Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Why are many not running OEM recommended tire pressure?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-16-2023, 11:09 AM   #1
Dillyyo
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E93 N55 LCI

Why are many not running OEM recommended tire pressure?

After a day of scouring the web for appropriate tire pressures I have come to the conclusion that many, if not most, are not running what BMW recommends. My manual for 2011 E93 335i has the following for my sport package 19" wheels:

under 100mph
F - 39
R - 46

over 100mph
F - 42
R - 49

I have not seen one post with anyone running this high pressure. Most think it's just too high even though max side wall PSI only indicates what is needed for max capacity load of the car. Burst pressure is far higher. Yet, I see TONS of posts about pinch flats, especially on 19's. I'm not saying this will resolve flats in bad road areas, but just trying to understand why no one is following the recommended PSI. This is not applicable to tracking he car so no need for that response.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 12:21 PM   #2
E93Beast
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillyyo View Post
After a day of scouring the web for appropriate tire pressures I have come to the conclusion that many, if not most, are not running what BMW recommends. My manual for 2011 E93 335i has the following for my sport package 19" wheels:

under 100mph
F - 39
R - 46

over 100mph
F - 42
R - 49

I have not seen one post with anyone running this high pressure. Most think it's just too high even though max side wall PSI only indicates what is needed for max capacity load of the car. Burst pressure is far higher. Yet, I see TONS of posts about pinch flats, especially on 19's. I'm not saying this will resolve flats in bad road areas, but just trying to understand why no one is following the recommended PSI. This is not applicable to tracking he car so no need for that response.

Possibly because BMW recommends tire pressure based on the tires equipped from factory. Most are running different tires than factory equipped and follow guidelines per tire manufacturer vs BMW.

Maybe ?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 12:44 PM   #3
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Quote:

under 100mph
F - 39
R - 46

over 100mph
F - 42
R - 49

I check my pressures just about weekly. From the data panels inside the driver's doors of a couple of my cars:

2011 e90 335i m-sport: F 35, R 42
2012 e92 335is: F 33, R 41
2009 e91 328i with sport: F 33, R 36
2001 e37 M Roadster: F 35, R 38

First three have 18" wheels. Z3M has 17". A ways off what you are showing.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 03:12 PM   #4
E93Beast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post
I check my pressures just about weekly. From the data panels inside the driver's doors of a couple of my cars:

It does seem a little high what o.p. posted, but also he is on 19s (shorter sidewall), and 500lb+ heavier car.
I run 42 up front and 38 in rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 04:58 PM   #5
Dillyyo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Beast View Post
Possibly because BMW recommends tire pressure based on the tires equipped from factory. Most are running different tires than factory equipped and follow guidelines per tire manufacturer vs BMW.

Maybe ?
Most tire manufacturers I've ever used in my life ALWAYS defer to the vehicle manufacturer since it's based on application, not on the tire manufacturer. Vehicle suspension geometry, type, weight, etc., are all vehicle dependent so I find that a weak argument. Especially when historically BMW enthusiasts tend to be more an "OEM is gospel" crowd than many other manufacturer brands.

Just seems this one aspect is where most don't follow BMWs guidance even though we know tire type doesn't really justify deviation from the car manufacturers guidance.

Last edited by Dillyyo; 01-16-2023 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 05:02 PM   #6
Dillyyo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post

It's in the owners manual broken down by engine and vehicle type. Funny but most of the stipulated numbers have at least the rears in the low to mid 40's for 18 and 19in.

One has to wonder if there is a significant correlation between so many pinch flats on so many of the posts I've seen and running pressure lower than what BMW recommends.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 05:52 PM   #7
E93Beast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Most tire manufacturers I've ever used in my life ALWAYS defer to the vehicle manufacturer since it's based on application, not on the tire manufacturer. Vehicle suspension geometry, type, weight, etc., are all vehicle dependent so I find that a weak argument. Especially when historically BMW enthusiasts tend to be more an "OEM is gospel" crowd than many other manufacturer brands.

Just seems this one aspect is where most don't follow BMWs guidance even though we know tire type doesn't really justify deviation from the car manufacturers guidance.
Tire type doesnt justify deviation ?? Weak argument ??Seems like that is what YOU want to do. Maybe you should start a thread of "What psi do you
run and why?"

I run a max of 38 psi in the rear per recommendations from Toyo (NOT BMW)themselves. TOYO did not care what car it was on, Nor did they did say defer to your owners manual.

It is over 600whp on a E93. It is what keeps MY car PLANTED. Any other tire I tried from Pirelli, Vredstein, Federal, etc would not feel safe unless I baby the car or run a lower map.

I could be wrong, but if BMW ever sold a car with Toyo R888r from factory they would NOT recommend close to 50psi.

Obviously they would not even consider putting these tires on any of their cars because they are not meant for the rain, tread life, daily driving etc. for average consumer. Once again, if they did, I am sure they would recommend different tire pressures.
But hey, good luck to you.
Edit:
I do not know where you are from, but if you are, or ever are in the L.A. area, hit me up.
I can give you a ride in my car with the way I have my car setup. We can hit some streets, freeway and some short twisties on a off ramp near by. 20min drive tops.
Then we can throw the factory tires on, set BMW specs for tire pressure and go again. Then you can tell me what feels safer LMAO. Then you will understand deviating from BMW recommendations, type of tire, etc

Last edited by E93Beast; 01-16-2023 at 06:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 08:42 AM   #8
Dillyyo
Rep

Quote:
Tire type doesnt justify deviation ?? Weak argument ??Seems like that is what YOU want to do. Maybe you should start a thread of "What psi do you
run and why?"

I run a max of 38 psi in the rear per recommendations from Toyo (NOT BMW)themselves. TOYO did not care what car it was on, Nor did they did say defer to your owners manual.

It is over 600whp on a E93. It is what keeps MY car PLANTED. Any other tire I tried from Pirelli, Vredstein, Federal, etc would not feel safe unless I baby the car or run a lower map.

I could be wrong, but if BMW ever sold a car with Toyo R888r from factory they would NOT recommend close to 50psi.

Obviously they would not even consider putting these tires on any of their cars because they are not meant for the rain, tread life, daily driving etc. for average consumer. Once again, if they did, I am sure they would recommend different tire pressures.
But hey, good luck to you.
Edit:
I do not know where you are from, but if you are, or ever are in the L.A. area, hit me up.
I can give you a ride in my car with the way I have my car setup. We can hit some streets, freeway and some short twisties on a off ramp near by. 20min drive tops.
Then we can throw the factory tires on, set BMW specs for tire pressure and go again. Then you can tell me what feels safer LMAO. Then you will understand deviating from BMW recommendations, type of tire, etc
This response was totally outside of the scope of intended post purpose, but you do you. No one is talking about any one specific application setup or what handles better on any given medium like. This completely had to do with not running OEM specs with tire pressure in normal average driving of the vehicle and so many complaints about tire failures.

Thanks for the invite but ive modded and built out cars for 20+ years as a shade tree mechanic and enthusiast. I'm well aware of what we do for "street performance" and track. I'm also aware that I rely on objective evidence and not my butt dyno for most car setups. Maybe next you can tell me how you can only feel planted driving on LA highways with your MTs on and how low you run them to feel planted.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #9
E93Beast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
This response was totally outside of the scope of intended post purpose, but you do you. No one is talking about any one specific application setup or what handles better on any given medium like. This completely had to do with not running OEM specs with tire pressure in normal average driving of the vehicle and so many complaints about tire failures.

Thanks for the invite but ive modded and built out cars for 20+ years as a shade tree mechanic and enthusiast. I'm well aware of what we do for "street performance" and track. I'm also aware that I rely on objective evidence and not my butt dyno for most car setups. Maybe next you can tell me how you can only feel planted driving on LA highways with your MTs on and how low you run them to feel planted.

As I said, a better thread for you is "what psi do you run and why?" For the answers you seek.
Objective evidence, lmao...a car fishtailing at 60 mph on a STRAIGHT because you floor it vs hookn and leaving is far from a butt dyno...on a true LSD.
Offer still stands if you are ever in the area and we wil see if it is"objective evidence" or butt dyno 🙄
Fuckn kids in here LOL😂
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 12:55 PM   #10
E93Beast
Banned
Rep

You did not like my first response, which I think is why some would do it (as I also do it per tire manufacturer and mods I have done to my car), yet you did not like the answer. This made me explain further and it seems to have upset you.
Maybe post an answer to yourself to make yourself happy.
I run UNDER what BMW recommends on R compound tires (much softer rubber than MOST tires people run) and have had no issues with flats. So I will see myself out and enjoy your party ✌��
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 12:01 AM   #11
Dillyyo
Rep

Quote:
You did not like my first response, which I think is why some would do it (as I also do it per tire manufacturer and mods I have done to my car), yet you did not like the answer. This made me explain further and it seems to have upset you.
Maybe post an answer to yourself to make yourself happy.
I run UNDER what BMW recommends on R compound tires (much softer rubber than MOST tires people run) and have had no issues with flats. So I will see myself out and enjoy your party ✌��
Life is far to complex to get upset over such trivial things. My suggestion for you is reading comprehension rather than trying to act like you are the beholder of some holy grail and trying to deviate from the intent of a post. Until then enjoy yourself.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 06:42 PM   #12
39Xallday
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

If you're running lower pressures the key is just keep an eye out for scuffing on the sidewall if you see that your tires are probably rolling over under cornering and you want to increase pressures to avoid issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2023, 11:42 PM   #13
fleetfoot
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2013 E92 328i

My 2013 e92 328i msport calls for 32/39 front/rear cold. My 2017 m2 with comparable weight and tire widths calls for 35/35. From track usage, I can say anything over 38 hot leads to less grip. I run 34/36 cold on my 328i and that seems perfect for grip and tire wear.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 01:21 PM   #14
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I've mostly always ran 39/46
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0