E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Sound from engine.. Tensioner Pulley?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-15-2018, 07:52 PM   #23
Pladi
Lieutenant
Pladi's Avatar
Canada
113
Rep
502
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada

iTrader: (0)

what oil do you use ?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 09:19 PM   #24
DriveBikeRun
New Member
DriveBikeRun's Avatar
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i E90 M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Louisville, KY

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the update, jjaap. So this latest video is after the belt and pulleys were replaced?

I'm hearing three different noises in your video, two of which don't seem normal to me:
1) marble in a jar sound from beginning of video, not perfectly rhythmic
2) kind of swishy maracas-like sound near the 1 minute mark right as the idle settles down after cold start
3) rhythmic ticking, right after the maracas sound starts

#1 is the exact sound that I'm having and hope the pulley kit will solve. Contitech kit arrived yesterday and will be installing soon. No idea on #2, maybe belt, but not if video was post-replacement, doesn't seem normal to me either. #3 I would call normal valve train noise, but could possibly be lessened with fresh oil; ditto on question re: what oil are you using?
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport, PPK, Helix stepped FMIC, xHP stage 3, Wagner catted DP, MHD stage 2
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #25
illusiveM3
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 335i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Longview, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
what oil do you use ?
I always order the Genuine BMW Oil change kit - SAE 5W-30 from ECS Tuning and perform the oil change myself.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #26
illusiveM3
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 335i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Longview, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveBikeRun View Post
Thanks for the update, jjaap. So this latest video is after the belt and pulleys were replaced?

I'm hearing three different noises in your video, two of which don't seem normal to me:
1) marble in a jar sound from beginning of video, not perfectly rhythmic
2) kind of swishy maracas-like sound near the 1 minute mark right as the idle settles down after cold start
3) rhythmic ticking, right after the maracas sound starts

#1 is the exact sound that I'm having and hope the pulley kit will solve. Contitech kit arrived yesterday and will be installing soon. No idea on #2, maybe belt, but not if video was post-replacement, doesn't seem normal to me either. #3 I would call normal valve train noise, but could possibly be lessened with fresh oil; ditto on question re: what oil are you using?
#1 is the sound (ticking) I first observed when I noticed the issue. This just literally started on our first cold freeze of the winter here in Texas. I did not hear this sound at all during the warm months. This was the original cause of my post.

#2 is the second sound (right at 1:00 - correct) that sounds like maracas that just started two weeks ago.

Both the ticking and maracas sound (lol) stay until the car is warmed up and then I don't hear it again really until the next full cold start. My indy mechanic couldn't identify and I'm hearing others with similar issues. I'm not noticing any driving issues, so I guess we just call it normal at this point?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #27
illusiveM3
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 335i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Longview, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Forgot to mention. Both sounds are still evident after the belt/pulley replacement.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #28
DriveBikeRun
New Member
DriveBikeRun's Avatar
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i E90 M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Louisville, KY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaap View Post
#1 is the sound (ticking) I first observed when I noticed the issue. This just literally started on our first cold freeze of the winter here in Texas. I did not hear this sound at all during the warm months. This was the original cause of my post.

#2 is the second sound (right at 1:00 - correct) that sounds like maracas that just started two weeks ago.

Both the ticking and maracas sound (lol) stay until the car is warmed up and then I don't hear it again really until the next full cold start. My indy mechanic couldn't identify and I'm hearing others with similar issues. I'm not noticing any driving issues, so I guess we just call it normal at this point?
I'm not ready to call it normal yet Anything involving the potential for the belt to slip off and get sucked into the crankshaft seal is worth continued efforts IMO.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at mine more closely this weekend now that I have the belt and pulley kit in hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #29
Pladi
Lieutenant
Pladi's Avatar
Canada
113
Rep
502
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveBikeRun View Post
I'm not ready to call it normal yet Anything involving the potential for the belt to slip off and get sucked into the crankshaft seal is worth continued efforts IMO.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at mine more closely this weekend now that I have the belt and pulley kit in hand.
My car has made those sounds from day one. The second sound you just didn't notice before. Its probably always been there.

It would be interesting to know what you will find but i am not going to investigate these mysterious sounds unless i know its causing me performnce issues.. belt was replaced and you still hear the sound. OBV nothing to do with the belt. I hear the sound closer to the top of the engine and i think its internal. the first sound that is. Actually i know it is because if you remove the oil cap you can hear it more.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 03:26 PM   #30
DriveBikeRun
New Member
DriveBikeRun's Avatar
5
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i E90 M Sport
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Louisville, KY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveBikeRun View Post
I'm not ready to call it normal yet Anything involving the potential for the belt to slip off and get sucked into the crankshaft seal is worth continued efforts IMO.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to look at mine more closely this weekend now that I have the belt and pulley kit in hand.
My car has made those sounds from day one. The second sound you just didn't notice before. Its probably always been there.

It would be interesting to know what you will find but i am not going to investigate these mysterious sounds unless i know its causing me performnce issues.. belt was replaced and you still hear the sound. OBV nothing to do with the belt. I hear the sound closer to the top of the engine and i think its internal. the first sound that is. Actually i know it is because if you remove the oil cap you can hear it more.
I got around to looking at mine closer today. I'm still having the same sound as the first sound in OP's last video. I put a stethoscope on all 4 pulleys that would be replaced by the ContiTech kit, but they sounded fine, so I didn't replace any of them as car only has 22k miles.

Then I removed the oil filler cap just enough to break the suction, and guess what, the noise got louder, just like pladi's. I don't think that removing the cap actually made it worse, but just made it easier to hear inside the engine. As to what is the cause, I still have no idea...yet!
__________________
2011 E90 335i M-Sport, PPK, Helix stepped FMIC, xHP stage 3, Wagner catted DP, MHD stage 2
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 02:31 AM   #31
northbranchroad
Private
United_States
2
Rep
50
Posts

Drives: 2011 Bmw 335i xdrive sedan
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Denver Colorado

iTrader: (0)

We will never find out
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #32
Pladi
Lieutenant
Pladi's Avatar
Canada
113
Rep
502
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveBikeRun View Post
I got around to looking at mine closer today. I'm still having the same sound as the first sound in OP's last video. I put a stethoscope on all 4 pulleys that would be replaced by the ContiTech kit, but they sounded fine, so I didn't replace any of them as car only has 22k miles.

Then I removed the oil filler cap just enough to break the suction, and guess what, the noise got louder, just like pladi's. I don't think that removing the cap actually made it worse, but just made it easier to hear inside the engine. As to what is the cause, I still have no idea...yet!
Thats exactly what i keep telling you guys. The noise is from inside the engine.

And if i can pinpoint its a vanos selenoid of some type of noise due to the cold temp and looser tolerances. Once the engine is up to temp the tolerances are tighter hence no noise. All of this is a guess but i dont know what else it could be..

Lighter oil might make this noise less. But i dont think the noise is an actual problem. Unless someone can say for sure and exactly why.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 09:37 PM   #33
katatonia
Private First Class
katatonia's Avatar
Canada
23
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335xi 6mt
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Victoria BC

iTrader: (0)

My car makes a ticking sound when cold at idle too for the past 30000km. Started when I got an oil filter gasket leak. Replaced belt and all pulleys but didn't fix it. I listened around with a stethoscope and couldn't really pinpoint it. Sound doesn't change when oil cap is removed. My limited knowledge guess would be injector?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #34
illusiveM3
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 335i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Longview, Texas

iTrader: (0)

I'm wondering if this issue is similar to this recent post.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420520

Seems as if it could possibly be the vibration dampener (aka harmonic balancer?) going out. I seem to hear the similar "ticking" sound in their video. Their screeching/squealing sound is a little more apparent and loud, more similar to a squeaking belt" than mine was. However, I wonder if they are similar problems. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #35
illusiveM3
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
33
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 335i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Longview, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Answer to OP Question from the other post I just linked was:

Update: Just got a call from the indy shop. They said they found that the vibration damper/harmonic balancer was the culprit because it was starting to separate, or something like that. Glad we were able to catch it!

I'm getting the exact same noise in the video that the OP posted and it only happens when starting the car after it's been sitting all night. Once the car warms up, the noise is gone. Weirdly, even if the car has been sitting out all day while I'm at work, the noise doesn't come up again. It's only after the car has been sitting all night. We're still seeing temps dip in to the 20s easily overnight whereas temps during the day are in the 30s, if that matters.

Edit, some extra info if anyone's interested: I looked up the part online and found it on ECS Tuning's website and it says, "If you vibration damper is failing, it will usually present itself in the form of a squealing noise that sounds like a slipping belt. This is an indication that the rubber ring inside of the vibration damper has dried out and cracked, causing the pulley to slip."





Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaap View Post
I'm wondering if this issue is similar to this recent post.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1420520

Seems as if it could possibly be the vibration dampener (aka harmonic balancer?) going out. I seem to hear the similar "ticking" sound in their video. Their screeching/squealing sound is a little more apparent and loud, more similar to a squeaking belt" than mine was. However, I wonder if they are similar problems. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #36
Pladi
Lieutenant
Pladi's Avatar
Canada
113
Rep
502
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaap View Post
Answer to OP Question from the other post I just linked was:

Update: Just got a call from the indy shop. They said they found that the vibration damper/harmonic balancer was the culprit because it was starting to separate, or something like that. Glad we were able to catch it!

I'm getting the exact same noise in the video that the OP posted and it only happens when starting the car after it's been sitting all night. Once the car warms up, the noise is gone. Weirdly, even if the car has been sitting out all day while I'm at work, the noise doesn't come up again. It's only after the car has been sitting all night. We're still seeing temps dip in to the 20s easily overnight whereas temps during the day are in the 30s, if that matters.

Edit, some extra info if anyone's interested: I looked up the part online and found it on ECS Tuning's website and it says, "If you vibration damper is failing, it will usually present itself in the form of a squealing noise that sounds like a slipping belt. This is an indication that the rubber ring inside of the vibration damper has dried out and cracked, causing the pulley to slip."


So now i am super confused. Did you fix the ticking noise with the changing the vibration dampener ? Or did you fix some sort of squeak ? In the original video i only hear ticking..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 10:28 PM   #37
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
norsairius's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
So I posted in the other thread that the indy shop was able to identify my issue as being the vibration damper/harmonic balancer.

My main issue is the squeaky noise that's evident in the video that the OP posted in the other thread, which is what should be fixed by replacing the damper/balancer.

I do have a similar rattling/ticking to what's being discussed in this thread, but it seems normal and I've heard it for as long as I can remember in my car. The indy also didn't seem to have any concerns about it, though I admittedly didn't specifically ask about it either. However, they were listening to the car carefully since I brought up the squeaking so I assume they would've heard any odd rattles when listening for the squeaking too.
__________________
2011 335i xDrive Sedan, Deep Sea Blue w/Oyster Interior
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #38
Pladi
Lieutenant
Pladi's Avatar
Canada
113
Rep
502
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
So I posted in the other thread that the indy shop was able to identify my issue as being the vibration damper/harmonic balancer.

My main issue is the squeaky noise that's evident in the video that the OP posted in the other thread, which is what should be fixed by replacing the damper/balancer.

I do have a similar rattling/ticking to what's being discussed in this thread, but it seems normal and I've heard it for as long as I can remember in my car. The indy also didn't seem to have any concerns about it, though I admittedly didn't specifically ask about it either. However, they were listening to the car carefully since I brought up the squeaking so I assume they would've heard any odd rattles when listening for the squeaking too.
Understood. Thanks for the clarification. I see you have exact same car as me i have that color too.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #39
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
norsairius's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Understood. Thanks for the clarification. I see you have exact same car as me i have that color too.
It is a nice color! The Deep Sea Blue looks awesome with how the color changes depending on the lighting. The name is very appropriate.

Otherwise, it turns out the parts for the job won't arrive in time for the indy shop to take care of my car today, but I should have it back tomorrow. I'll try to pop the hood and listen to the engine as I start it up and as it idles after it's been sitting overnight and I'll report back on if any of the rattles/ticking sound different.
__________________
2011 335i xDrive Sedan, Deep Sea Blue w/Oyster Interior
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #40
Pladi
Lieutenant
Pladi's Avatar
Canada
113
Rep
502
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
It is a nice color! The Deep Sea Blue looks awesome with how the color changes depending on the lighting. The name is very appropriate.

Otherwise, it turns out the parts for the job won't arrive in time for the indy shop to take care of my car today, but I should have it back tomorrow. I'll try to pop the hood and listen to the engine as I start it up and as it idles after it's been sitting overnight and I'll report back on if any of the rattles/ticking sound different.
Yes i agree. I was never a fan of blue for cars but its a nice blue and goes well with the chrome trim.

Thanks for keeping us on the loop.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #41
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
norsairius's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Vibration damper/pulley has been replaced and the squeaking/squealing is gone. The "after" video I took pick up what sounds like some squeaking, but I don't hear it in person so I'm assuming its because of how the mic on my phone picked up the sound and how it was processed, etc. I'll be keeping an ear out though for any more squeaks/squeals.

The shop said the pulleys and the belts all looked fine and they didn't raise any concerns about any of the other noises, so I'm not too concerned at this point. They did say though that my oil pan is just starting to seep the tiniest bit, so that's just GREAT. However, they said it's nothing to be concerned about yet. That and apparently my car's "p/s rear axle seal" likely needs to be replaced soon (I take p/s to mean passenger side).

Otherwise, the sounds that are being made other than the squeaking/squealing didn't seem to change much. The idle maybe sounds a bit "cleaner" in the after video, but that's about it.

Before vid:

After vid:

Yes, I know recording video in portrait orientation is bad. These videos though are more for listening than watching. :P
__________________
2011 335i xDrive Sedan, Deep Sea Blue w/Oyster Interior
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #42
Pladi
Lieutenant
Pladi's Avatar
Canada
113
Rep
502
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
Vibration damper/pulley has been replaced and the squeaking/squealing is gone. The "after" video I took pick up what sounds like some squeaking, but I don't hear it in person so I'm assuming its because of how the mic on my phone picked up the sound and how it was processed, etc. I'll be keeping an ear out though for any more squeaks/squeals.

The shop said the pulleys and the belts all looked fine and they didn't raise any concerns about any of the other noises, so I'm not too concerned at this point. They did say though that my oil pan is just starting to seep the tiniest bit, so that's just GREAT. However, they said it's nothing to be concerned about yet. That and apparently my car's "p/s rear axle seal" likely needs to be replaced soon (I take p/s to mean passenger side).

Otherwise, the sounds that are being made other than the squeaking/squealing didn't seem to change much. The idle maybe sounds a bit "cleaner" in the after video, but that's about it.

Before vid:

After vid:

Yes, I know recording video in portrait orientation is bad. These videos though are more for listening than watching. :P

Have you checked the axle seals yourself ? To see what they are talking about. ?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #43
norsairius
Foodie and Gearhead
norsairius's Avatar
United_States
88
Rep
734
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Have you checked the axle seals yourself ? To see what they are talking about. ?
I have not checked the axle seals myself, but I did call the indy about that today. They said the seal is barely seeping and should not be a concern. They went so far as to say that they'll just take a look at it over the next couple oil changes. Considering the mileage that the car would be driven over a couple oil changes, it sounds like it's something that isn't worth being concerned about. They did however say that I could bring it in sooner if I'm particularly worried.

This shop hasn't given me any reason to distrust them (quite the opposite, actually, very nice to work with so far), so I'm not too concerned right now. I may consider bringing the car in for a check on the seal in question in 2-3k miles though.
__________________
2011 335i xDrive Sedan, Deep Sea Blue w/Oyster Interior
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #44
Pladi
Lieutenant
Pladi's Avatar
Canada
113
Rep
502
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xdrive
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Waterloo, ON Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
I have not checked the axle seals myself, but I did call the indy about that today. They said the seal is barely seeping and should not be a concern. They went so far as to say that they'll just take a look at it over the next couple oil changes. Considering the mileage that the car would be driven over a couple oil changes, it sounds like it's something that isn't worth being concerned about. They did however say that I could bring it in sooner if I'm particularly worried.

This shop hasn't given me any reason to distrust them (quite the opposite, actually, very nice to work with so far), so I'm not too concerned right now. I may consider bringing the car in for a check on the seal in question in 2-3k miles though.
good stuff. its good when you find a shop that you can trust.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:32 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST