E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > HELP, Please. Stupid Mistake.

03-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #1
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

HELP, Please. Stupid Mistake.

So I'll skip the man BS of the day just to get to the point here.

So for BS reasons mentioned, I had to put the factory rear struts back into my car... Now like a dumbass I torqued it to the specs for my aftermarket struts causing the 6mm head to snap off right above the threads

Now as you may know, you need to need to hold the rubber bushing/nut with a wrench to tighten the strut. So now I cannot tight the bushing down without the strut just spinning in place. I had my buddy grab it with some 'locks but it just spun.

Does anybody have any bright ideas to keep the strut from spinning while loosening the bushing, so I can at least remove the now broken strut?

Thank you so much for your help!
      03-21-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

If understand correctly this is the top or rear strut you are talking about....if you snapped off the 6mm head,just put a notch with a dremel and then use a screwdriver to stop it from spinning,the rear torque spec is real low....I think 25ft-lb somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
You really only need to lightly snug these as they snap uber easy......ask me how I know lol
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #3
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
If understand correctly this is the top or rear strut you are talking about....if you snapped off the 6mm head,just put a notch with a dremel and then use a screwdriver to stop it from spinning,the rear torque spec is real low....I think 25ft-lb somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
You really only need to lightly snug these as they snap uber easy......ask me how I know lol
Dude, you are effing genius!!!

And I was at 20lbs when it snapped???
      03-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanize
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
Dude, you are effing genius!!!

And I was at 20lbs when it snapped???
Yep sure beats getting a whole new shock....
Appreciate 0