E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Flasher for N54 - general discussion

07-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #11485
threetirtyfive
Skilled DIY mech, able to code your car. PM.
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw92 View Post
That's great for you that it worked without issue. I'm not crying about replacing parts. I was not surprised by a misfire and immediately ordered a new set of coils and plugs. THAT is not the problem.

You even acknowledge that it's a risk, and not the "nothing bad will happen to your car" that MHD promises.

There's a big difference between dead coils or leaking seals because of increased boost pressure and a disabled DME because it was in a state that MHD didn't account for.
Clearly if the DME is already fucked it won't flash. Same as loading an app on your PC if the o/s is unstable.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #11486
Aus335iguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by threetirtyfive View Post
Just to rebalance the waters about this, myself and countless othersi know have been running mhd for years without issue. Something you're not understanding is that anything that pushes your engine harder will show up the weak spots, any any hardware just about working but nearly failing, will fail. Flashing back to stock won't magically fix it, you'll need to replace the broken component be it a coil, plug, vanos solenoid, injector or whatever. MHD in itself doesn't break anything, having old components on a ten plus year old car is what causes all these problems.
That's great for you that it worked without issue. I'm not crying about replacing parts. I was not surprised by a misfire and immediately ordered a new set of coils and plugs. THAT is not the problem.

You even acknowledge that it's a risk, and not the "nothing bad will happen to your car" that MHD promises.

There's a big difference between dead coils or leaking seals because of increased boost pressure and a disabled DME because it was in a state that MHD didn't account for.
In what universe did MHD say "nothing bad will happen"
That's what forum pundits will tell you and you should never believe it. BMW themselves wont change programming on a car to raise the integration level for this very reason. Computers fail, That's life.
      07-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #11487
scottw92
Rep
Drives: 09 E61 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetirtyfive View Post
Clearly if the DME is already fucked it won't flash. Same as loading an app on your PC if the o/s is unstable.
Where did I say the DME was anything but working properly? It was, before I touched the MHD app.

As far as where did MHD say nothing bad would happen? MHD emailed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHD
no thoughts, fuses are blowing that's life. Of course every now and then, a customer has a hardware issue at the exact same time as flashing and tries to put the blame on the app. That's ok, it happens. The flashing procedure is the same as the bmw tools, nothing diferent. If we had a recurring issue we would know it (over 100 000 dme flashes performed now with the 3 apps)
That's a pretty definitive disclaimer of taking responsibility for anything bad happening. If it happens, they claim it's not their problem. My issue, with two separate DME failure issues at the moment of programming defies a coincidence claim.

Edit: And I'm not trying to slag MHD. I'm showing what happened in my case. MHD replied a couple times and tried to help, which I appreciate. Unfortunately, I still have the 2E7C code, with no other issues in the car. This causes the oil level reading to be inoperative. From what I've found, the only solution to this has been DME replacement. Also unfortunately, MHD just told me not to worry about it.

It's something that happens. I'm not mad about it, just disappointed at the lack of responsibility MHD took for the problem.

Last edited by scottw92; 07-14-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #11488
roadkillrob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,16 X5 35i,12 C63 AMG

So found an interesting bug maybe (maybe it is expected), searched heavily and find lots of people with the code for various reasons, but no one that has had it happen for the reason I found.

Was running V8, had to go for inspection so flashed back to stock (long write not map 0). I didn't have a backup as I was running a flash when I switched to MHD (Giac) so could not back up the DME, so MHD just flashed current software for my ECU type (maybe this is why it happened?). Once I flashed back to stock was monitoring readiness and almost right away I started getting a 30BE code, Injector coding plausibility, car ran fine, got to readiness and inspected. Got home, put V8 Stage 2+ back on the car, drove for a week and checked and was still getting the 30BE code.

Took a look with INPA and the car had no injector coding at all, just ? instead of values, totally blank, seems like the flash back to stock erased all the injector coding and emptied the values.

I re-coded them today and with INPA and all is happy again no more 30BE code.

So incase anyone else seems to have this issue from flashing back to stock, recoding your injectors should do the trick.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #11489
Gixfighter
Rep
Drives: E91 2006 335i, M-sport

Hi Guys,

I’m new to MHD, installed the app today on an Android device I’ve got from work (I’m an Apple fan) however running short on memory space. The app itself is not big at all, however if I start purchasing maps will that require more memory space, and how much?
I already made a backup from the DME, I saw the file was 2mb. I want to start with stage 1 and later install stage 2. Have the downpipes and IC ready to be fitted. However afraid my android device hasn’t got enough memory to store the maps when I purchase the license. Does anyone know how much space stage 1 and 2 maps take on the memory? I can’t find the info anywhere. I’m assuming it does require more memory, but maybe that assumption is wrong in the first place?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #11490
Cabdriver
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixfighter View Post
Hi Guys,

I’m new to MHD, installed the app today on an Android device I’ve got from work (I’m an Apple fan) however running short on memory space. The app itself is not big at all, however if I start purchasing maps will that require more memory space, and how much?
I already made a backup from the DME, I saw the file was 2mb. I want to start with stage 1 and later install stage 2. Have the downpipes and IC ready to be fitted. However afraid my android device hasn’t got enough memory to store the maps when I purchase the license. Does anyone know how much space stage 1 and 2 maps take on the memory? I can’t find the info anywhere. I’m assuming it does require more memory, but maybe that assumption is wrong in the first place?

Thanks!!
Just my two cents but why bother with stage 1? I would just go with the stage 2 map, save $70, this way you get 2 and 2+.

Just my input, I ended up doing that and didnt look back. You may need a clutch with 2+ but that's going to happen much sooner rather than later, assuming you have an 6mt.
Anyways good luck, enjoy your new found power.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #11491
2007BMW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Good info, thanks! I didn't update this thread, but you are right on.

One of the problems (the main one) ended up being exactly where you were looking. F02 was blown. I had been through the plenum electronics box once checking fuses, but I had never seen a fuse cluster like that, and on first glance I thought it was an empty fuse box.

Once I replaced that, the car started and most of the codes cleared.

During the troubleshooting process, I put in a new AGM battery, but the first and second batteries were always charged and there was a 10A charger hooked to the terminals under the hood when using the MHD app.

There's still a problem that points to the programming of the DME, though. I'm getting 2E7C and have no oil level readout. All grounds are solid, connectors for the alternator and water pump have been disconnected, cleaned and reconnected. From what I can find, the solution to this is DME replacement.

Man, MHD takes zero responsibility for everything, saying that they have 10000 DMEs coded and no problems... but it's easy to say that when you don't accept that your stuff caused a problem! I had ZERO problems with the car when I started. After flashing MHD software, which programs the DME, I went to a no-start car because of a DME fuse blown during programming, then a persistent fault that again points at the DME.

MHD said that they've had the 2E7C code before and to ignore it, it'll go away. Well, it's been a couple hundred miles and it's still there. Disappointing.
Fuse F03 powers the oil condition sensor, it appears to go somewhere else but I could not determine where. The DME is an unlikely source for a blown fuse. But the possibilities are the sensor, the wiring and the DME. I guess a short in the sensor or a short in the wiring could take out the signal circuit in the DME as it should never see 12 volts. The code is a BSD fault, BSD items include •Alternator

•Intelligent battery sensor (depending on model series)

•Combustion preheating control module (on diesel engines but not DDE7)

•Electrical coolant pump (depending on variant)

•Oil condition sensor (depending on variant)
Since we know F03 powers one of those items I would concentrate on it and it's wiring.
138,000+ miles, MHD, VRSF 5" FMIC, Aluminum charge pipes. E50 tune by Wedge Performance. 3" Catless DP's. DCI cold side w/silicone Inlets. N20 TMAP, "Stage 2" Walbro 450 LPFP. xHP Stage 3. 1/4 mile 12.079sec @ 118.79mph. (2.03 60')
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #11492
Gixfighter
Rep
Drives: E91 2006 335i, M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabdriver View Post
Just my two cents but why bother with stage 1? I would just go with the stage 2 map, save $70, this way you get 2 and 2+.

Just my input, I ended up doing that and didnt look back. You may need a clutch with 2+ but that's going to happen much sooner rather than later, assuming you have an 6mt.
Yeah you may be right. Might skip stage 1 after all. But regardless, anyone has an answer on how much space It requires on the device to get these maps installed?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 10:21 PM   #11493
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabdriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixfighter View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks!!

What clutch would you recommend ?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:37 AM   #11494
blake1122
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hi everyone, new user and hoping for some advice.

08 335i. Whenever I flash a MDH map, it fails first try. Then when I do the retry failed map it always works.
This isn't really an issue though.

Issue/question 1. I did stage 1 and it seems ok. Small increase in responsiveness and boost.
But whenever I let off a wot pull now, I get a small blow off noise, is this normal? I know our cars don't have bov's but does the air build still make a "psssccchh" sound for a second after pulling?
Or do you think I have a leak somewhere? I have a vrsf chargepipe.

Issue 2. I tried stage 1+ , and on any wot pull in any gear, the car goes into limp mode before I get near redline.
I then scan the codes and it shows nothing. Turning the car off and on instantly puts it back to normal.
Not sure where to start with trying to fix this. Spark plugs? HPFP?

Issue 3. For a laugh I thought I would test the burble. No matter what settings I put it on, there is no burble or change to exhaust. I understand one needs to rev and let off etc, there is definitely no burble at all though.
I don't actually want the fake burble, but not I am worried that it = an issue by not working XD

Thanks for any answers in advance and SORRY for so many questions!
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #11495
scottw92
Rep
Drives: 09 E61 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007BMW335i View Post
Fuse F03 powers the oil condition sensor, it appears to go somewhere else but I could not determine where. The DME is an unlikely source for a blown fuse. But the possibilities are the sensor, the wiring and the DME. I guess a short in the sensor or a short in the wiring could take out the signal circuit in the DME as it should never see 12 volts. The code is a BSD fault, BSD items include •Alternator

•Intelligent battery sensor (depending on model series)

•Combustion preheating control module (on diesel engines but not DDE7)

•Electrical coolant pump (depending on variant)

•Oil condition sensor (depending on variant)
Since we know F03 powers one of those items I would concentrate on it and it's wiring.
Thanks for taking your time to look into this. A couple points -- the BSD code happened as soon as I flashed the Stage 1 tune at the beginning. The fuse blow happened when I tried to reset to stock. The fuse was F02, I believe (May have been F04, depending on how that box is numbered). Oil sensor seems clean, I removed and cleaned the contacts with no change. ISTA shows no problems with IBS or water pump. Reading everything I can find on the error and multiple people had the problem solved only with DME replacement.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:48 AM   #11496
NoGuru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2011 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1122 View Post

08 335i. Whenever I flash a MDH map, it fails first try. Then when I do the retry failed map it always works.

Issue/question 1. I did stage 1 and it seems ok. Small increase in responsiveness and boost.
But whenever I let off a wot pull now, I get a small blow off noise, is this normal? I know our cars don't have bov's but does the air build still make a "psssccchh" sound for a second after pulling?

Issue 2. I tried stage 1+ , and on any wot pull in any gear, the car goes into limp mode before I get near redline.
I then scan the codes and it shows nothing. Turning the car off and on instantly puts it back to normal.

Issue 3. For a laugh I thought I would test the burble. No matter what settings I put it on, there is no burble or change to exhaust. I understand one needs to rev and let off etc, there is definitely no burble at all though.
I don't actually want the fake burble, but not I am worried that it = an issue by not working XD

Q1; if you have a VRSF charge pipe you probably have a BOV. Regardless, this is normal as the turbo pressure has to be released on let off.

Q2; Start with plugs, then coils. I believe we can use the M4 coils if I recall.

Q3; That one is a puzzle, but if it does not work, I would not worry about it.
2011 335is MHD Stage 2+ / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 5" ETS FMIC / Stage 2 bucketless / Motive Flex Fuel / Vwetish Diff Brace / Carbon wrapped roof / M4 Grill / 15mm spacers in rear / Arkym front lip
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #11497
blake1122
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
Q1; if you have a VRSF charge pipe you probably have a BOV. Regardless, this is normal as the turbo pressure has to be released on let off.
I definitely don't have a bov,

thanks for info. I have replacement spark plugs and will do this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:15 AM   #11498
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1122 View Post

Q2; Start with plugs, then coils. I believe we can use the M4 coils if I recall.

Q3; That one is a puzzle, but if it does not work, I would not worry about it.
Yes we can use m4 coils i have been running them for sometime now
Appreciate 0