E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Introduce Myself and My Project :)

06-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #23
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Was this can involved in an accident before?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #24
Savage520
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan

Okay so I've been attempting to install INPA on my windows 10 laptop and it's proven itself a task. If anyone would like to point me to a guide with valid download links id appreciate it! or I'd be willing to toss some change for a remote install
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #25
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Use the downloads from bimmergeeks.net. All the latest files and easiest to get setup.
Appreciate 1
Indyeah141.00
      06-04-2018, 06:59 PM   #26
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage520 View Post
Not the oil filter cap, the actual oil fill cap
Is the fill cap actually leaking? My car has some oil residue down from around the fill cap, all around the valvetronic motor gasket, and along the edge of the valve cover. It doesn't look like it is leaking. I just assumed that the previous owner was sloppy with filling oil and spilled it between the engine cover and on top of the valve cover.

My bad oil leak was the oil filter housing gasket. I could actually see it dripping out when the engine was running, but fortunately it just ran down along the front of the engine and not on the belts. I replaced it last weekend however in doing so I cracked the coolant coupler where the thermostat hose attaches to the head. New part arrives this week so I can drive the car again soon.

That OFHG was the biggest leak. With that repaired, I'm going to clean the engine and see where else the oil is leaking from. I do have a valve cover gasket, valvetronic motor gasket, and new set of aluminum bolts (N52 in my 06 has a metal valve cover with single use aluminum bolts) ready to be installed when I have time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Use the downloads from bimmergeeks.net. All the latest files and easiest to get setup.
^^^ what this guy said.

All the software from Bimmergeeks comes with a readme file with instructions for the installation. I followed it and it worked perfectly. If you're using anything newer than Windows 98 (which I hope you are) then you have to run the installer in compatibility mode. The readme file tells you how to do this.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #27
max_330i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Was this can involved in an accident before?
It might have a clean Carfax, but every $1500 car has been through something.
      06-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #28
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
Is the fill cap actually leaking? My car has some oil residue down from around the fill cap, all around the valvetronic motor gasket, and along the edge of the valve cover. It doesn't look like it is leaking. I just assumed that the previous owner was sloppy with filling oil and spilled it between the engine cover and on top of the valve cover.

My bad oil leak was the oil filter housing gasket. I could actually see it dripping out when the engine was running, but fortunately it just ran down along the front of the engine and not on the belts. I replaced it last weekend however in doing so I cracked the coolant coupler where the thermostat hose attaches to the head. New part arrives this week so I can drive the car again soon.

That OFHG was the biggest leak. With that repaired, I'm going to clean the engine and see where else the oil is leaking from. I do have a valve cover gasket, valvetronic motor gasket, and new set of aluminum bolts (N52 in my 06 has a metal valve cover with single use aluminum bolts) ready to be installed when I have time.

^^^ what this guy said.

All the software from Bimmergeeks comes with a readme file with instructions for the installation. I followed it and it worked perfectly. If you're using anything newer than Windows 98 (which I hope you are) then you have to run the installer in compatibility mode. The readme file tells you how to do this.
VCG is not as urgent as OFHG because it doesn't leak on serpentine but if it gets bad too bad it'll start leaking into your coils and cause misfire. I'd fix that ASAP if I were you.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2018, 10:49 PM   #29
Savage520
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Ight another update! So I have parts on order but for now I cleaned the vanos solenoids and gave her an oil flush. Seemed to help a lot but this damn misfire is still here. Replaced the leaky oil cap that I found out had a vac leak. After replacing the cap a giant suction sound appeared, coming from a little hose connector on top of the valve cover. The pic attached shows. Could this be the culprit? Any info on this hose?

Btw just got paid so belt kit is on its way. Any other parts I should order with it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #30
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ight another update! So I have parts on order but for now I cleaned the vanos solenoids and gave her an oil flush. Seemed to help a lot but this damn misfire is still here. Replaced the leaky oil cap that I found out had a vac leak. After replacing the cap a giant suction sound appeared, coming from a little hose connector on top of the valve cover. The pic attached shows. Could this be the culprit? Any info on this hose?

Btw just got paid so belt kit is on its way. Any other parts I should order with it?
that's the eccentric shaft sensor connector. it sits on top of valves near the timing chain.

Are you sure your VCG is not leaking? It can leak on the coils causing misfire.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2018, 09:59 PM   #31
Savage520
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Breakthrough!!!! I need y'all to explain this to me.... so I'm still waiting on parts in the mail but I try to make it a habit to do something to the car everyday, today I decided to clean up the engine bay and look for vac leaks... in the process of this I bent this plastic tray that holds the connectors up off the rail and for some reason the misfire disappeared or at least got a lot better. Didn't believe it myself but I put it back and bam the misfire returns.... so I decide to bend it back again and go for a drive and let me tell you it rides waaayy smoother. Can anyone explain this? Kinda has me dumbfounded :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #32
Savage520
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

BimmerPleaser, I think the vcg May be leaking... cleaned engine bay today to see if any leaks pop up. Was so dirty before I couldn't tell what was what

Also! I got my windows in today and am hoping to get them installed rn. Any tips? It's the left rear passenger window and vent window

And to everyone asking about the oil filter housing gasket... if you're talking about where the cap screws on I just replaced that gasket with the oil change and doesn't seem to be leaking... if you're talking about where it connects to the engine, I just cleaned the engine bay and will find out soon and get back to y'all! Thank you guys so much again best forum I've had the pleasure to be a part of..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #33
Dan Bilzerian
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 6MT

Replace all fluids! Looked like the top of your power steering reservoir was a little bit crusty too.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #34
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
BimmerPleaser, I think the vcg May be leaking... cleaned engine bay today to see if any leaks pop up. Was so dirty before I couldn't tell what was what

Also! I got my windows in today and am hoping to get them installed rn. Any tips? It's the left rear passenger window and vent window

And to everyone asking about the oil filter housing gasket... if you're talking about where the cap screws on I just replaced that gasket with the oil change and doesn't seem to be leaking... if you're talking about where it connects to the engine, I just cleaned the engine bay and will find out soon and get back to y'all! Thank you guys so much again best forum I've had the pleasure to be a part of..
OFHG(oil filter housing gasket) refers to where the oil filter housing meets the engine
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2018, 10:18 PM   #35
Savage520
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you, when cleaning the engine bay the oil filter housing sure did have a lot of caked up dirt under there, but so did everything lol. I will see if a leak appears in the next day or so since it's all clean now!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 11:30 PM   #36
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, when cleaning the engine bay the oil filter housing sure did have a lot of caked up dirt under there, but so did everything lol. I will see if a leak appears in the next day or so since it's all clean now!
if you suspect OFHG is leaking do NOT drive it, don't even turn it on. oil dripping on the serpentine will cause it to dislodge and get sucked into the engine. That's will be the end of your adventure.

That gasket is actually pretty easy and cheap to replace. you don't even have to remove the manifold.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #37
Indyeah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i 6MT SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶o̶d̶.̶ ̶E̶x̶a̶c̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶n̶k̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶

A̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶s̶i̶t̶e̶

Might be the firewall at the office causing this. Will try at home later.

Last edited by Indyeah; 06-07-2018 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #38
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Breakthrough!!!! I need y'all to explain this to me.... so I'm still waiting on parts in the mail but I try to make it a habit to do something to the car everyday, today I decided to clean up the engine bay and look for vac leaks... in the process of this I bent this plastic tray that holds the connectors up off the rail and for some reason the misfire disappeared or at least got a lot better. Didn't believe it myself but I put it back and bam the misfire returns.... so I decide to bend it back again and go for a drive and let me tell you it rides waaayy smoother. Can anyone explain this? Kinda has me dumbfounded :
Those connectors on the rail are your fuel injector connectors. It sounds like you have a loose or broken connector or wire, and if an injector isn't working that means no fuel, no combustion, therefore you have a misfire.

The Oil Filter Housing gasket isn't the O-ring around the cap. The oil filter housing is an aluminum assembly that bolts to the block - this contains the oil filter and cap, and there's also a big coolant line going to it. It's a flat surface that it mates to and it's subject to a lot of heat cycles so the rubber gasket inside gets hard and brittle and eventually fails.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...eplacement.htm

I replaced mine last week, and although not difficult it wasn't as easy as it should have been. The bolts are a pain to access, especially the one in the back under the intake manifold. Mine was visibly leaking when the engine was running and there was fresh oil and dusty sludge all over the front of my engine, but fortunately it didn't touch the serpentine belt.

I think I mentioned this in the thread here (or maybe somewhere else) but in order to more easily access the lower bolt of the oil filter housing and get enough torque to loosen it, I removed the other coolant line going from the thermostat to the cylinder head, to the left of the oil filter housing (left, when facing the engine from the front of the car). This hose is removed by two bolts (10mm I think?) that are attached to a plastic coupler. This plastic coupler is most likely destroyed and will fall apart into many pieces when you remove it, and the O-ring will be so swollen that it won't fit properly. The coolant hose is probably also swollen, as it was for me. A new hose with the plastic coupler is only $20 (Febi-Bilstein brand) and will suffice for a long time however I bought a machined aluminum coupler to hopefully prevent this from ever happening again.
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2018, 03:51 AM   #39
Savage520
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

LONG AWAITED UPDATE

So I was having issues with my belt kit coming in the mail so I didn't have much to update on but it's 2 am and I just finished installing it so I figured I'd update y'all! How's it look? I also changed plugs and coil packs, cleaned vanos, throttle body, motor flush, [IMG][/IMG]more maintenance stuff and she's running very well! No longer stalling at stop signs and the misfire is scarce now. Still clearing codes and checking again tomorrow!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 07:32 AM   #40
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep

Glad it’s coming along nicely. But honestly, I would not worry about replacing the coils unless they fail and need to be replaced. In my experience BMW coils can fail anytime regardless of how old they are.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #41
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Good to hear! And nice job bringing her back from the dead
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #42
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
LONG AWAITED UPDATE

So I was having issues with my belt kit coming in the mail so I didn't have much to update on but it's 2 am and I just finished installing it so I figured I'd update y'all! How's it look?
Looks crispy. Very nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 12:13 PM   #43
Bimmer Pleaser
First Lieutenant
Rep

I can see some grime around your oil filter housing gasket, make sure it’s not leaking.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #44
Savage520
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So I cleaned around the oil filter housing and it seems it may be barely seeping, no drips or wet fingers, dust just seems to gather a little around the gasket. Figure it's not too much of an issue?

Thank y'all for all the help, she's really coming together. the difference in performance is night and day.
Appreciate 0