E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > BMW Alarm -- Panic Button Feature

01-25-2014, 11:25 PM   #1
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
BMW Alarm -- Panic Button Feature

I read a lot of threads before installing the OEM alarm kit in my 2008 335i E90 and I don't recall any mention of the "panic button" feature of the alarm. After I installed the kit and it was programmed a couple of weeks ago, I asked the installer if there was a panic button feature. He said he didn't think so and I left it at that.

However, tonight in the garage, I tried to open the trunk which was locked and I held the trunk button on the key fob just a bit longer than normal and the alarm siren beeped briefly. So, I pushed the trunk button again but instead held it down steadily for about 3 seconds and all hell broke loose -- the siren went off full blast and all of the lights (front & rear) and the side markers flashed at the same time. Have repeated this several times to confirm that the hold time is approximately 3 secs.

I think that this is a very important safety feature missing from all BMWs w/o an alarm installed and would be particularly useful for anyone (particularly women) approaching their car alone at night in a relatively deserted parking lot or garage. It might be enough to scare someone with bad intentions away and is certainly better than not having any alarm at all.

So, if you don't already have an alarm installed in your car, I highly recommend that you get one and just make sure that it's programmed to operate properly, when you do.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Page 23 in mine. I'll admit, it's kind of annoying that the alarm doesn't come standard, and I wish I had one. But I also don't think it's all that useful. If you live somewhere that there's a legitimate risk, the stock alarm isn't a huge barrier, and if you don't, well, you don't.
      01-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #3
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post

Page 23 in mine.
Sorry, didn't think to do that BUT I'll look it up now that you mention it.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingshiftworker View Post
Sorry, didn't think to do that BUT I'll look it up now that you mention it.
Apparently, neither did your installer. It seems most people don't.
      01-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
Apparently, neither did your installer. It seems most people don't.
True but I did RTFM when trying to pair my garage door opener w/Homelink and when trying to figure out what the various iDrive vehicle settings were BUT the f*cking manual is decidedly user UNFRIENDLY and some of the info was hard to find via the index and when I found it wasn't entirely clear.

FWIW, I found most of the info that I needed in a thread here and on other forums and I generally do that FIRST and then resort to the manual only when I can't find any info otherwise. The info on pairing a roaming garage door opener in the manual was particularly unhelpful and I relied on a post in a thread to get that done. The info on the iDrive vehicle settings was "there" but I had to flip all over the f*cking manual to find the info I wanted.

So, although it is common for people to not RTFM, there sometimes is a good reason for NOT doing that first.

Last edited by SSW; 01-26-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0