E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 50,000 miles, should i flush the transmission fluid?

02-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #67
Samuel L Jackson
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i Coupe

I think 100k mile fluid changes are BS. My parent's car has a ZF transmission and it started slipping around 85k miles. I believe Mercedes also changed their stance on this and recommends 39k/3 year AT fluid change which is what I plan to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #68
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
I don't care what fluid you use mate. I'm even going to try amzoil ATF next, since my mechanic swears by it based on countless changes he's done with it. But heed my warning; MAKE SURE that whatever oil they sell you at the dealership is from the part number 83-22-0-142-516! I originally tried to get this fluid, at both the BMW, and Audi dealerships, and after a long arguement with them and the sales manager, they finally agreed to sell it to me at $60:00 per liter! This is the same cost the ZF distributors in my state quoted me. I don't see how you guys who go to the dealership, are getting it at anything less per liter, because that is what the dealership pays the distributors! How can they take that kind of financial loss? Unless they are giving you E46(83-22-0-406-929???) or some other transmission oil.
As per your advice, I'll be sure to double check the part number. I told my tech it was Shell M1375.4, and he just took it off my VIN number. Once I have it done, I'll be sure to post what I paid for it as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 01:25 AM   #69
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
I don't care what fluid you use mate. I'm even going to try amzoil ATF next, since my mechanic swears by it based on countless changes he's done with it. But heed my warning; MAKE SURE that whatever oil they sell you at the dealership is from the part number 83-22-0-142-516! I originally tried to get this fluid, at both the BMW, and Audi dealerships, and after a long arguement with them and the sales manager, they finally agreed to sell it to me at $60:00 per liter! This is the same cost the ZF distributors in my state quoted me. I don't see how you guys who go to the dealership, are getting it at anything less per liter, because that is what the dealership pays the distributors! How can they take that kind of financial loss? Unless they are giving you E46(83-22-0-406-929???) or some other transmission oil.
you are keep referencing 83-22-0-406-929 as E46 ATF when there is no reference of that from me or anyone else, which is just wrong information to mislead people. as i already said million times to you, this part number is there for pricing purpose so if you don't get it this time, i don't know what to tell you but to go take english 101 again...

you go drop your car, tech will go underneath your car to look for specific ATF for that car which in this case will be 83-22-0-142-516, which happens to be 20L. in case of my dealer, they initially quoted as 5.5 liter and used 11 x 83-22-0-406-929. I can personally careless what genetic part number that they used because i know that's for pricing purpose only.

I did mentioned about E46 ATF because SA initially quoted off his head and going by the very last 6 speed transmission fluids service he did, which indeed was wrong information and it didn't take them so long to find that out once they raised the car, it clearly direct tech to use different fluids for my car than what SA suggested. so they reported back and on their computer it says 5.5 liter of 83-22-0-142-516 for drain and fill so that's how much they quoted the job for the second time around. they ended up using 6 liters and so that's what i ended up got charged for.

now with that being said, as far as the warranty per say, you are the one with the WRONG fluids so stop bring your thought on my fluids service, i actually spoke to service dept manager telling me that all service that they do, they will stand behind it 100% for next 3 year or 36000 miles... does your mechanic with pentosin ATF offer that kind of gurantee?

oh yea... that's what i thought...

Appreciate 0