E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Introducing OpenFlash Tablet

07-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #67
MRVBC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Awesome!! I'm in!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #68
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

Interested in seeing if this can be used to load back end fueling flashes like the BMS/Procede flash...
      07-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #69
Dark9T
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Red 335i E92 AT

it switch maps like the procede or cobb?
      07-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #70
Lunatic Fringe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ah the floodgates have opened and the nonsense begins. This flashing device is an evolution of the opensource cables found on other platforms. I for one am happy I won't have to lug my laptop around with me.

As it has been stated clearly in the FAQ, you can use whatever tuning software you wish to upload the files through the code that is written onto Open Source tablet .

Rombinhood has been good enough to create a software interface that works similarly to ATR as well as OTS maps to get started.

You have all the functionality of a Cobb AP at 50% of the price. What's more is that it's30% less than the other tuning device that uses the same hardware but only allows flashing OTS maps that can't be modified.

Still... the whining continues. Here you have a device that's executed amazingly, and it's so reasonably priced.

If some of you want something for nothing, please go ahead and create it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #71
3000GT MR
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i/3000gt vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
i'm just disappointed it didn't turn out to be closed source, after realizing there was a profit to be made, greed set in?

if it turned out like it should have, it would have been a way to download and decrypt the DME tuning file, tune it, then upload it back in, without any of the hassle and anyone could do it straight from a laptop with the right cable. no shitty device.

you know, like every other open source tuning solution for other platforms, as well as the idea of 'open source' in general.

but no, greed set in.
Sounds like you need to do it yourself then. No one else has been able to give us any type of open-source before Robinhood and team. So it must be really easy to do, so easy they should just give it away for free right? 100X's the flexibility at half the price of anything else . You guys are ridiculous in these comments, would you rather have nothing? If i was Robinhood i would think twice before doing anything for this community with the way some of you guys act. All you do is want want want and don't want to pay for a single thing of someone's hard efforts. I bet if it was donations only you inconsiderates wouldn't donate a penny. Deal with it. If it wasn't what you were expecting, adapt and support the community to help it grow and not turn people away from development of the platform
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #72
cupertinosteve
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic Fringe View Post
Ah the floodgates have opened and the nonsense begins. This flashing device is an evolution of the opensource cables found on other platforms. I for one am happy I won't have to lug my laptop around with me.

As it has been stated clearly in the FAQ, you can use whatever tuning software you wish to upload the files through the code that is written onto Open Source tablet .

Rombinhood has been good enough to create a software interface that works similarly to ATR as well as OTS maps to get started.

You have all the functionality of a Cobb AP at 50% of the price. What's more is that it's30% less than the other tuning device that uses the same hardware but only allows flashing OTS maps that can't be modified.

Still... the whining continues. Here you have a device that's executed amazingly, and it's so reasonably priced.

If some of you want something for nothing, please go ahead and create it yourself.
+1

I think there is a deep misunderstanding of what open-source means.

Linux = open source operating system, take the code make your own.

The servers your run it on are not free.

If you need software support for your OS, its not free ... go pay Redhat or Oracle or someone else.

What is free here is the information and access to it. Here are the tables we know, they are not hidden, the ability to modify is not prohibited ... people can share the information. New discoveries can be incorporated.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #73
Lunatic Fringe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3000GT MR View Post
Sounds like you need to do it yourself then. No one else has been able to give us any type of open-source before Robinhood and team. So it must be really easy to do, so easy they should just give it away for free right? 100X's the flexibility at half the price of anything else . You guys are ridiculous in these comments, would you rather have nothing? If i was Robinhood i would think twice before doing anything for this community with the way some of you guys act. All you do is want want want and don't want to pay for a single thing of someone's hard efforts. I bet if it was donations only you inconsiderates wouldn't donate a penny. Deal with it. If it wasn't what you were expecting, adapt and support the community to help it grow and not turn people away from development of the platform
+1. Thank you. There is at least one self professed computer programmer leading the charge of naysayers. Perhaps if he spent less time on the Internet and more time doing something productive, he'd have exactly what he wanted lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #74
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

The haters are hilarious, they don't know what to think.
Here's a tip, quit focusing on what it isn't, and pay attention to the new functionality.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #75
riki18
Private
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Bmw E92 335i

Garage List
Would be possible to change launch control's RPM?
EU E92 335i DCT, JB4, COBB, PFT DP, BMW Performance exhaust, Vargas stg. 2 turbos, Wagner IC, K&N, Birds suspension (New B16 ride control for sale), M3 sway bars, Quaife, walbro E85 LPFP, E85 with 100 pump gas,
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 03:12 AM   #76
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Don't feed the trolls guys. Most of them don't read the info posted and never will. Better to just let them complain about nonsense while the rest of us actually do something productive. We'll start some good dialogue on Monday on the subject of table finding and trouble code toggles. Have a great long weekend
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #77
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Seems like a good alternative to Cobb, can anyone make changes to the tables or only tuners?
Anyone can make changes to the tables. The whole ROM file is available for editing.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #78
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i View Post
Even though this isnt what I had in mind, a cable $100 and free software, it is a great tool. I just wish the price was in the 200-300 range.

Will I buy the product? Yes, but I'll hold off for now. If the price was less, I would probably buy it without a second thought.

$400 is pretty close to what JZW sells their product for and most used Cobb AP sell for $600.
The JZW product isn't user tunable. It can only use preconfigured map files provided by the dealer. It doesn't have data viewing, data logging, adaptation resets, etc,. It is a transport device for a tune. That is all. So it's not entirely fair to compare it to the OpenFlash tablet. The Cobb AP is more comparable in terms of tuning functionality. But it doesn't have a big enough screen to do any useful data displays. Nor does it give you access to as many tables or the ability to develop the definition file as you (and the community) grows.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 03:31 AM   #79
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Where is the Open Source in this ? Thank you Vishnu for your involvement in ruining a great opportunity for the N54 world.

Instead of the possibility for using iOS or Android smartphones and tablets to develop more and more advanced software for logging / tuning / diagnosis at a very fast pace, we are stuck with yet another ancient hardware crap.

Now let's wait for the first ECU bricks...

Last edited by cstavaru; 07-04-2013 at 03:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #80
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic Fringe View Post
I for one am happy I won't have to lug my laptop around with me.
How about your phone ?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 03:51 AM   #81
Lunatic Fringe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
How about your phone ?
Sounds like an excellent project for you to go work on. I want the software to be 100% free though. You better not charge me a cent or I'll throw a big hissy fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 04:41 AM   #82
Promotor Fidei
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I think the big issue is that in the beginning they talked about open source programs "Porting over my little DME read/writing program does seem to be the next natural step". I would love to see the sourcecode to that little DME read/writing program and see what other programmers could do with it. Personally I would prefer to use a $99 7" android device to flash my DME and view logs and graphs instead of some $395 device that looks like a GPS from the last century.

I also have concerns how they achieved the knowledge about the tables in the ROM "I have [cough] hacked [cough] a few flash tunes and found what has been changed" and "It would be very useful to spend a few hours with the Cobb pro tuning suite for no other reason than learning the names of the tables". To me it sounds like they used the work of other firms to create a commercial product and sell it at half the price. This leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

With that said, it seems to be a nice product but I and many others had so much hope in it becoming so much more.

One question I have is if you for example dump the file from a car flashed with GIAC, COBB (including protunes), or Alpina and "pirate" their maps?

Last edited by Promotor Fidei; 07-04-2013 at 06:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #83
Lunatic Fringe
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
Interested in seeing if this can be used to load back end fueling flashes like the BMS/Procede flash...
Yes, of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #84
jayzF30
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 335i, '09 M3

so excited to see this thread coming from the Subaru world only to be disappointed with the device, closed source and a 400 price tag. How did direction change so much? I hoped this would be open source, allow us as developers to take this further and be used with a 150 cable.

Disappointed to say the least. Hopefully a true open "source" version will be released without this truly ugly and old looking device in the future which I thought and hoped was the original plan.
      07-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #85
Xzach92X
New kid on the block
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i coupe

Garage List
2009 335i  [10.00]
2009 E92 335i  [0.00]
Take my money!!!!
      07-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #86
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

This is very cool. I am 100% satisfied with Cobb and my PTF maps. If this does in fact prove to be a more powerful tool than the AP and not just a fancy piece of hardware I am interested to see if I will jump ship.

With that said, this is going to force the competition to step their games up if the numbers are substantially better than what is currently on the market. It's a win for everyone in my book.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #87
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

From "open source" to "open flash tablet".....

WTF happened here??? Looks as though the usual suspect got involved and ruined what could have been a real open source opportunity for the N54. :bs:
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #88
madbim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E90 335xi

Nice work robinhood and team! I'm very impressed with how fast you were able to get a product to frutitation. I will be watching for updates to see how this progresses. Like someothers, I would have preferred to use my own hardware and pay for your software but I completely understand.
Appreciate 0