E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Need Your Opinion On This

02-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
jaylo247
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Need Your Opinion On This

I took my car in for routine maintenance a week ago today. 60K inspection, brake flush, microfilter, and some work on my driver's side mirror that was covered by a third party extended warranty. I have a $100 deductible per visit for this warranty, so I asked the dealership to really look my vehicle over during the 60K inspection to see if anything else needed to be fixed. They took care of everything and did not recommend any additional work.

Approximately three days after picking my vehicle up, my service engine soon light came on so I went to Auto Zone to get the code and it was P0128 (thermostat). I knew I was driving out of town this weekend, so I take it into a different dealer today and they confirm that it needs a new thermostat. In addition, they say I have a leaking oil pan gasket and a leaking mechatronic sleeve. I am really skeptical of these leaks because I just had my 60K service a week ago (at the other dealer) and they did not say anything about a leak! I am sure they would have caught it and fixed it because I have a warranty.

Anyways, the extended warranty is covering the repairs again, est. $1,450 for the thermostat, oil pan, mechatronic sleeve. Since I am already paying the $100 deductible for the thermostat, I really do not care that they fix the other stuff, but it really makes me wonder...

What do you think?

First dealership completely missed the leaks during the 60K inspection.

Second dealership is just up-charging warranty fixes that are not necessary.

Two leaks happened simultaneously within 7 days of my 60K inspection and the second dealership did a good job catching them.

I am just curious to what everyone thinks and how you would react in this situation. Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

leaks were probably missed by the first dealer. If you suspect the 2nd dealer is scamming you, ask them to show you the leaks. They are either there or not.

Thermostat failing is likely a coincidence, if you didn't have any symptoms prior to the CE light this time.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #3
jaylo247
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

I was pleasantly surprised to have my vehicle dropped off today at my house by the dealership. Yes, the dealership returned my vehicle to my front door (212 miles round trip)! I was initially worried about the whole situation (mentioned above) but the level of service I received alleviated any concern.

They fixed all repairs and everything was covered under my extended warranty minus the bolts for the oil pan. Breakdown as follows (parts/labor):

Replace mechatronic sleeve, $413.93
Replace oil pan gasket, $752.05 (Oil change included, lol)
Replace thermostat, $420.07
Total: $1,586.05

They also told me that for all future service, they will drive to my house, drop off a loaner and then return my car when it is finished. Has anyone had door to door service like this?
Appreciate 0