E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW Trouble Code Culprit?

02-09-2022, 09:16 PM   #1
florida_man04
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i, 2014 Ford F150

BMW Trouble Code Culprit?

I was driving with my buddies earlier tonight and a check engine light suddenly popped up when I was on my way to drop them off at their homes.

My primary trouble code is P0133, and my secondary codes are P0153 and P0128. I also have 5E5B and D357.

The car ran fine and I didn't hear any strange noises from the engine or transmission on the way to my house. Any ideas what my issue could be?

My main concern is D357 which I can't find any info on but it has something to do with my transmission
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 12:49 PM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_man04 View Post
I was driving with my buddies earlier tonight and a check engine light suddenly popped up when I was on my way to drop them off at their homes.

My primary trouble code is P0133, and my secondary codes are P0153 and P0128. I also have 5E5B and D357.

The car ran fine and I didn't hear any strange noises from the engine or transmission on the way to my house. Any ideas what my issue could be?

My main concern is D357 which I can't find any info on but it has something to do with my transmission
https://bmwfault.codes/
The first two P codes say both pre-cat O2 sensors are responding slower than expected.

The third P code says the coolant temperature is too low. Could be malfunctioning temperature sensor, bad thermostat or wiring issues

Quick read:
It's very unusual for two sensors to fail in exactly the same way at the same time and I doubt there is anything wrong with them. If the coolant temp is really low the car will run in open loop and eventually you'll have AFR problems which the DME can interpret as O2 sensor issues.

I'd do some further diagnostic before throwing parts at the problem.

Finally, the hex codes likely indicate DSC problem, not a transmission problem

E5EB: DSC: DSC button or error
D357: DSC: No message (transmission, 0x 186), receiver DSC, transmitter EGS/SMG/DCT

It the DSC reporting that it is not receiving expected PT-CAN messages from the transmission but it's also reporting E5EB (which is not a very specific code).

Are the P codes and hex codes related or just two completely different problems? Damned if I know

EDIT: this is not a coding issue, this is an error code issue and as such would likely get more eyeballs in either the 'General' section or the 'NA engine' section

Last edited by dpaul; 02-10-2022 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0