E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > dealer changed the oil...i'm a little confused.

02-22-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
sippinblkgold
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i black 6spd

dealer changed the oil...i'm a little confused.

So my low oil light came on about a month ago. They topped it off at the dealer, saying it wasn't due for an oil change. Then three days later the light came on again. I've been driving it for a few weeks with the light coming on sometimes and others not. It came on again and I took it in...this time they changed the oil and filter and said it should have been changed the first time around (same dealer mind you). Then they said I would need to change it again in about 3k miles when the on board computer service reminder came up.

....Soooo I ask...WHY DOES IT NEED TO BE CHANGED AGAIN IN 3K MILES? DOES THE COMPUTER NOT KNOW IT WAS JUST DONE?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

The computer is an idiot, you and only you can properly keep track of things. Welcome to the new era of automotive ownership geared towards an average consumer.

My dealer yelled at me for resetting the oil light myself when I did an oil change. They threatened my to void my warranty for engine related problems. To which I responded by getting a car elsewhere.
      02-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Oh my goodness, what a bunch of whackos. I told my dealership that the svc. mgr. told me if I own the car, change the oil at 1200 mi. (like an M). Also, I want to pay for the change every other time at 7500.

I have been around and around with them, told I would have to pay, then I get there, I don't have to pay, been told to ignore warning lights, etc. Same thing in particular, on the phone I was told I need to pay for a 15k change (at 16k), and I said why? It's one year or 15k, right? The person said you have to pay, we'll explain when you're here. Then when I come in they say it's covered.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #4
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

If they're paying I'd get it done every 3,000 miles lol
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
The on board computer is useless....it will not adjust iteself unless the computer has been updated with service update...(i.e. reset oil change countdown after the dealership performed the oil change)....otherwise you will just get the red triangle warning "Service Due!" everytime you start the car.....

p.s.
I perform oil change about every 7,500 miles....
      02-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
Well, what do you expect? From the dawn of the computer, everyone knows that computers are stupid. Why? They have to be TOLD what to do. That's why we have computer programmers.

Being said, when you change the oil yourself, you have to TELL the computer that you did that. Do you expect the car to figure it out by itself?
This is exactly why I don't use a computer. At first my secretary found it annoying that I would read her what to post on the forum, and she would type it, but she's gotten used to it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
Well, what do you expect? From the dawn of the computer, everyone knows that computers are stupid. Why? They have to be TOLD what to do. That's why we have computer programmers.

Being said, when you change the oil yourself, you have to TELL the computer that you did that. Do you expect the car to figure it out by itself?
jeez....just saying....

if BMW wants to be anal about oil change.....they could've put multiple sensors to detect oil viscosity and such....so the computer will tell you its time to change fresh engine oil....'

its just depends how much the car company will spend....they should've just take out the oil level sensor and put back the dip stick and save more money....and the service reminder does nothing but putting warning triangles on your dash board....
      02-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #8
RR335
335cpeMsport/550Msport/540iMsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335coupeMsport

It seems that you were just low on oil and they topped off the oil. It also could of been a timing issue when they did the oil top off maybe that forgot to check the oil level and made up some crap about filter. Because usually the way it works is sometimes you just need a quart of oil after like 7000 miles but the oil change is done at when the computor says around 11-14000 miles depending how you drive it.

Sometimes dealers make simple mistakes and make it bigger than it should be.

Dont worry just move on with this.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #9
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
This is exactly why I don't use a computer. At first my secretary found it annoying that I would read her what to post on the forum, and she would type it, but she's gotten used to it.
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Does anybody just read the owner's manual anymore? The oil change interval is so f'ing easy to understand. The CBS (condition based service) system, through the BC, tells you how many miles left you have before the car needs the oil changed.

The CBS keeps track of the mileage from the last change, the condition of the oil (yes the oil level sensor actually evaluates the condition of the oil), keeps track of the oil level, keeps track of fuel usage rate, engine temperatures, etc. and calculates when the oil needs to be changed. The interval is usually between 15,000 to 18,000 miles. Whether you trust that long interval is up to you, but nonetheless the car is quite clear as to when the oil needs to be changed.

The computer needs to be told when the oil was changed, which is why there is a reset procedure. The sensor can't tell if there is new oil added (it's not a CSI crime lab for Christ's sake), only if the engine has the proper level of oil in the crankcase.

If it is too hard to understand CBS system, then just pick a change interval you are comfortable with, say 5,000 miles (so it is easy for you to do the math) and stick with it. Or go buy a GM car and it will send you an e-mail when to get the service done.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
fnckr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippinblkgold View Post
So my low oil light came on about a month ago. They topped it off at the dealer, saying it wasn't due for an oil change. Then three days later the light came on again. I've been driving it for a few weeks with the light coming on sometimes and others not. It came on again and I took it in...this time they changed the oil and filter and said it should have been changed the first time around (same dealer mind you). Then they said I would need to change it again in about 3k miles when the on board computer service reminder came up.

....Soooo I ask...WHY DOES IT NEED TO BE CHANGED AGAIN IN 3K MILES? DOES THE COMPUTER NOT KNOW IT WAS JUST DONE?
Maybe they get PAID for it by BMW. The first time they could claim some warranty issue or customer satisfaction. The next time it is straight up oil change based on the car's computer. Just my guess.
      02-27-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

I got the service records for my car, because it was a corporate vehicle, and they didn't change the oil at any normal interval at all. It went 12,000 miles once then another 18,000 miles. The second I got these records I immediately changed the oil!
Appreciate 0