E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > -= 6NR ConnectedDrive Retrofit by Patrys =-

04-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #23
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

Nice work
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #24
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys View Post
The hardware is all OEM and will be installed by our installers as a part of the group buy:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513645
How can it all be OEM if it allows you to do something that isn't possible with OEM equipment, i.e. using PlugIn and video playback without the cradle?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #25
nelson29
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2005 E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
How can it all be OEM if it allows you to do something that isn't possible with OEM equipment, i.e. using PlugIn and video playback without the cradle?
Its using OEM parts only.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 11:18 AM   #26
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson29 View Post
Its using OEM parts only.
That doesn't answer the question. My understanding of why PlugIn and video playback requires the cradle is because those functions aren't data signals; they're delivered over the iPhone dock connector's video out pins similar to TV-out, and the dock-to-USB cables don't tap those pins. So unless you've got some sort of Y-cable that takes a dock connector and separates out to USB and a connector that attaches directly to the smartphone integration baseplate without requiring the cradle (which wouldn't be OEM), I can't see how this would be possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #27
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW G11

Today has checked up old IPOD classic 80gb - Video Films shows - all Works!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #28
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEN View Post
Today has checked up old IPOD classic 80gb - Video Films shows - all Works!
I can see that -- my question all along has been HOW this works.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:22 PM   #29
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
I can see that -- my question all along has been HOW this works.
CIC+COMBOX+ Original OEM parts
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #30
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEN View Post
CIC+COMBOX+ Original OEM parts
And what have you done differently from the stock OEM implementation that allows you to use PlugIn/video through the USB port when stock only allows it through a Media cradle?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #31
MEN@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
And what have you done differently from the stock OEM implementation that allows you to use PlugIn/video through the USB port when stock only allows it through a Media cradle?
So have solved at factory BMW, but we have made a little differently

It is not necessary to buy expensive Media cradle
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #32
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

I can see you are very interested in technical details of our solution, but we are not giving any further info on this except the fact that all parts are OEM and it works great.

The solution is only available in the 6NR group buy and it will be installed by our installers:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=1#post9342682
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #33
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Dude, what you are asking is the actual business of the vendor. Do you really believe that the vendor -any vendor- will tell you how to rip his business up?

The Internet is really making some people think that everything must be free and that whatever is being asked must be answered and now...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #34
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can see you are very interested in technical details of our solution, but we are not giving any further info on this except the fact that all parts are OEM and it works great.

The solution is only available in the 6NR group buy and it will be installed by our installers:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=1#post9342682
Can you at least confirm that the 100% OEM parts are unmodified, i.e. no wire splices, wire taps, or other solutions of that sort?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #35
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Dude, what you are asking is the actual business of the vendor. Do you really believe that the vendor -any vendor- will tell you how to rip his business up?

The Internet is really making some people think that everything must be free and that whatever is being asked must be answered and now...
And the Internet is making people think that rightfully. Lots of vendors here sell remote coding services for example, including Patrys here, but anyone with $100 for a cable, the necessary time, and a desire to learn can find everything they need to do all of that coding themselves at ********* dot com. That doesn't mean these remote coders aren't providing a valuable service -- those who don't want to purchase the necessary cable, don't want to risk bricking their car, or can't be bothered to expend the necessary time and effort might prefer to pay someone else, and that's fine and perfectly understandable.

I think the same applies here, specifically that plenty of people would still be interested in paying for this mod even with the technical details exposed because several people fall into at least one of the camps I just described. I for one am turned OFF of this mod because of the lack of information; I don't like the idea of someone putting unknown parts in an unknown implementation into my car.

Patrys' "actual business" as you put it could be simply selling the installation service and know-how for those who don't want to find out how to do it and install it themselves, and I think that would be very lucrative. Businesses that rely on keeping tight lips tend not to have their business last very long because of the Internet and the fact that there are a lot of smart people out there who will figure out whatever you did or simply pay you to do it and then reverse engineer your solution. That happened with Video-in-Motion. People charged hundreds or more for that and now it's out in the open.

Last edited by jphughan; 04-11-2011 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #36
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

I'd have to agree with jphughan. Being within the Technical subforum implies there is some sort of technical information being discussed/shared about the systems, and not an indirect sales pitch. An example of a technical session would be like we displayed with the LCI retrofits last summer:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386825

It's great that these retrofits are made available to the public. But if this is simply a product announcement with no information being shared, with the sole intention of selling retrofit kits - this should be in the Sponsor's section as per the forums' TOS.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #37
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
And the Internet is making people think that rightfully. Lots of vendors here sell remote coding services for example, including Patrys here, but anyone with $100 for a cable, the necessary time, and a desire to learn can find everything they need to do all of that coding themselves at ********* dot com. That doesn't mean these remote coders aren't providing a valuable service -- those who don't want to purchase the necessary cable, don't want to risk bricking their car, or can't be bothered to expend the necessary time and effort might prefer to pay someone else, and that's fine and perfectly understandable.

I think the same applies here, specifically that plenty of people would still be interested in paying for this mod even with the technical details exposed because several people fall into at least one of the camps I just described. I for one am turned OFF of this mod because of the lack of information; I don't like the idea of someone putting unknown parts in an unknown implementation into my car.

Patrys' "actual business" as you put it could be simply selling the installation service and know-how for those who don't want to find out how to do it and install it themselves, and I think that would be very lucrative. Businesses that rely on keeping tight lips tend not to have their business last very long because of the Internet and the fact that there are a lot of smart people out there who will figure out whatever you did or simply pay you to do it and then reverse engineer your solution. That happened with Video-in-Motion. People charged hundreds or more for that and now it's out in the open.
And still you want a vendor to tell you how he did it, right?

So what about you figuring it out on your own and then posting how you did it? That's what a lot of forum contributors did in the coding section.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #38
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
I'd have to agree with jphughan. Being within the Technical subforum implies there is some sort of technical information being discussed/shared about the systems, and not an indirect sales pitch. An example of a technical session would be like we displayed with the LCI retrofits last summer:

It's great that these retrofits are made available to the public. But if this is simply a product announcement with no information being shared, with the sole intention of selling retrofit kits - this should be in the Sponsor's section as per the forums' TOS.
Yes, it should. And by just looking at the title of the thread I don't think that anybody should be confused about what this is about, which it is a sales pitch and not a technical discussion.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #39
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And still you want a vendor to tell you how he did it, right?

So what about you figuring it out on your own and then posting how you did it? That's what a lot of forum contributors did in the coding section.
If I understood what was going to be done to my car then yes I might still be interested in paying the vendor to do it -- if a doctor said "Hey we need to perform a few procedures on you but we're not going to tell you what we're doing or how we're doing it, just the end result," what would you think of that? On the other hand, if he explained how the procedure would work then if you still wanted it, you'd probably still ask him to do it rather than trying to go off and do it yourself -- it's not always the case that knowledge shared is business lost. I understand my example is more serious than a car mod, but it's the same logic.

I don't have the knowledge to figure this out myself or I would have done it already -- I can contribute on plenty of other topics and have (such as free coding), but on this one I was hoping that I could be the consumer and the vendor might be a bit more open.

Last edited by jphughan; 04-11-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #40
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
If I understood what was going to be done to my car then yes I might still be interested in paying the vendor to do it -- if a doctor said "Hey we need to perform a few procedures on you but we're not going to tell you what we're doing or how we're doing it, just the end result," what would you think of that? I understand that's more serious than a car mod, but it's the same logic.
I hear what you are saying and agree. With my Audi I did a lot of things by myself, including making my own OBD-II adapter. This time around I found the details needed to make the adapter although purchasing one for $80 was a much easier solution. I understand the one I purchased needs to have pin 8 disconnected but that's fine and easy to do. The vendor was very open with me and therefore got my sale.

It would be nice to know what is being done so we could decide. I've seen a lot of mods that I'd consider but many are skipped because of cutting or splicing cables, which is a BIG No No in my book. Don't know what is being done here so that makes it a no go for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #41
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
If I understood what was going to be done to my car then yes I might still be interested in paying the vendor to do it -- if a doctor said "Hey we need to perform a few procedures on you but we're not going to tell you what we're doing or how we're doing it, just the end result," what would you think of that? I understand that's more serious than a car mod, but it's the same logic.

I don't have the knowledge to figure this out myself or I would have done it already -- I can contribute on plenty of other topics and have (such as free coding), but on this one I was hoping that I could be the consumer and the vendor might be a bit more open.
A quick search in the coding section will show you that you are not the only one looking for the coding of enabling video in motion in the CIC. It is just not that simple, and that's the reason several vendors have made a business out of that coding.

My point is simple, being a vendor here is very expensive -that's the only reason I'm not one- and selling products and services is the only way of paying the forum vendor fees and making a buck or two. Perhaps that's not welcome for some forum members accustomed to free advice, DIY and plenty of photos and descriptions, but that's the way it is for a vendor.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #42
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A quick search in the coding section will show you that you are not the only one looking for the coding of enabling video in motion in the CIC. It is just not that simple, and that's the reason several vendors have made a business out of that coding.

My point is simple, being a vendor here is very expensive -that's the only reason I'm not one- and selling products and services is the only way of paying the forum vendor fees and making a buck or two. Perhaps that's not welcome for some forum members accustomed to free advice, DIY and plenty of photos and descriptions, but that's the way it is for a vendor.
DVD in Motion now has a method that's barely any more difficult than normal coding: BMW Coding dot com/showthread.php?4-DVD-in-Motion-for-CIC&p=684&viewfull=1#post684 -- requires an account.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:50 PM   #43
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

You have right to have your own opinion and I am not going to discuss it with you. I simply respect it.

All I ask you and others having similar opinion to respect our right not to post any technical details just yet.

If I say all parts are OEM this should be enough for most people to make a decision if they want to get it or not.
Also this is not a commercial thread, but its purpose is purely informative like many others in this section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

You should be the last person to judge me.
You posted so much false info on my services before and now trying to teach me what I should do and what I shouldn't do by putting yourself as an example.

So what's that?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500107

A very technical post indeed...
You can find many similar examples from other vendors too.

You are asking me to post info that part of my business is based on.
Why don't you post where you buy the LCI tail lights and let people place a group order from your source rather than from you or give any other info away that is fundamental for your business.

It's so easy to judge people around...

The purpose of this thread is to let people know that something everybody thought would not be possible is in fact possible.

Give me a break please. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 04:56 PM   #44
tom @ eas
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Yes, it should. And by just looking at the title of the thread I don't think that anybody should be confused about what this is about, which it is a sales pitch and not a technical discussion.
Which is my point. We simply want others to follow the rules we're are expected to.

Quote:
You have right to have your own opinion and I am not going to discuss it with you. I simply respect it.

All I ask you and others having similar opinion to respect our right not to post any technical details just yet.

If I say all parts are OEM this should be enough for most people to make a decision if they want to get it or not.
Also this is not a commercial thread, but its purpose is purely informative like many others in this section.

You should be the last person to judge me.
You posted so much false info on my services before and now trying to teach me what I should do and what I shouldn't do by putting yourself as an example.

So what's that?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500107

A very technical post indeed...
You can find many similar examples from other vendors too.

You are asking me to post info that part of my business is based on.
Why don't you post where you buy the LCI tail lights and let people place a group order from your source rather than from you or give any other info away that is fundamental for your business.

It's so easy to judge people around...

The purpose of this thread is to let people know that something everybody thought would not be possible is in fact possible.

Give me a break please. Thanks!
Patrys: I've never said anything ill/negative towards you directly - only the fact this thread does not belong here as it has no technical value.

For the sake of keeping forum drama to a minimum - we will end this here.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0