E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What’s this noise? 335i N54

06-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #1
Stugger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E92 Montego Blue

What’s this noise? 335i N54

Hey guys, so I bought myself an Automatic 2009 335i E92 last week. 43k Miles. The car is modded which I know better than to buy someone’s already built car rather than getting it done myself, but I did it anyway and might be eating shit for it.

The car has:
Jb4 (Set on map 1 running 92 or 93 octane)
Vanguard V2 full catback exhaust
Helix Intercooler
Dual Cone Intake w/ Cowl delete

HPFP and Injectors were supposedly replaced/upgraded at 14,000 miles from recall/warranty.

I read all the horror stories of these 335i’s prior to purchase and it damn near made me puke, but I’ve always wanted this car and went for it anyway after the glowing pre-purchase inspection, but I’ve been on edge ever since just hoping something wouldn’t go out on me at least until I’ve had the car for a couple thousand miles.

So 500-600 miles into ownership, I just got back from a spirited drive to the tire shop, just dropped $600 on some new front tires. I parked my car in my enclosed spot and let it idle for a bit since I did some aggressive driving. I blipped my throttle and noticed what sounds like a “Sucking”/kind of rattley noise on deceleration, it does the same for a moment on startup (Car is hot) reading all these stories on Wastegate rattle and failing turbos, my heart skipped a beat as soon as I heard it. I haven’t noticed this noise before, but this was the first time I blipped my throttle while backed into my enclosed parking spot which amplifies noises, but I can hear it inside the car, so I’m not sure.

So I need some help here, would this noise classify as wastegate rattle? (Video below) I haven’t had the opportunity to hear it cold start yet so I’ll try again in the morning or later tonight. I’m hoping given the fact it has an aftermarket exhaust and the lack of rattle but more emphasis on the breathing sound, it might be nothing or something less bank breaking.

On a side note, as I said I have been on edge and I’ve been having panic attacks for any little stutter/noise or whatever, I’ve been doing a lot of horror story reading as well which is having the same effect as checking WebMD for a symptom and diagnosing yourself with 4 different cancers. However this one actually seems like it might be something, I’m far more concerned about the noise, and any help at all would be much appreciated. Any tips or anything of that sort would be awesome too, I’m still learning this car and I will take any help/feedback/information that I can. These are just a few other things I’ve noticed if you care to look:

Car seems to shift a little hard sometimes, it’s kinda jerky in low gears, but from why I’ve read that might be the norm. It bogs down a little sometimes when I’m molesting the gas pedal at low speeds (I thought this might be due to DTC as the icon will flash, can’t remember if it does it with DTC completely off) I have the rixster vent boost gauge and it typically stays at anywhere from -17 to -22 psi when not in boost. It seems to boost just fine, but this is going from a 323i e46 so a prius would feel like a twin-turbo rocket in comparison.

Car has a bit of a shake when warming up in idle, I’ll start the car and the exhaust will be mad loud for about 30 seconds then it quiets down and has just the slightest shake and stutter to it, almost unnoticeable but I’ve been over examining.

The car runs hot as hell, i can see the heatwaves coming off my hood, (Seibon Vented Carbonfiber hood) from the vents mostly, but the rest of it as well. My oil temps stay 230-240 but I can’t see water temps (Is there a Jb4 setting for that?) I’m worried about the infamous electrical water pump.

Thanks again guys, and sorry for the long post.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
jt335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i Monaco blue

I'm going to add my 2 cents.
See my responses in red. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugger View Post
Hey guys, so I bought myself an Automatic 2009 335i E92 last week. 43k Miles. The car is modded which I know better than to buy someone’s already built car rather than getting it done myself, but I did it anyway and might be eating shit for it.

The car has:
Jb4 (Set on map 1 running 92 or 93 octane)
Vanguard V2 full catback exhaust
Helix Intercooler
Dual Cone Intake w/ Cowl delete

HPFP and Injectors were supposedly replaced/upgraded at 14,000 miles from recall/warranty.

I read all the horror stories of these 335i’s prior to purchase and it damn near made me puke, but I’ve always wanted this car and went for it anyway after the glowing pre-purchase inspection, but I’ve been on edge ever since just hoping something wouldn’t go out on me at least until I’ve had the car for a couple thousand miles.

So 500-600 miles into ownership, I just got back from a spirited drive to the tire shop, just dropped $600 on some new front tires. I parked my car in my enclosed spot and let it idle for a bit since I did some aggressive driving. I blipped my throttle and noticed what sounds like a “Sucking”/kind of rattley noise on deceleration, it does the same for a moment on startup (Car is hot) reading all these stories on Wastegate rattle and failing turbos, my heart skipped a beat as soon as I heard it. I haven’t noticed this noise before, but this was the first time I blipped my throttle while backed into my enclosed parking spot which amplifies noises, but I can hear it inside the car, so I’m not sure.

So I need some help here, would this noise classify as wastegate rattle? (Video below) I haven’t had the opportunity to hear it cold start yet so I’ll try again in the morning or later tonight. I’m hoping given the fact it has an aftermarket exhaust and the lack of rattle but more emphasis on the breathing sound, it might be nothing or something less bank breaking.

From your video, the noise sounds like wastegate rattle, but your video camera needs to be closer to the engine for us to hear it better.
If the noise sounds more like a clanking/rattle as demonstrated in the following video link, then it is wastegate rattle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B30WY9cIPLQ

This video link will help tell you how you can confirm if it is wastegate rattle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ArJdYAHfI

On a side note, as I said I have been on edge and I’ve been having panic attacks for any little stutter/noise or whatever, I’ve been doing a lot of horror story reading as well which is having the same effect as checking WebMD for a symptom and diagnosing yourself with 4 different cancers. However this one actually seems like it might be something, I’m far more concerned about the noise, and any help at all would be much appreciated. Any tips or anything of that sort would be awesome too, I’m still learning this car and I will take any help/feedback/information that I can. These are just a few other things I’ve noticed if you care to look:

Car seems to shift a little hard sometimes, it’s kinda jerky in low gears, but from why I’ve read that might be the norm. It bogs down a little sometimes when I’m molesting the gas pedal at low speeds (I thought this might be due to DTC as the icon will flash, can’t remember if it does it with DTC completely off) I have the rixster vent boost gauge and it typically stays at anywhere from -17 to -22 psi when not in boost. It seems to boost just fine, but this is going from a 323i e46 so a prius would feel like a twin-turbo rocket in comparison.

Hard shifts could be related to the transmission solenoids going bad or the transmission fluid level (low due to possible leak), but you’d have to check it yourself if you’re an experienced DIYer or by a specialized BMW mechanic who knows how to properly service a 335 (do not bring it to a general auto service center).

Car has a bit of a shake when warming up in idle, I’ll start the car and the exhaust will be mad loud for about 30 seconds then it quiets down and has just the slightest shake and stutter to it, almost unnoticeable but I’ve been over examining.

Yes. You’re over examining. My ride has a tiny bit of shake when first starting up cold in the mornings and then smooths out.

Now if your ride seems to be sputtering or hesitating when driving around, then you could have cylinder misfiring and need to change the plugs and coils. Misfires are the most common failures when it comes to pushing your car to the limit your current mods. If that is not happening with your car, then there’s nothing to worry about.

The car runs hot as hell, i can see the heatwaves coming off my hood, (Seibon Vented Carbonfiber hood) from the vents mostly, but the rest of it as well. My oil temps stay 230-240 but I can’t see water temps (Is there a Jb4 setting for that?) I’m worried about the infamous electrical water pump.

That is perfectly normal. Because your engine has TTs, it will run at a higher temperature so 230-250 is the typical oil temperature range. It may vary within that range depending on the outside temperature and driving conditions (i.e. heavy stop and go traffic and long idling). There is a way to check the coolant temperature, but you’d have to search the forum or Google on how to do it.
Now if your water pump decides to crap out, you will know one day while driving when you get the yellow warning light and the car goes into limp mode then soon followed by the red warning light and a message (if you have iDrive) telling you to pull over immediately. If you don't know when the cooling system was last flushed, if ever, I would do it as preventive maintenance just in case. Even though it has only 43K miles, the car is almost 10 years old and who knows if the prior owner had the coolant changed.

Thanks again guys, and sorry for the long post.
Good luck to you.
1983 Mercedes Benz 380SL Roadster

Last edited by jt335i; 06-21-2018 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0