E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Price of car increased by £700

05-21-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Price of car increased by £700

Hi All

Just wanted to run this past you. Paying for new car this coming weekend with a part ex (value to be agreed)

Placed order for car (E92 335i m-sport) end of Feb total cost £40285 (with 3% discount) I though it was a “virtual” 5% as I missed the March price increase, but things have changed……..

On the signed contract RFL (VED) was quoted at £190 (which was wrong at the time) so now the VED is £300 – I expected the cost of my car to rise by £110 to £40395

However the dealer said the total due is £41067

He said this is for delivery charge, reg fee, fuel etc. I am sooooo pissed off with this as he has not quoted me the on the road price (OTR) I was 100% sure it was the OTR price and he never told me more money was due at the time of signing. I though the OTR price was incorporated into the cost of the car.

He has now sent me a new contract (haven’t signed yet) with the updated prices as he said this info was not available end of Feb/Early march, but surely this would be the same as the non m-sport E92. And that he also did not tell me!
You see we agreed to get the price down (with all my options) to 40K (shortly after I added front sensors) bringing the price to £40285
I was happy (ish) but gutted when I seen coast2coast prices. I also though that I missed the March 1st price rise of around £600, but this increase explains that rise!

I am due to pay for the car this Sat and appraise the part ex with the dealer manager (my stealer is on holiday)

What do you guys reckon I should do?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
ROCKETRON
320D M-sport le-mans blue
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 320D M-Sport le-mans blue

Insist on an extra £1000 on the p/x. Remember its the price to change that counts and so if your new one is now more than you thought then make sure that the price to change is about what you expected. By the way i would have thought that 9-12% should be available by now on the coupe so if he wont play ball then threaten to go to internet supplier.

E90 320D M-Sport Lemans blue/beige leather/wood/auto/lumbar support/folding mirrors/through load/bluetooth/pro satnav,i-drive/voice control. NOW SOLD
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
I'm surprised that people order a car then agree part ex later - surely the p/x is part of the deal and they are more likely to offer you better part ex to get the initial deal? Maybe just me but I thought that's how it 'works'.

I would've thought if you have a contract with a price on it that's the price you pay - if the dealer made an error or missed things off originally that shouldn't be your issue.

As per Rocketron - a lot more than 3% should now be available on these so IMHO the dealer should absorb this as their error - threaten to walk and you want your deposit back because they've broken the contract.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 09:57 AM   #4
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

The VED increase is fair, but the price you agreed should have been inclusive of delivery, plates etc..

This was the case with my car and it does sound as if you dealer is trying it on.

I agree with silverbmwz3 on the part ex - this would have been the first thing to agree on my list.

I know that there is a gap .. but my dealer just agreed an expected milage increase to the point of delivery and a valuation as of that date.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
I know that there is a gap .. but my dealer just agreed an expected milage increase to the point of delivery and a valuation as of that date.
I'm not even sure that's so much of an issue. My E46 convertible had only done 19k miles - in 3 years! However I wasn't expecting a massive 'credit' on the P/X for such low mileage so equally a few hundred/even thousand extra shouldn't make that much of a difference surely? With cars coming within a few months I can't believe the p/x should be too sensitive to that.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 10:14 AM   #6
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks for your comments guys. Yep i hold my hands up, not been a good consumer and agreeing part ex values first. Dealer said that 3 months is a long time in part ex prices, i fell for this. I'm kicking myself for not asking you guys, as this was my first big car purchase i was a little naive and i thought i had my bases covered - oh well you live and you learn

I did point out to him about coast2coast prices and he said lead time was far greater.. blah blah blah so has included vechicle paint protection for free.

I will aim to get more added to part ex value and i am seeing the dealer manager and will be bringing the misses with me for the hair dryer treatment
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
thanks for your comments guys. Yep i hold my hands up, not been a good consumer and agreeing part ex values first. Dealer said that 3 months is a long time in part ex prices, i fell for this. I'm kicking myself for not asking you guys, as this was my first big car purchase i was a little naive and i thought i had my bases covered - oh well you live and you learn

I did point out to him about coast2coast prices and he said lead time was far greater.. blah blah blah so has included vechicle paint protection for free.

I will aim to get more added to part ex value and i am seeing the dealer manager and will be bringing the misses with me for the hair dryer treatment
Good luck Dazz,i always take 'er indoors she nails the stealer every time,and i'm suposed to be the business man
IMHO he's trying to take the p##s, threaten to walk they always come back to you
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post

Well .. you still have the option to sell privately if your dealer doesn't come through on the p/x price. Although the dealer will have the upper hand as he will know you probably won't want the hassle of doing this.

Try to get a really good handle on what your p/x is worth. The AA have a good online valuation service based on glasses guide:

http://www.theaa.com/cbg/Manufacture...=fullValuation

We're all amateurs when it comes to buying cars and the dealers are all professionals. So don't beat yourself up about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 10:59 AM   #9
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
Good luck Dazz,i always take 'er indoors she nails the stealer every time,and i'm suposed to be the business man
IMHO he's trying to take the p##s, threaten to walk they always come back to you
thanks mate. i'll let her do the talking hehe
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #10
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Well .. you still have the option to sell privately if your dealer doesn't come through on the p/x price. Although the dealer will have the upper hand as he will know you probably won't want the hassle of doing this.

Try to get a really good handle on what your p/x is worth. The AA have a good online valuation service based on glasses guide:

http://www.theaa.com/cbg/Manufacture...=fullValuation

We're all amateurs when it comes to buying cars and the dealers are all professionals. So don't beat yourself up about it.

cheers needforspeed. appreiciate your view. I went to http://www.hpicheck.com/newfrontend/...valuations.jsp and i will use the AA one too. top man
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 11:14 AM   #11
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Do you have any options to get out of the deal? I know you said you signed but what exactly?

Edit - you haven't signed - tell 'em you've found a better deal.
      05-21-2007, 11:48 AM   #12
330cdsport
Right Responsible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW F21 M135i

Garage List
Also - if you go to www.vauxhall.co.uk and then <OWNERS> <Value my car> you will get a free Glass' valuation worth £2.95 - courtesy of Vauxhall
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 11:53 AM   #13
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
BMW 3 Series 320d SE
2.0TD Diesel 4-door Saloon
6 Speed Manual Rear Wheel Drive
Year: 2005 05
Mileage: 25,000

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£16800

Average condition:
£15100

Below average condition:
£13450

so a loss of around 9k in two years - nice.
      05-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
Do you have any options to get out of the deal? I know you said you signed but what exactly?

Edit - you haven't signed - tell 'em you've found a better deal.

I signed the contract for £40285 without the OTR costs (i didn't know this at the time) - with VED @£190

Now the dealer has "revised" the contract for £41067 to include OTR (such as delivery £592, fuel £30, first reg fee £30, increase in VED £110. I haven't signed this contract yet.

Looking at the terms and conditions of sale i believe clause 6 applies, which gives me the right to cancel if the price of changes (non tax related) and they need to give my 14 days notice, he only told me the other week and tried to keep it quiet.

In the context of the cost of the car £700 is not that much, but I certainly would'nt want to lob 700 notes out of the window, which is what it feels like to me

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
BMW 3 Series 320d SE
2.0TD Diesel 4-door Saloon
6 Speed Manual Rear Wheel Drive
Year: 2005 05
Mileage: 25,000

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£16800

Average condition:
£15100

Below average condition:
£13450

so a loss of around 9k in two years - nice.
cool - thats a part exchange price so you could add a fair few $ for private sale etc. I prefer the hpicheck website valued my car about 1K more so I will be bringing this one to the stealer
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #16
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
I'd stick to your guns mate - don't sign the new contract and pay what you agreed originally - I don't think he'll let you go and lose the sale!
      05-21-2007, 12:16 PM   #17
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

thanks 1stnewcar, i will do exactly that. even with the price increase, it equates to 5% of list, with it being a cooper inchscape dealership, it should not be a problem, plus the dealer manager will be doing the transaction and he will have the authority to revise the cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #18
speuk
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 3.0d MSport / F23

Garage List
2010 f07 SE GT  [0.00]
Check the price on Broadspeed.com which is part owned by Inchcape. Coopers Thames Ditton quoted me 8% discount on the wife's e92, but I bought from Sytner High Wycombe at the same price as they are my local dealer....they also threw in the Ipod cable (£38) a big bunch of flowers for the wife and have just sent a case of wine as the car was delayed very slightly, although it was still earlier than their original del date.

Just tell him you believe that you have been seriously misled (mis-sold) by his salesman and will walk from the deal unless he makes amends and you know they will do 8% on the e92.

I sold the wife's e46 coupe privately at full value with an ad in Auto trader.

Good luck
SPE
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2007, 01:51 PM   #19
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
It sounds rather like they are trying to pull a fast one on you. If they have a signed contract between themselves and you to supply the car for £40285 then that's what you should pay.

If they are asking you to sign a new contract then surely they are trying to negotiate a new deal. This being the case I would be siting the sources by which you can get a better deal in todays market and ask them if they really want to start over again or stick to the contract that you both signed. They might want to pass on the cost increases, but you'd want a better discount.

Haggle hard on the px and the best of luck

Matt

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 03:03 AM   #20
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
30 quid for fuel....I can't believe they don't fill the tank on a 40k car! Cheapskates. My dealer only put 20 quid of fuel in....
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 05:22 AM   #21
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
It sounds rather like they are trying to pull a fast one on you. If they have a signed contract between themselves and you to supply the car for £40285 then that's what you should pay.

If they are asking you to sign a new contract then surely they are trying to negotiate a new deal. This being the case I would be siting the sources by which you can get a better deal in todays market and ask them if they really want to start over again or stick to the contract that you both signed. They might want to pass on the cost increases, but you'd want a better discount.

Haggle hard on the px and the best of luck

Matt

very good point pal. I will be bringing print outs of coast2coast and broadspeed who are £1000's cheaper even if the dealer honours this "mistake" and you're correct - he is trying to renegotiate a deal and if anything i should be able to get a bigger discount will keep you guys posted on what happens in this saga

"Price of car increased by £700 part deux!"
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 10:51 AM   #22
skansa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Datsun Sunny

have u read the small print?
price is fine i am sure but subject to changes BMW Europe or .....
Appreciate 0