E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > My E91 - Project Sportification

09-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #199
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

In other news, I replaced my hatch struts yesterday. The old ones where not too bad, but new ones open and close the hatch very smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #200
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

+1 on the sigh...that's why we pay dealers crazy money!

I hear a lot of people getting good results with whiteline rsfb inserts, so I'd go for it while you have it apart. you can do the bushings etc properly next year when you have time, like you say.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #201
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
+1 on the sigh...that's why we pay dealers crazy money!

I hear a lot of people getting good results with whiteline rsfb inserts, so I'd go for it while you have it apart. you can do the bushings etc properly next year when you have time, like you say.
Haha!
Yeah, it's time-consuming, but wasn't too bad in the end and I have the list now and ready to order. Hopefully, next week I can tackle some of this.
I have a loooong list.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 02:38 AM   #202
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
So, I am assembling all the bits and pieces for a suspension overhaul.
My car passed an inspection recently, so I don't have any "must-dos" after changing the thrust arms a couple of years ago.
Shall I add Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts to the list? The rust on the rear subframe is starting, but not bad at all yet. I know that ideally, I'd buy a replacement subframe, replace all bushings and control arms etc. on that and install it all in one go, but I just don't have that kind of time. I even wonder if I need the inserts at this point. I can do them along with engine and tranny mounts sometime next year, but it would mean a need for another alignment, right?
I will be replacing rear control arm bushings along with installing new shock mounts when I put the STs on.
Now, I just need to go through all the diagrams and order new bolts and nuts for everything! Sigh.
Whiteline RSFB what was one the best improvements I did. Oddly, the car handles like a BMW now, not a Buick.

Also, with @nsjames on the electro-dipstick. Works fine. Don’t miss manual dipstick at all. This car burns virtually zero oil and even if it did the dipstick seems quite accurate as to the amount when I do need to add oil.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #203
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
+1 on the Whiteline rear subframe inserts! Really much better feel all around and it should definitely be a "while you are in there" mod as they are relatively low cost.

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2020, 03:17 PM   #204
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Thanks guys!
I added the Whiteline inserts to the list.

I also need to address the weak A/C. I can hear the compressor engage, so that seems fine.

I need to poke around INPA to see how to check AC line pressure. On our Audi, it's quite easy to check.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 02:16 AM   #205
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Doors View Post
+1 on the Whiteline rear subframe inserts! Really much better feel all around and it should definitely be a "while you are in there" mod as they are relatively low cost.
what mileage did u put them in and what happened?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #206
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Soooo, bad thing happened.
My wife was entering a parking garage and tried to move a corner of the garage with the car. It turns out that sheet metal yields to concrete!
She felt very bad as we both love this car.

In summary, we need to replace the rear passenger door and bottom of the quarter panel needs to be fixed and a bit of the side skirt.

So, now I am on a hunt for a replacement door in Monaco Blue.

Does anyone have any connections with freight companies that can ship large parts like doors from the US to Canada?
All the junk yards I contacted so far, do not want to ship across the border and the pickings are slim around here.

I went to a couple of places to get an estimate. If it comes back very high, I may consider going through insurance, otherwise, I'll replace the door myself and get a body shop to fix the quarter panel and paint blend the side.

I wish I was spending this money on M Sport bumpers instead.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #207
eljay
Colonel
Rep

So, I finally found a bit of time to replace the dead windshield washer pump.
It was not too difficult and there are some videos on YT, so this is not a full DIY, but some tips perhaps not evident "out there".

Tools:
- flashlight
- 8mm socket (fender liner screws)
- 10mm socket (plastic fender liner nuts)
- T30 torx (plastic liner/skirt bolt)
- 17mm socket (wheel bolts)
- thin screwdriver or hex bit (push pin clips on the fender liner)

The process goes like this:
- Jack up the front right corner and remove the wheel
(jacking up tip: Any operation under the car is best done with all 4 corners on jackstands or lift. But for a quick light duty DIY like this, lift the car using the rear right jacking point until the whole right side lifts, place jack stand under the front right jacking point and lower the car onto that jack stand while leaving the rear jack still supporting the weight)
- Remove the rearward wheel well/fender liner. You will need to remove the small cover at the bottom by the thrust arm too. As well, remove one screw at the top of the forward liner by the headlight. It will make it easier to move out the washer reservoir.
- Unclip the feeder tube from the holders in the wheel well
- Unclip the two wiring harness/hose clips from the reservoir
- Unbolt 10mm bolt holding the washer reservoir
- Pull and swing the reservoir forward. You only need to remove it far enough to see the pumps on the side
- Clean the area under the pumps to prevent debris from falling into the reservoir once you remove the pump
- You may have up to three pumps depending on the equipment options:
-- front pump is for headlight washers
-- middle is for front windshield
-- rear is for hatch window
- rotate the pump to be removed, so that the nipple with the hose faces straight out
- Slowly tilt the top of the pump out until it slides from underneath that little bit holding it down on the left side
- Unclip the harness connector and tuck aside
- If you have fluid in the reservoir, now is a good time to put a container/bucket under the area to catch the fluid.
- Now, you can either tilt the pump until the grooves on the sides don't hold it down or gently spread the grooves and pry up the pump, so it goes straight up. Be careful here not to break the nozzle tip or the debris filter on the inside of the reservoir. See the attached pictures for the parts.
Mine came straight up with the pump, so I removed them and replaced them back into the reservoir
- Remove the hose from the pump. It just slides off. Slide it onto the new pump.
- Position the new pump with the nozzle tip inside the rubber sealing grommet
- Push into the space through the side grooves, then slide down until the top of the pump slides under the little retaining piece on the reservoir. Ensure a good seal at the bottom!
- Before you reinstall everything, fill the reservoir to at least the pump height and check for leaks! Mine leaked a bit until I pushed the pump down properly and rotated the nipple back into place.
- Go inside the car and check the operation. If all works, you're ready for re-assembly.
- Reinstall the reservoir by sliding it back into place. There's a locating bracket in the back on the bottom half. Once you get that one in, it slides into place and you can confirm as you will be able to easily replace that 10mm bolt.
- Clip back the harness and tubes into their guides
- Replace the wheel well liner and bottom cover
- Install the wheel
- Lower the car
- Torque the wheel bolts
- Go a for a drive and spray your windshield and giggle like a little girl while doing so.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
4 Doors1169.00
Buug95917910.00
      10-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #208
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

honestly I found it easier to just pull the fender. it's only like 5 bolts maybe, and they're all accessible.

but I was tracking down a leak,
1" OD, I think,reinforced vinyl hose will slip tight inside the remains of the plastic corrugated fill hose and seal up with a zip tie.
for when it starts to leak.
I refused to give the $50 for that stupid fill hose.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2020, 06:47 PM   #209
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
honestly I found it easier to just pull the fender. it's only like 5 bolts maybe, and they're all accessible.

but I was tracking down a leak,
1" OD, I think,reinforced vinyl hose will slip tight inside the remains of the plastic corrugated fill hose and seal up with a zip tie.
for when it starts to leak.
I refused to give the $50 for that stupid fill hose.
Well, I can see how removing fender would give direct access to the reservoir and pumps, but I'd still need to remove at least half the screws to pull back the fender liner, so I'm not sure it would save time. Plus then my OCD would kick in and I would spend half a day re-aligning the fender to have perfect gaps everywhere and someone down the road would be giving me hard time about hidden damage because the fender screws were touched. ha! The last point is moot in my case as I move on to repair the rear damage.

On that note, Monaco Blue rear door in very good condition secured! $750. Ouch

I will be selling a staggered set of 313M to fund this repair. Oh and I have a black E91 cargo cover for sale in the classifieds in case anyone is searching for one.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #210
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Sooo, this weekend, I dove into replacing the starter, and installing some goodies along the way (3SIM, Turner intake boot, Euro air intake box). The objective was to finish on Sunday evening, so my wife can drive to work in the morning. I got the airbox in and then started on soark plug replacement while I had the cowl and cover off.
Well, the first plug had threads that were a bit wet, second was fine, third had some oil in the plug well and fourth had even more oil. So, I only replaced the first two after realizing I need to repalce the valve cover and spark plug tube gaskets.
So much for what looked to be a happy week-end.

It doesn't makes sense to put the cowl etc back in, I guess, so I'll call the dealer in the morning and hope they have these in stock and pay the crazy MSRP, so I can get the car back together.
Besides the VCG, is there something else to replace?
I see that some kits contain spark plug tube sleeves, eccentric shaft seals and valvetronic valve seal. Should I replace those too? Is OEM needed for those as well or can I get away with good aftermarket seals? I will be getting a genuine BMW VCG for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #211
M-technik-3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
FCP Euro can't get them to you 2 day delivery?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #212
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
FCP Euro can't get them to you 2 day delivery?
I'm in Canada, so I doubt it.
The local dealer's prices are actually higher than MSRP on bmw.ca. I really hate that.
But after shipping and duties, it's only $15 more than FCP.
The kicker is that they have everything in this FCP kit except the spark plug tube sleeves. Those would take 2 days from Ontario and we have a holiday on Wednesday, so Thursday at the earliest. Lovely.
Do those sleeves need to be absolutely replaced? I don't want to do this job twice.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #213
M-technik-3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
I don't know O have not done my VC gasket yet as it's not leaking.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #214
CDirks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
I'm in Canada, so I doubt it.
The local dealer's prices are actually higher than MSRP on bmw.ca. I really hate that.
But after shipping and duties, it's only $15 more than FCP.
The kicker is that they have everything in this FCP kit except the spark plug tube sleeves. Those would take 2 days from Ontario and we have a holiday on Wednesday, so Thursday at the earliest. Lovely.
Do those sleeves need to be absolutely replaced? I don't want to do this job twice.
You can probably get away with not replacing them, but they are in the kit for a reason. That being said, they're accessible with the valve cover on. You would only need to remove the coils.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #215
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirks View Post
You can probably get away with not replacing them, but they are in the kit for a reason. That being said, they're accessible with the valve cover on. You would only need to remove the coils.
Thanks. I managed to get one from the dealer, o I have a spare in case I mess one up. I hope I can re-use them. I've read in one DIY a tip to raise the valve cover and then set it back down and that apparently pushes them out a bit, so they can be grabbed and pulled out by hand without messing with pliers and picks and scratching the tubes.

OK, it's valve cover time tonight! Wish me luck!

I hope to have a nice update after this.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 02:12 AM   #216
kiwie91
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 07 E91 325i, 08 e82 135i

Hello,

Im thinking of getting myself an e91. Its a 2008 325i m sport. Has 99,000miles. Its a decent spec, has half alcantara seats, sunroof, roofracks, paddleshift etc. And the price is good too. Will have enough money left for repairs/maintenance.

Thoughts on doing this?
Should i buy it?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:52 AM   #217
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwie91 View Post
Hello,

Im thinking of getting myself an e91. Its a 2008 325i m sport. Has 99,000miles. Its a decent spec, has half alcantara seats, sunroof, roofracks, paddleshift etc. And the price is good too. Will have enough money left for repairs/maintenance.

Thoughts on doing this?
Should i buy it?
Yes.
Next question, please.

But seriously, it sounds nice, but like with any used car, I would pay for a pre-purchase inspection at a knowledgeable shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #218
kiwie91
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 07 E91 325i, 08 e82 135i

Quote:
Yes.
Next question, please.

But seriously, it sounds nice, but like with any used car, I would pay for a pre-purchase inspection at a knowledgeable shop.
Thanks for the reply! Yes im planning on getting a pre-purchase inspection done to know what im getting myself into. I can get the car for about $4600USD.

My alternative is another 325i ms port e91. But with 50,000miles and full service histry but will be a stretch for my budget. Might be able to stretch far enough.

Which one do i go for?
Elias
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 03:14 PM   #219
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwie91 View Post
Thanks for the reply! Yes im planning on getting a pre-purchase inspection done to know what im getting myself into. I can get the car for about $4600USD.

My alternative is another 325i ms port e91. But with 50,000miles and full service histry but will be a stretch for my budget. Might be able to stretch far enough.

Which one do i go for?
Elias
Lower mileage is nicer as some maintenance items may be pushed for later. At 99k miles, you'd be replacing some things soon if they were not done.
I'd recommend you take a look at this guide to decide:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1517476
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #220
eljay
Colonel
Rep

Alright, almost all buttoned up. Valve cover is back on, new spark plugs in.
Do I need to use INPA to reset the Valvetronic motor or is cycling the ignition sufficient/the same thing?
Appreciate 0