E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY Powered seat retrofit (WIP)

10-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #133
glennwa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i base 6-speed manual

Folks - looks like this thread is dead. Unfortunately I'm stuck!

I have both seats working for directional adjustment. What doesn't work on either seat are the adjustable bolsters and the lumbar support.

I noticed my old seat has a blue lead going to pin 1. Anyone know what this is, and should I worry that the new seat doesn't have a female pin for it?

It also looks like the NEW seat is expecting a wire on pin 7, which looks like red and black? I didn't run a wire to this lead, which may be my problem. Anyone know what this lead is for?

Thanks
-Glenn

Last edited by glennwa; 10-26-2012 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #134
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Make sure of the Grounds

When I swapped my seats -- the lumbar and bolsters didn't work -- but everything else did. I found the ground for these functions (on the seat side) was different than the rest of the seat. My seat side connector had 2 brown ground wires going to the connector -- but the car side connector had on one brown ground wire coming in. I shorted the two brown wires on the seat side and this got everything working.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #135
glennwa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i base 6-speed manual

Thanks, Andy_06xi. I actually caught that and shorted them as well.

I think there is another wire though I need to run. I guess I will just take a chance and try to match up the colors...

Thanks
-Glenn
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #136
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You need power too

I recall needing to hook up power to the lumbar/seat bolsters. It was a while ago -- so I can't be sure of the color for that -- but I remember I just hooked up the incoming power to it. I had expected that -- so I was surprised when it didn't work. It took me a while to figure out that the ground wire needed to be shorted as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #137
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No new wires on the 'car side' connector needed

One more thing -- I didn't need to modify the 'car side' wiring at all. Just short existing power and ground signals appropriately in the seat side wiring.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #138
dj_b4l
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 & E60

hi guys i went from se electric memory seats to sports memory electric seats

they have a rocker switch at the front i think this is for the bolster width

this isnt functioning at the moment as i ididnt have this on my previous seats do you think i need to code something to the VO

or do i need to short some wires?

also guys i dont know if my seats are heated or not is there a easy way to check
i know that in the seat ecu i have plugs that go all the way across from left to right without any gaps or room missed out

so i assume they must have

my car doesnt have heated seats to start with is it alot of work to get this function working once someone can help me to confirm if they are heated or not

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #139
dj_b4l
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 & E60

hi guys update i coded all the relevant codes but the bolsters still dont move i studied the wiring diagram and have pin 7 and 13 not connected to anything

is it ok to short these to power and ground on the other pins on the seat plug

i know it will power the bolster up but as in will it be ok to run off same fuse thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 05:51 PM   #140
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_b4l
hi guys update i coded all the relevant codes but the bolsters still dont move i studied the wiring diagram and have pin 7 and 13 not connected to anything

is it ok to short these to power and ground on the other pins on the seat plug

i know it will power the bolster up but as in will it be ok to run off same fuse thanks
Yes, just connect them on the powered wires and this will work.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #141
halw540
Registered
Rep
Drives: custom

E9x custom seat application

Hope I am not out of line with this related question given the thread history.

I have a set of power seats out of a '07 E9x going into a custom application. The passenger's side works fine with just +12 volts and ground wired per this thread. The drivers seat will adjust (front/rear, tilt, height) as long as I keep changing settings after power is applied. However the seat stops adjusting if power is left on for maybe 15 seconds if no adjustments are made. Remove power, wait a couple of minutes and it will adjust with the same results as above. The seat has memory and heated bottom/back that I have no interest in getting functional.

I have swapped out both the seat switch assembly and seat controller getting the same results.

The driver's incoming connector is poputated, and I have wired, as follows:
Pin
2) K_can_H I have not wired
3) K_can_L I have not wired
4) +12 volts wired
8) ground wired
14) thru 19) I have not wired

Obviously a great deal of research went into this thread. Perhaps what I am experiencing makes sense to someone. Help would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Hal
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #142
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halw540
Hope I am not out of line with this related question given the thread history.

I have a set of power seats out of a '07 E9x going into a custom application. The passenger's side works fine with just +12 volts and ground wired per this thread. The drivers seat will adjust (front/rear, tilt, height) as long as I keep changing settings after power is applied. However the seat stops adjusting if power is left on for maybe 15 seconds if no adjustments are made. Remove power, wait a couple of minutes and it will adjust with the same results as above. The seat has memory and heated bottom/back that I have no interest in getting functional.

I have swapped out both the seat switch assembly and seat controller getting the same results.

The driver's incoming connector is poputated, and I have wired, as follows:
Pin
2) K_can_H I have not wired
3) K_can_L I have not wired
4) +12 volts wired
8) ground wired
14) thru 19) I have not wired

Obviously a great deal of research went into this thread. Perhaps what I am experiencing makes sense to someone. Help would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Hal
You must connect the driver seat on the kcan. We all got the same problem and fix.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #143
halw540
Registered
Rep

Does that mean I am dead in the water for a custom application that does not have a K_can source? Thanks in advance, Hal
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #144
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Does that mean I am dead in the water for a custom application that does not have a K_can source? Thanks in advance, Hal
I think so.

Your only solution is to rebuild the wiring harness and not using the driver seat position module.

I have an extra passenger seat module if you need it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #145
halw540
Registered
Rep

How much do you want for it as I do not mind rebuilding the cable?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #146
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
How much do you want for it as I do not mind rebuilding the cable?
The module is for the heat control but you will still have to build a harness.

Send me a fair offer if you want it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #147
halw540
Registered
Rep

Just looked at passenger seat again - more fun than I am willing to get into. Since the heated seat pair are in very good condition I will just sell them. Thanks again for help, Hal
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #148
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by halw540 View Post
Just looked at passenger seat again - more fun than I am willing to get into. Since the heated seat pair are in very good condition I will just sell them. Thanks again for help, Hal
You don't need a new harness....just get some speaker cable. Connect one end into your cars seat harness (following the slots for kcan wires) and the other end taps into an existing kcan wire in your car. As simple as tapping into power or ground.

It took me a while to fully understand all the connections I need but once I figured it out, it was pretty easy. Here's a pic of my current swapped interior

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #149
carlosalbertogui
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw E91 facelifted by me

Bmw e91 from 2008

I am moving from manual HEATED non-sport seats to
Manual HEATED sport seats with " bolster width" Backrest width adjustment
how can i connect bolster width to work ??
what pins power bolster ???
at this moment heating works very well bolster not working att all
best regards
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #150
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Great thread. Seriously, I read it twice to make sure I understood most of it.
I am yet to read all the attachments in the first post.
So far I am planning to install sports memory seats with heating.
I have few questions;
1- What is seat side and car side? In Uk, we use driver side (O/S) and passenger side (N/S). So what are these seat and car sides?
2- What if you do not have heating? I guess I've to read heating seat retrofit to find out where to direct the +ve and -ve wires in fuse box and how?
3- I will be connecting K-Can of driver side seat. And on passenger side, I need to connect PWD (first blue / white wire) of passenger side to junction box?
4- What connector is this?

And I hope somebody will answer these before I start experimenting this.

(P.S: I am moving from ordinary SE seats to Sports heated electrical seats with memory.)
      04-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #151
Ph0zenstone
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e X-Drive

1. Seat side and car side just refers to the male/female sides of the harness. Seat side is the big yellow harness underneath your seat. Car side is the black plug coming from your car underneath the carpet.

2. If no heat then no need to add power wires into those slots on the harness
3. Iirc the kcan wires are green and orange/green. But it may differ from which location I guess.
4. The white wire is not used. You may leave it unplugged.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #152
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
1. Seat side and car side just refers to the male/female sides of the harness. Seat side is the big yellow harness underneath your seat. Car side is the black plug coming from your car underneath the carpet.
Ah, thanks that make sense now.

Quote:
2. If no heat then no need to add power wires into those slots on the harness
Actually I want to retrofit heating now especially if its in the seats. I don't have climate control but I do have aircon with rotatory dials. Part number: 64116960860 on this link.
has anybody retrofitted on this?

Quote:
3. Iirc the kcan wires are green and orange/green. But it may differ from which location I guess.
Yes, that is present on my driver seat and I will be connecting it. It needs to be connected only on the driver seat. (SEAT MODULE)
My question is that on passenger side there is blue/white wire is position 1, and that needs to run to junction box. Is that correct? As on passenger side, I have SEAT HEATING MODULE.
What about wire in position 5 which is green / red? According to earlier posting (#51) it is ignition plus and it should connect to terminal 15.
My question is what is terminal 15?
For reference, I'm uploading my passenger side seat harness (seat side)

Quote:
4. The white wire is not used. You may leave it unplugged.
Great. I was getting worried and thought these seats were not compatible with my car. Does anybody know what is it?

Last edited by makkan00; 04-07-2013 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #153
sfin
Rep
Drives: e92 320d

Excellent Thread I hope it's still active and someone can lend a few pointers during this build.

I have an e92 with standard cloths seats and swapping them out for the
M-Sport seats with Memory.

I placed the passenger seat in but no movement which has me worried as i expected atleast the original tilt and up/down switches would work.

A comparison between both pins shows me:
X279 extra pins on new M-Sport seat.
Pins 2)- K_CAN_H
3)- K_CAN_L
7)- Steady Plus
8)- Ground

All above pins are missing from the original passengers seat and need to be wired, Can someone confirm that I should have atleast some movement w/o these as far as i can tell there needed for memory and 4) is needed for lumber support.

I had the seat in twice and the second time a f#* up i didnt have the connector in fully when re-connecting the battery and now have the air bag light, im going to cross this bridge later once i have movement as i have just ordered a programming cable.

I do not have any proof these seats where working originally but they seem in good nick, airbags are in place etc.

Would be grateful for some feedback from the experts.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #154
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Found answer to my own questions;

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Yes, that is present on my driver seat and I will be connecting it. It needs to be connected only on the driver seat. (SEAT MODULE)
My question is that on passenger side there is blue/white wire is position 1, and that needs to run to junction box. Is that correct?
It should be connected to pin 38 on JBE (junction box) SW47 plug (X14270).

Quote:
As on passenger side, I have SEAT HEATING MODULE.
What about wire in position 5 which is green / red? According to earlier posting (#51) it is ignition plus and it should connect to terminal 15.
My question is what is terminal 15?
That is in the fuse box and should be connected to Fuse 29 slot.

Quote:
Great. I was getting worried and thought these seats were not compatible with my car. Does anybody know what is it?
Active head restraint. AFAIK, in case of accident the head restraint go to its max upper level and get tilted. This plug is used to deflate / or bring it down. Not 100% sure about it.