E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast > Drove bunch of BMW's at Susan Komen event

03-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
BeAmW335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Smile Drove bunch of BMW's at Susan Komen event

I attended the Susan Komen Breast Cancer event today, so I'll write my little review about the cars and the event. I attended the event in Gainesville, FL. About 70 degrees outside. It wasn't very crowded, so my wife and I got to drive 6 different cars. They had lots of snacks from Panera: coffee, water, etc. All cars were fully loaded and steptronic, except for the M3 and one Z4 convertible, which were manual. Almost all the cars had around 2000-3500 miles on them.

Car #1 - E92 M3 Of course! 6-speed with about 3500 miles on it. I had very high expectations from this car because of all the hype about it, and also because I have never driven an M3 before. First thing I noticed once I got in the car was that the steering wheel was fatter and softer than my 335 (felt good though), and so were the seats (yes softer). The EDC button had two lights lit, which is supposed to put it in the sportiest mode, however, I did not see the MDM (M Dynamic Mode) light on the dash. The shift knob was also an inch smaller and overall feel was good. Throws were a bit shorter than 335, but shifting through gears wasn't extraordinary. The first time I took the car out and punched the gas in 1st, traction control was blinking all over, and the car didn't feel special. I felt the lack of torque immediately, and the steering wheel at low speeds was softer than my 335 also. Once I took the traction control fully off, the car was happy to do some fish-tailing. The car was riding on PS2's (stock I think), but they had a very tough time getting traction in 1st. I even checked the tire thread once I got out, and they were not bald! Honestly, my RFT's feel better in 1st (I expected the exact opposite). I can go on and on, but basically the M3 is faster than a 335, lack of torque is noticeable, and the engine is very very smooth all the way to the red-line. Seats, steering wheel, and even the suspension felt softer than the 335. You don't feel the 400+ hp. When you look at the speedo you realize how fast you are going. I missed the torque, but loved the silky smooth engine. At 4K+ RPMs, the exhaust note was beautiful, and louder than a 335. Conclusion, a very nice car, but not worth the extra cash over the 335i "for me". I'm not a track junky where the M3 may have an advantage, but I had absolutely no regets when I drove away in my 335. Even my wife said she likes the way the 335 feels. I guess I was a little dissapointed with the legendary M3.

Car #2 - 650i Convertible. Very nice and fast. V8 exhaust note is very very nice outside, but is barely audible inside. Excellent braking power for such a heavy car. The fancy shifter was interesting too.

Car #3 - 550i. Same as 650i. It was probably my favorite, or maybe the second favorite car out of all the cars we drove. It was just the right size, didn't feel like a boat at all, it was fast, smooth yet tight, and had all the right stuff. Oh, the engine doesn't feel like a big slow V8 at all. It's like a more powerful version of the 328. Lots of power, torque, and rev happy all the way to the red-line. Just for kicks I checked the oil temp, and it was about 210.

Car #4 - 328i Convertible. If 335 is too expensive, 328 has enough power for most people. My wife enjoyed driving it a lot, and didn't care about the extra power of the 335.

Car #5 - 335i Convertible. I think we all have read enough 335 reviews. By the way, it had an oil cooler and temps were about 240.

Car #6 - Z4 Convertible. My least favorite car. Interior simply felt cheap and everything felt out-dated. Even the steering wheel was thin and ugly. I'll take a 328 over the Z4 anyday. No wonder these cars are so heavily discounted. If you own a Z4, just ignore what I just said and enjoy your car!

Saw the X6 in person. It had the V8 TT, but it was just parked under the tent. It looked ok, I guess. Nice fat tires, but just funky looking rear end. I took couple of pics of the M3, but I think we have seen enough M3 pics.

-------------------------------------------------

Cliff Notes -

M3 - great car, but a bit over-rated IMO. Loved the engine and exhaust note...that's about it.
328ci - deserves more respect than it gets from the 335 crowd.
550i - Wow! Newly found respect. Nice growl from the exhaust too.
650ci - Nice coupe/convertible if you can afford it. Doesn't feel like a boat.
Z4 - Just look at it from the outside, say "Cool", and move right along.

Last edited by BeAmW335i; 03-07-2008 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
matt_435xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Perfomance Model 3

Garage List
nice review, i hope those manuals last the long tour across America before I (PA) get my hands on them! we don't see the breast drive until Oct this year!!

*RETIRED* 2015 435xi GC [f36] | 2012 335i [f30] | 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
Appreciate 0