E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Underseat subs

08-19-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Msportshqwn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E61 530d Msport

Underseat subs

Hi guys.

Dont shoot if its been asked before lol but could not find the answer to my querie.

I have a 2006 e91 msport with the base stereo. I have changed the head unit and all door speakers to coax and added some tweeters to the dash.

All sounds ok but the underseat subs lack a little bit. Would i have any benefit going to the bigger hifi/logic subs? Would they just drop in the current enclosure?

Appreciate any help.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 02:31 AM   #2
MooLard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d touring

Morning! If you have changed the door speakers to coax doesn't this mean they have tweeters in the middle already now? In that case you can save yourself some time and labour and not bother with further tweeters, it would over power the high notes too. If you had an amp to supply sound you could fit a 4" mid in the centre of the dash, there is a space for that.
As for the under seat subs, you are right they are gentle to say the least. It is a challenge to replicate a sub in a box in the boot type of sound with the underseat subs, so if you are looking for that you might want to consider fitting a sub in the boot. It is possible to buy on that is sculpted and fits above the battery.

2016 435xd GC, MTC intercooler, centre and back box deletes, GKR stage 2 remap, methanol injection, H&R lowering springs. To do: wash it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Msportshqwn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cheers for the reply. I added the dash tweeters as the position on the door speakers is not great so just wanted to lift the sound. Big difference when add ed up top.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 09:24 AM   #4
blueh88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330d M Sport Auto

When you say you have changed your head unit, do you mean you have gone for an aftermarket one? The main thing you are missing is an amp. If you have changed to an aftermarket headunit, it is very straightforward to add any amp you like and wire up to some good underseat subs. I have the Match MS8 8 inch subs replacing the stock 6 inch and they are a direct replacement, although with new wiring to the amp in the boot. It really does give it a very nice kick, although you will never match the lows of a dedicated sub. However, it is good enough for me to not worry about super low bass notes.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #5
Msportshqwn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the input guys 👍🏻
Appreciate 0