E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > A/C Problem: Blend Door Issue after Blower Motor Recall

05-31-2019, 10:51 AM   #1
E93madness
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i Convertible E93

A/C Problem: Blend Door Issue after Blower Motor Recall

Hey everyone, this is my first post. Pretty cool community, thanks for having me.

I have a 2011 E93 328i and my local mechanic found out that my blend door is only opening at 68%. My mechanic states this is the reason as to why my vehicle isn't recirculating cold air because it keeps bringing in fresh *hot* air.

My mechanic checked many sensors like evap temperatures and ensured there's enough refrigerant serviced for optimal air conditioning...but the blend door motor actuator/stepper (not sure of its name) is being read at 68%.

Could this perhaps be a problem arising from the service work for the blower motor recall?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by E93madness; 05-31-2019 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 04:58 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93madness View Post
...2011 E93 328i and my local mechanic found out that my blend door is only opening at 68%. My mechanic states this is the reason as to why my vehicle isn't recirculating cold air because it keeps bringing in fresh *hot* air. [Actually, the air cooled by the A/C Evaporator coil may be directed through the heater core and heated]. My mechanic checked many sensors like evap temperatures and ensured there's enough refrigerant serviced for optimal air conditioning...but the blend door motor actuator/stepper (not sure of its name) is being read at 68%. Could this perhaps be a problem arising from the service work for the blower motor recall?
Welcome to the Forum!

If the Climate Control System worked as it should the day you took it in for Blower Harness Recall, and it has NOT worked correctly since you picked it up, there is a reasonable chance something done in the recall procedure affected the Climate Control.

However, to have any "high confidence" that is NOT a coincidence, we need MORE information. Although the system can be easily diagnosed with INPA or ISTA to see which Flap Motors are NOT functioning (there are Eight of them ;-), you can also do a bit of diagnosis just on your own if you understand the system, listening for the "whir" of flap motor & "clunk" of flap within 30 seconds of changing settings on control panel. Here is the TIS circuit diagram for A/C Functions. Notice the 8 Flap Motors on the Right Side of the diagram:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...bution/ubKLpfo

The 8 Flap Motors are controlled by the IHKA Module (A11a) via the "LIN_BUS" and the 8 motors are wired in "Series" from Left to Right on the diagram, so that if a wire or connector is loose at some point, ANYTHING "downstream" (or to the right in the diagram) becomes inoperative. Follow the Yellow wire from Pin #1 of IHKA Connector X01198 to Pin #2 of Connector 4706 at the Defroster Flap Motor (M35a). The LIN_BUS then continues as the Yellow/Black wire to the Recirculation Flap Motor (M111), and so on until the Yellow/Brown LIN_BUS wire reaches the "end of the line", the Footwell Flap Motor (M31).

You can click on any BLUE Component ID#, such as "M38" and see the "Installation Location" -- such as this for M38, or the second link for Recirculation Flap, M111:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e93-328i-cab/S0UH5vR
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...cab/1VncduoHIw

Note how close to the Blower M111 and its connector, X4704 are. I would start by testing Defrost Flap Function, by operating the Defrost Manual Button on the right side of the A/C Control Panel. Then test function of the Recirculation Flap Motor, then the Ventilation Flap Motor, and so on.

I attach a pdf that provides for the specific steps taken by the Dealer in performing the recall, beginning at page 6 of the 18-page pdf.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RCRIT-17V676-0612 Blower.pdf (3.14 MB, 1066 views)
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
E93madness
Rep

Hi George,

Thank you for welcoming me and wow thank you for your reply. I sincerely appreciate it!

Update: I took it to my local BMW dealership for service on the recall. I told them it wasn't blowing cold air after the 17V676 recall. They took the time to investigate if the recall had anything to do with my vehicle's inability to blow super cold air and they concluded this:

"MISC CHECK WIRING ON BLOWER MOTOR - OK. THE A/C SYSTEM IS LOW ON REFRIGERANT"

I find it a little odd they stated it was low on refrigerant because my mechanic checked and added a little more to the system and said the refrigerant levels are OK.

My mechanic did the following:

Calibrated the A/C system with his computer, check for any noises at all (no clicking noise at all, during/changing settings on the A/C) added more refrigerant (maybe not enough)
Ensured that the front and rear defrosters are OK, heater was working OK, auto and re-circulation modes are OK, fan speeds, evap sensor reading was OK (39 F) and I think he said the vent temp readings were like 51 F.

But one thing he noted was the computer said the blender motor flap or whatever was at 68%.

Either he didn't really add enough refrigerant or I need a look from an indy shop for A/C work to fix this blend door whatever.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 10:54 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93madness View Post
...I find it a little odd they stated it was low on refrigerant because my mechanic checked and added a little more to the system and said the refrigerant levels are OK. My mechanic did the following: ...evap sensor reading was OK (39 F) and I think he said the vent temp readings were like 51 F. But one thing he noted was the computer said the blender motor flap or whatever was at 68%. Either he didn't really add enough refrigerant or I need a look from an indy shop for A/C work to fix this blend door whatever.
There is a temperature sensor ON the Evaporator Coil, and if the signal that sends to the IHKA Module (Climate Control Module) shows 39F, then the refrigeration circuit is working adequately to give you cold air out of the dash vents, AS LONG AS the air cooled by the A/C Evaporator (cooling) coil is NOT run through the heater core and comes out of the vents only slightly cool.

The concept you need to understand is that ALL air that the Blower Motor sends into the Climate Control System Ducts FIRST passes through the Evaporator and is cooled and "De-humidified" (if compressor is pumping). When BOTH thermostats on either side of the control panel are set to 60F or "MAX" button on Left thermostat is pressed, the "Blend Flaps" or Left & Right "Mixed Air Flaps" direct the cooled air from the Evaporator cooling coil directly OUT the vents, WITHOUT passing through the heater core.

I don't know of any air flow diagram online, so I'll just create a VERY ROUGH diagram here:
Cool Air Out
Blower > Evaporator Coil > Mixed Air Flaps, R/L /\ > Heater Coil > Warm/Hot air Out

The purpose of the TWO Blend Flaps is to regulate air discharge temperature (as it exits the vents) by directing (1) NONE, (2) Some, or (3) ALL of the air coming from the Evaporator through the Heater core. If one (or both) of your "Blend Flaps" is at the 68% position, then MOST of the cold air is passing through the heater core, at least on that side (independent thermostats, Left & Right).

Here are two TIS descriptions of IHKA system Functions:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ioning/25K67rA
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ioning/1u1fNGa

Summary:
The reason the air coming out of the vents is NOT cool enough is that ONE or more of the 8 flap motors is NOT functioning properly, probably due to a tech disconnecting something during the Blower Harness Recall. If you can follow all this and test it yourself, fine. If NOT then take it to an Indy shop with INPA or ISTA and have them test EACH of the 8 Flap Position Motors. In INPA, the screen to monitor the position of ALL 8 Flaps is "IHKA Module > F5, Status > F4, Flap Positions (KlappenPositionen).

That allows a tech who knows how to use that screen to see EACH flap motor change position, or NOT, when control positions are changed on the A/C control Panel, and quickly identify at what point in the "Series Chain" (described in post above) there is a Motor Fault, likely due to a loose wire/connector.

Whatever you do, do NOT throw parts at it, get it PROPERLY DIAGNOSED.

I will attach some sample INPA screens to the NEXT post so as NOT to mess up the margins of this post.

George
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2019, 11:03 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached is an INPA screen showing Flap Positions (Klappenpositionen). This screen was copied
on a January day when outside temp was 7C, and heat was set near High (84F), so BOTH
the Left & Right Mixed Air Flaps are reading "84%" or Most ALL the air going through the Heater Core.

Mischluft links = LEFT Mixed Air Flap
Mischluft rechts = RIGHT Mixed Air Flap

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
E93madness
Rep

Hi George,

I sincerely appreciate your time and help with this matter, I seriously do. Thank you for giving me a good overview of the air conditioning system and providing me with your summary of my issue to the best of your knowledge.

I have a feeling that my BMW dealership actually did have one of their techs disconnect or screw up something during the recall installation and they don't want to admit it. All they said was that the installation of the recall was fine and that my issue was not related to the recall.

Judging from what you're saying and by what the diagnostic computer system reported for the blend door motor at 68%, I will definitely just take it to an indy shop and have them fix the door(s). I live in Florida so it's debilitatingly hot and it's only going to get worse.

I will definitely keep in mind to ask the prospective indy shop if they have either the INPA or ISTA software program. I will keep this thread updated to hopefully help others who might be in my situation!

Last edited by E93madness; 06-03-2019 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Impressive explanation of the IHKA system, George.
I saw this thread because I have had a similar issue on my 2006 E90 330i since I own it. The driver's side blows only hot air and passenger's side only cold air, so for now the heater hose has been disconnected in order to have at least air conditioner (I live in a very hot area).

But of course I am not able to regulate the temp. Independently of setting the temp on 16 degrees or 25 degrees (Celsius), it always blows cold air at the lowest level. And sometimes, at night, I need hot air. So, I read errors with INPA and got this ones:

"9C48 mixed air flap left"
"9C4C footwell flap"
"9C4E striation flap"

Previous owner apparently did something inside the dashboard because when I bought the car, it made a noise coming from the inside and the cause were two missing bolts, I think that are two bolts that hold the IHKA module (But not sure). I think that they might have left something disconnected or connected in the wrong way.

So, following this thread with this awesome explanation, cheked the flaps with INPA. Three of them, the ones that generates error, seems to be disconnected. Don't show movement, just say "!255". And the air circulation flap only goes from 0 to 68. Here is a picture of the INPA test:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fvg...ew?usp=sharing

I will try to understand the electrical diagrams, but maybe you have an opinion about it. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Nando_e90; 06-19-2019 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:55 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cala View Post
...2006 E90 330i...The driver's side blows only hot air and passenger's side only cold air...
So, I read errors with INPA and got this ones:
"9C48 mixed air flap left"
"9C4C footwell flap"
"9C4E striation flap"

cheked the flaps with INPA. Three of them, the ones that generates error, seems to be disconnected. Doesn't show movement, just say "!255". And the air circulation flap only goes from 0 to 68. Here is a picture of the INPA test:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fvg...ew?usp=sharing
If those three Fault Codes are the ONLY Fault Codes that are in IHKA Module Fault Memory, then there is a HIGH likelihood there is an interruption in the LIN BUS wires (Green wires) that connect the 8 flap motors and provide a coded signal to each motor to open or close the flaps based upon IHKA control panel settings.

Here's the TIS circuit diagram for Heating & A/C Functions for your 2006 330i E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...bution/hwh7J2T

Note that the Green LIN BUS wires that run from Pin #1 of Connector X01198 at the IHKA (A/C) Module to the Defrost Flap Motor (M35a), then to the Recirculation Flap Motor (M111) and so on until it ends at the Footwell Flap Motor (M31) are in SERIES which means that if there is a disconnection or interruption in the Green wires at ANY point, the Flap Motors "downstream" of that disconnection will NOT receive any signal and will NEVER move. So the signal that moves the flap motors flows from Left to Right in the diagram, and if there is a disconnection at any point, motors to the Right of that disconnection will NOT receive signals and will NOT operate.

Note that the three Flap Motors which are giving Fault Codes are the THREE (3) at the RIGHT-END of the Series chain: (M4729) Front Mixing (Stratification) Flap Motor; Mixed Air Flap Motor, LEFT (M153); and finally, Footwell Flap Motor (M31).

Since the signal travels Left to Right, there is a fault/interruption in the Green wires somewhere to the Left (in the schematic) of M4729 Front Mixing (Stratification) Flap Motor. So first thing to check, using INPA Flap Positions screen you attached, is whether M154, Right Mixing Flap Motor, changes position when you move the RIGHT Thermostat from full cold to full hot. Test with engine running, the "Auto" button pressed and lit for Automatic operation, and the Snowflake button on right side of panel pressed and lit (Compressor Valve active).

As you see in the screen you attached, the Right Mixed Air Flap is shown in the FULL COLD position, or NO air being directed through the Heater Core, while the Left Mixed Air Flap is shown in the FULL HOT position with all air being directed through the Heater Core.

If the Climate Control has ALWAYS malfunctioned in the SAME way since you've owned the car, then we CAN'T be sure what works as it should, and what does NOT. It appears that the "refrigeration" system is functioning properly with compressor valve working, compressor pumping R-134a and the Evaporator Coil cooling, at least below 10C, sufficiently to provide SOME cool air, as long as it doesn't then go to a HOT heater core due to inoperative Flap Motors.

So I would suggest testing EACH Flap Motor's Function, testing from Left-to-Right in the schematic, starting with Defrost and ending with Footwell, with engine running and Climate Control in Auto mode as above, as you monitor Flap Positions in INPA:
1) Defrost: Press Defrost button on top-Right of IHKA Control Panel, and watch for change in the bar graph & % readout, as well as air flow to the windscreen;
2) Recirculation: Press Recirculation buttons (3) under the display and watch for changes in "Air Circulation" bar graph & % readout; you should hear flap movement in glovebox area; "A" is for AUC or intermittent outside air when AUC determines NOT polluted by vehicle exhaust, etc. 68% may be the max position for that bar graph;
3) Ventilation Flap Motor -- I've forgotten what that does, or which button(s) cause change in that flap position; perhaps center button on left, fascia air delivery or top button on left, windscreen? You can test that for us and let us know.
4) Rear (Fond) Compartment Mixing Flap Motor: See the knurled knob or "thumbwheel" at rear air vent; that should operate similarly to thumbwheel on center of dash (Front Mixing Flap Motor) and you should see a change in the bar graph when rotating full cold or full hot;
5) Mixed Air Flap Motor, Right: change Right Thermostat position full cold to full hot & observe bar graph & % readout;
6) Front Mixing Flap Motor: as per (4) above;
7) Mixed Air Flap Motor, Left: Left Thermostat per (5) above;
8) Footwell Flap Motor: SHOULD change when press lower button on left side of control panel for footwell air delivery.

Someone VERY experienced in INPA terminology could probably explain the three "!255" entries. I have NO IDEA if that means data exceeds field width (as in 255 characters max in a database ;-), whether the motor needs to be calibrated or taught its position (7 of 8 motors are same, and must be taught which position they occupy if replaced), etc.

If you check those things out & get back to us we can suggest next steps.

George
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 11:42 PM   #9
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
If those three Fault Codes are the ONLY Fault Codes that are in IHKA Module Fault Memory, then there is a HIGH likelihood there is an interruption in the LIN BUS wires (Green wires) that connect the 8 flap motors and provide a coded signal to each motor to open or close the flaps based upon IHKA control panel settings.

Here's the TIS circuit diagram for Heating & A/C Functions for your 2006 330i E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...bution/hwh7J2T

Note that the Green LIN BUS wires that run from Pin #1 of Connector X01198 at the IHKA (A/C) Module to the Defrost Flap Motor (M35a), then to the Recirculation Flap Motor (M111) and so on until it ends at the Footwell Flap Motor (M31) are in SERIES which means that if there is a disconnection or interruption in the Green wires at ANY point, the Flap Motors "downstream" of that disconnection will NOT receive any signal and will NEVER move. So the signal that moves the flap motors flows from Left to Right in the diagram, and if there is a disconnection at any point, motors to the Right of that disconnection will NOT receive signals and will NOT operate.

Note that the three Flap Motors which are giving Fault Codes are the THREE (3) at the RIGHT-END of the Series chain: (M4729) Front Mixing (Stratification) Flap Motor; Mixed Air Flap Motor, LEFT (M153); and finally, Footwell Flap Motor (M31).

Since the signal travels Left to Right, there is a fault/interruption in the Green wires somewhere to the Left (in the schematic) of M4729 Front Mixing (Stratification) Flap Motor. So first thing to check, using INPA Flap Positions screen you attached, is whether M154, Right Mixing Flap Motor, changes position when you move the RIGHT Thermostat from full cold to full hot. Test with engine running, the "Auto" button pressed and lit for Automatic operation, and the Snowflake button on right side of panel pressed and lit (Compressor Valve active).

As you see in the screen you attached, the Right Mixed Air Flap is shown in the FULL COLD position, or NO air being directed through the Heater Core, while the Left Mixed Air Flap is shown in the FULL HOT position with all air being directed through the Heater Core.

If the Climate Control has ALWAYS malfunctioned in the SAME way since you've owned the car, then we CAN'T be sure what works as it should, and what does NOT. It appears that the "refrigeration" system is functioning properly with compressor valve working, compressor pumping R-134a and the Evaporator Coil cooling, at least below 10C, sufficiently to provide SOME cool air, as long as it doesn't then go to a HOT heater core due to inoperative Flap Motors.

So I would suggest testing EACH Flap Motor's Function, testing from Left-to-Right in the schematic, starting with Defrost and ending with Footwell, with engine running and Climate Control in Auto mode as above, as you monitor Flap Positions in INPA:
1) Defrost: Press Defrost button on top-Right of IHKA Control Panel, and watch for change in the bar graph & % readout, as well as air flow to the windscreen;
2) Recirculation: Press Recirculation buttons (3) under the display and watch for changes in "Air Circulation" bar graph & % readout; you should hear flap movement in glovebox area; "A" is for AUC or intermittent outside air when AUC determines NOT polluted by vehicle exhaust, etc. 68% may be the max position for that bar graph;
3) Ventilation Flap Motor -- I've forgotten what that does, or which button(s) cause change in that flap position; perhaps center button on left, fascia air delivery or top button on left, windscreen? You can test that for us and let us know.
4) Rear (Fond) Compartment Mixing Flap Motor: See the knurled knob or "thumbwheel" at rear air vent; that should operate similarly to thumbwheel on center of dash (Front Mixing Flap Motor) and you should see a change in the bar graph when rotating full cold or full hot;
5) Mixed Air Flap Motor, Right: change Right Thermostat position full cold to full hot & observe bar graph & % readout;
6) Front Mixing Flap Motor: as per (4) above;
7) Mixed Air Flap Motor, Left: Left Thermostat per (5) above;
8) Footwell Flap Motor: SHOULD change when press lower button on left side of control panel for footwell air delivery.

Someone VERY experienced in INPA terminology could probably explain the three "!255" entries. I have NO IDEA if that means data exceeds field width (as in 255 characters max in a database ;-), whether the motor needs to be calibrated or taught its position (7 of 8 motors are same, and must be taught which position they occupy if replaced), etc.

If you check those things out & get back to us we can suggest next steps.

George

Thank you for your time and kindness, George. I really appreciate it very much.

I just tested the flaps with INPA. Results are as following.

ALL IN AUTO MODE:

1) Defrost: when upper right button pressed, defrost bar works well, from 0 to 100. Other bars also react: "air circulation flap" and "ventilation flap" go from 100 to 0, and "fond rear flap" goes from 26 to 100.

2) Air circulation: (green light being off) pressing the button (green light on): bar goes from 100 to 68. Others flaps reacting: NONE

3)Ventilation flap: I think it has to do with the one you said. The bar only reacts when pressing upper or lower left button. If I press either one of the two, "ventilation flap" goes from 0 to 100. If I just press the one in the center of the left side (the one you said), nothing happens.

4)Rear Fond Flap. Starting with the rear knob being in the cold (blue) side and moving up to the hot (red) side, Fond bar goes from 0 to 26 in INPA. Other bars moving: NONE

5) Mixed air flap motor, right: working fine. Goes to 0 to 100 when shift thermostat from full cold to full hot. No other flaps show movement.

6) Front mixing flap motor: Nothing. If I move the knob from blue to red, the bar does nothing. Neither the others.

7)Mixed air flap motor, left: no response. When shift thermostat from full cold to full hot, nothing happens on that bar. But on other bars, yes. "Air circulation" and "ventilation flaps" go from 100 to 0, while "defrost flap" goes from 0 to 30.

8) Footwell flap motor: no response when pressing lower left button. Other bars moving: "Ventilation flap" goes to 0.

I will try to access the motors that don’t react. I’ve seen that they can be serviced without removing the dashboard. Maybe it is a bad connection issue.

Fernando.

Last edited by Nando_e90; 06-19-2019 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
...I just tested the flaps with INPA. Results are as following. ALL IN AUTO MODE:
5) Mixed air flap motor, right: working fine. Goes to 0 to 100 when shift thermostat from full cold to full hot. No other flaps show movement. [ALL preceding flaps from Left to Right in TIS Schematic up to & including RIGHT Mixed Air Flap Motor work as Flap Position viewed in INPA while pressing/turning appropriate A/C control panel buttons & controls]

6) Front mixing flap motor: Nothing. If I move the knob from blue to red, the bar does nothing. Neither the others.

7)Mixed air flap motor, left: no response. When shift thermostat from full cold to full hot, nothing happens on that bar. But on other bars, yes. "Air circulation" and "ventilation flaps" go from 100 to 0, while "defrost flap" goes from 0 to 30.

8) Footwell flap motor: no response when pressing lower left button. Other bars moving: "Ventilation flap" goes to 0.
Good data Fernando! As you will see comparing to, and confirming the Fault Codes, there is NO movement of any of the three flap motors to the RIGHT of the Right Mixed Air Flap Motor in the TIS schematic. So either ALL three of those motors failed in the same fashion (giving !255 readout) OR there is a single failure in the LIN BUS wiring (Green wires) between the Right Mixed Air Flap Motor (M154 which works) and the Front Mixing Flap Motor (M4729 which does NOT work, NOR anything to its Right in the Schematic).

Statistically, it is highly likely that there is an open circuit in the LIN BUS wires between the following two connectors & locations:

1) Connector X4702 at the WORKING Right Mixed Air Flap Motor (M154); Here are the "Installation Location" and "Connector View" for X4702:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-330i-lim/RCGiHpK
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-lim/CSzyWEQS

2) Connector X4729 on the Opposite side of the Climate Control Unit per this "Installation Location":
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-330i-lim/S0NokqN

I would begin by disconnecting & checking Connector X4702 at the Working Flap Motor, particularly the Green wire at Pin #3 of that connector, to make sure the pin is not bent or broken, and that the #3 metal socket where the Green wire is attached is NOT pushed out of place in the plastic socket -- in other words, that the pin and socket are making proper contact. Do NOT put the glovebox back yet, as you want to do a "continuity test" between this Connector and the NEXT connector, X4729.

I would then disconnect the X4729 socket from the Front Mixing Flap Motor and (1) check to make sure that the metal socket for the Green wire at Pin #2 (coming FROM Pin #3 of X4702) is making good contact with the motor pin; THEN (2) check for CONTINUITY between Pin #3 of X4702 and Pin #2 of X4729. I hope you find continuity there, because I have NO IDEA how/where that wire is routed across the climate control unit, or how you would access it.

Here are the TIS Procedures for accessing those two flap motors; actually the 2nd procedure is for the LEFT mixed air flap motor, but the Front Mixing or Stratification Flap Motor is in the same area:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ntrols/OiTipMH
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ntrols/OeugIsV

George
Appreciate 1
Nando_e90102.00
      06-19-2019, 11:22 PM   #11
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep

Quote:
Good data Fernando! As you will see comparing to, and confirming the Fault Codes, there is NO movement of any of the three flap motors to the RIGHT of the Right Mixed Air Flap Motor in the TIS schematic. So either ALL three of those motors failed in the same fashion (giving !255 readout) OR there is a single failure in the LIN BUS wiring (Green wires) between the Right Mixed Air Flap Motor (M154 which works) and the Front Mixing Flap Motor (M4729 which does NOT work, NOR anything to its Right in the Schematic).

Statistically, it is highly likely that there is an open circuit in the LIN BUS wires between the following two connectors & locations:

1) Connector X4702 at the WORKING Right Mixed Air Flap Motor (M154); Here are the "Installation Location" and "Connector View" for X4702:

2) Connector X4729 on the Opposite side of the Climate Control Unit per this "Installation Location":

I would begin by disconnecting & checking Connector X4702 at the Working Flap Motor, particularly the Green wire at Pin #3 of that connector, to make sure the pin is not bent or broken, and that the #3 metal socket where the Green wire is attached is NOT pushed out of place in the plastic socket -- in other words, that the pin and socket are making proper contact. Do NOT put the glovebox back yet, as you want to do a "continuity test" between this Connector and the NEXT connector, X4729.

I would then disconnect the X4729 socket from the Front Mixing Flap Motor and (1) check to make sure that the metal socket for the Green wire at Pin #2 (coming FROM Pin #3 of X4702) is making good contact with the motor pin; THEN (2) check for CONTINUITY between Pin #3 of X4702 and Pin #2 of X4729. I hope you find continuity there, because I have NO IDEA how/where that wire is routed across the climate control unit, or how you would access it.

Here are the TIS Procedures for accessing those two flap motors; actually the 2nd procedure is for the LEFT mixed air flap motor, but the Front Mixing or Stratification Flap Motor is in the same area:

George
Again, thank you very much for your time, George.

I have understood all the procedure very well and I will perform it tomorrow. I hope that it is a conection issue. I'll let you know the results as soon as I finish.

Fernando.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 05:21 AM   #12
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I was playing with INPA yesterday and my circulation also goes from 68-100 with the push of the recirc button, I thought it was odd too. I performed the calibration but it stayed the same
Appreciate 1
Nando_e90102.00
      06-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #13
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep

Quote:

George
Okay. I just performed the procedure as you said and here are the results. I first checked the X4702 connector for the Right Air Mixing Flap (The working one) and it seems to be in good condition. Images here (sorry for the way I share the images but a don't know how to upload them directly to the forum):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10eP...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MhE...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bQY...ew?usp=sharing

So, went to the left side and cheked the X4729 connector for the Front Mixing Flap and found the problem: Stepper motor is missing. I don't know what happened, but it is obvious that the previous owner did something inside the dashboard and he or the mechanic ruined it. The connector is there. Here are images of the missing motor:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Ss...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wej...ew?usp=sharing

Also, just for the records, I saw that the wires are routed across the a/c unit above the radio. Here are two images:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SA_...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1svI...ew?usp=sharing

So, I will order a stepper motor, install it, and see what happens. I hope that this is the only problem. Thank you very much for the directions, George. I've learned a lot about my car in this process.

PD: found some moisture on the right panel trim. Do you know what could it be?
Here is the image:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b-o...ew?usp=sharing

Thanks again.

Fernando
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #14
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

George
Okay. I just performed the procedure as you said and here are the results. I first checked the X4702 connector for the Right Air Mixing Flap (The working one) and it seems to be in good condition. Images here (sorry for the way I share the images but a don't know how to upload them directly to the forum):

So, went to the left side and cheked the X4729 connector for the Front Mixing Flap and found the problem: Stepper motor is missing. I don't know what happened, but it is obvious that the previous owner did something inside the dashboard and he or the mechanic ruined it. The connector is there. Here are images of the missing motor:

Also, just for the records, I saw that the wires are routed across the a/c unit above the radio. Here are two images:

So, I will order a stepper motor, install it, and see what happens. I hope that this is the only problem. Thank you very much for the directions, George. I've learned a lot about my car in this process.

Here is the image:

Thanks again.

Fernando
Quote:
Quote:

George

Here is the image:

Thanks again.

Fernando
Last picture is oil, ppl manually oil the blower motor, because it is a bushing and not roller bearing. I have the same stain.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #15
Nando_e90
Second Lieutenant
El Salvador
Rep

Ahh ok, thanks for that. So nothig to be worried about.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 03:06 AM   #16
Evergreen24
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

I know this thread is a little old, but I want to see what the resolution was here.

I'm also curious if you had any noise (e.g. whistling) when your blend doors were malfunctioning.

I had my evap core replaced a while back and since then, when it's cold out, there is a whistling that makes me think a blend door is leaking. The noise only occurs with full heat (e.g. it's 20 degrees outside and temp is set to 70. If it's 65 degrees outside and temp is set to 70, it doesn't whistle), and it occurs regardless of which vents are in use. There is no whistle when calling for full A/C.

Also, after that evap core replacement my a/c doesn't feel as cold as it did before, which is just backwards. But also could just be in my head. I'm convinced someone screwed something up along the way.

Do you guys think this sounds like a blend door issue, or just a typical failing blower motor?

Also, don't go to Momentum BMW in Houston--they will mess up your stuff.

Last edited by Evergreen24; 02-02-2020 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 01:11 PM   #17
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
hi guys looks like im having the same mystery issue too, ac takes a minute to start blowing cold air, works fine while driving, but once i stop it gets humid and hot, start driving and get cold air again.

ive had blower motor recall handled as well as paying for ac service and troubleshoot, of course they wanted me to replace ccompressor, which works lol

so looking for help figuring this out, summer is coming fast in socal 100 days already
Appreciate 0