more abrasive, but I did not have to use it.

If the marks do not come, I suggest hiring a pro detailer.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
mrogo44
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

im gonna go to the store and get this stuff and see how it turns out.

thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

I know you are trying to get rid of water spots, but here's a hint for avoiding them when you wash. Spend about $3 for 4 gallons of distilled water from the local Walmart or other store (Walmart seems to be cheapest), then use these as a final rinse after you spray off your car after washing...make sure the car stays wet, then just sheet the distilled water over the car, making sure to splash onto areas that don't easily get wet. Then dry as usual with good quality MF towels...it'll do wonders...no water spots

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Typically a washing, vinegar/water solution or a clay bar will not remove the water marks, they only works when it's a light residue on the surface. Unfortunately many water marks actually lightly etch in to the surface and in these instances you'll need a stronger option. The Chemical Guys Water Spot Remover can be used to remove light etchings that are hard to see or feel. This is a really strong cleaning formula that should be used with care. The more traditional option is to polish that area, starting with a less aggressive polish to a stronger one. I would suggest starting with medium pressure and a polish like the Meguiar's M205 and move up to the M105 if need be. If that doesn't work you may need the extra power of a buffer to help work those polishes in. With the the help of a buffer you can remove the majority of the surface imperfections from water marks and you'll also remove some of the swirls and oxidation so the entire surface looks like new again. For the glass I would use the Glass Science Glass Scrub, which does a great job of deep cleaning the exterior glass and removing water marks. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0