E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Auto Trans Fluid and Filter Change for 328i/328xi

08-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #89
franktrottajr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by richidoo View Post
After the recent ATF change I do have the ticking sound from the tranny, I can only hear it at idle, and not at startup. I think it's from sucking air into the ATF pickup while starting it without enough oil in the pan. The car wasn't exactly level, it was tilted down at the rear by a degree or two so I couldn't get the full 4 qts into the pan before it started dripping out. I think I had about 3qts, but could have even been a little less. I could hear it suck air before I could get more fluid in, due to the poor handpump situation. I have not taken the car on the highway yet, so I assume it will go away once I get it up to speed as others have reported. I will check that the car is level next time, or even tilt forward a little.
I just changed the ATF/filter on my 07 328xi, and am experiencing the same ticking, did yours ever resolve?

I am thinking of putting mine up on jack stands again and rechecking the fluid level.... I filled mine and checked at 86 degrees, so I thought I'd be good. Ticked at first, then seemed to go away...been driving a few hundred miles, and at idle I can now hear a faint ticking or clicking every second or two still if I get under the car. Definitely sounds like metal on metal. Thinking maybe its that arm with the roller bearing on it under the manual selector lever, or something of a similar composition.

Not sure if perhaps these cars make a faint tick in that area. May try to take a look at other 328xi's to see if perhaps they all sound like this, again can't hear it unless you get under the car...Hmm.

Here is a vid of the sound, its the single metallic tap every second and a half or so :

Anyone have any thoughts?

Frank

Last edited by franktrottajr; 08-29-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #90
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

A couple people in the thread said they had a tick for a little while afterwards. But all I saw had said it went away with time. YMMV. IF you topped off the ATF properly, there really isn't much more you can do. You could drain and replace again, and possibly put in the TCC additive. Because the next step is a bit invasive....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 10:50 PM   #91
franktrottajr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
A couple people in the thread said they had a tick for a little while afterwards. But all I saw had said it went away with time. YMMV. IF you topped off the ATF properly, there really isn't much more you can do. You could drain and replace again, and possibly put in the TCC additive. Because the next step is a bit invasive....
Thanks Bluewater - I will check the level, and hope that's the issue. If not, I guess I dislodged something that is now stuck and clogging the valve body somewhere. Hope that's not what it is, or at least hope that it resolves itself before destroying my transmission.

Ordered the lubeguard products, but I really hope to resolve this without resorting to mechanic in a bottle "fixes".

Wish I had the patience to drop the valve body and clean all the passages, if that is in fact what's going on....hopefully the fluid level somehow read correctly when it was not in fact correct.

Thanks for the advice.
Frank
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #92
AlisoBob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Nice thread.... but here are a few thoughts from my perspective.

1. Yes, the filter needs to be serviced, the dump drain, and refill method just isn't enough. As the filter plugs up, the line pressure in the trans goes down, and friction material wear increases.

2 .Dex VI is one on the worst fluids GM ever came up with. It was mandated to meet a ultra low viscosity requirement from the upper brass, to try to raise fuel economy of the GM fleet. Its not known for good shifts, or prolonging transmission life. I own several GM products in my personal life, as well as the company I own. The first thing I do when adding a vehicle is dump out that DEX VI.

So, what to use then?

Allison Transmissions (a division of GM) had Castrol invent a "Super Dex VI" to address the shortcomings of DEX VI, and boy did they deliver! The fluid is known as "Transynd", and carries the identifier TES-295. Several companies make a licensed version, they are listed here.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/p...highway-fluids

Here's how I service a GM / DEX VI transmission.

1. Drain pan, remove pan, replace filter, install pan.
2. Fill with a TES-295 fluid ( I use Mobil Delvac) Get the level close, but you dont need to be exact. Run the car for about 5 minutes and then drain the pan again. ( no need to drop the pan, just drain it) This is known as a "Double Dump" and will swap out about 90+% of the fluid. Now refill it again, and do spend the time to get the temp up, and set the fluid level accurately.

And that's it. This fluid is designed to go a minimum of 100,000 miles, in city buses, dump trucks, and other HIGHLY stressed applications where DEX VI would fail in no time.

For anyone wanting more info on TES-295 fluids, here is good read directly from Allison:

"When using Allison Lube spec TES 295 fluid, change intervals should be as follows:
Fluid life: 150,000 miles / 6,000 hours
Lube/Auxiliary Filter (if used): 75,000 miles / 3,000 hours
Internal Filter : Changed only during transmission overhauls
Initial 10,000 mile change:Not required with TES 295 fluids

Using any oil not listed as TES 295 approved or a non-Allison genuine filter may void your warranty.
Also note that effective January 2010, per Allison Service TIP 1099N, Allison no longer authorizes the use of DEXRONŽ III or IV in any of its transmissions."

As always, do your own research, but I've yet to have ANY transmission issues since switching everything over to a TES-295 fluid.

I'm surprized no one has either commented or followed up with their own experiences with switching over to a TES 295 fluid. It's been 20k miles, and my trans has never shifted better.....
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 04:42 PM   #93
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrador View Post
As far as the drain plug stripping goes, I replaced it with an GM (OEM) steel plug. ACDelco 24234212. It comes with a gasket for about $3 + shipping. I am not sure why BMW would drop a perfectly good OEM steel plug for an aluminum one.

So I bought this as well, and MAN, is that a whole lot longer than the stock plug. After seeing the pan drop, I don't think anything is close, but it's a good amount taller than the stock plug...albiet, at least this one won't require a easy-out bit. Picture doesn't do it justice...it looks a lot bigger in person.

Appreciate 1
E90Dom0.00
      11-18-2018, 10:14 AM   #94
mcdanielvzw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
Not to revive a thread from the dead, but for consistency. Changed my Trans fluid at 123k miles (didn't have the car until 116k). I've done it twice now, first time I sent it off to BS for an analysis (attached). Not the greatest of news there.

I changed it because of the 40-50 MPH shudder that's common. After, I was so pissed I nearly sold it as is with the new problems. I didn't feel right about the whole thing.

I ordered the kit from FCP of course. 7 quarts of LiquiMoly 1800 (Informed them either 1100/1200 wasn't Dexron VI compatible therefore incompatible and now they don't offer it!).
1st time (10/20/18, 123450 miles). Got about 3.5 quarts out, same put in even running the car. Car had a funny noise I wasn't sure about and surged really bad in 1st and 2nd gear, drove fine on highway.

2nd time (11/17/18, 125421 miles) Only got about 1.5 quarts out. Put in over 4 (I ordered 1 extra quart from Amazon)! I did the same procedure, but this time I was a one man crew so it may have taken longer overall.

I think the sound I heard last time was the trans pump sucking air, because now there is no sound and so far I haven't had any odd noises or tranny surges in 1st and 2nd.

About to sell 2016 550i M Sport - Arm DP, Arm Front-Facing Intake
Sold - 2009 328i - Stock, 195,000 running strong.

Last edited by mcdanielvzw; 11-18-2018 at 02:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
E90Dom0.00
      03-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #95
erikrichard
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i coupe

Quote:
Nice thread.... but here are a few thoughts from my perspective.

1. Yes, the filter needs to be serviced, the dump drain, and refill method just isn't enough. As the filter plugs up, the line pressure in the trans goes down, and friction material wear increases.

2 .Dex VI is one on the worst fluids GM ever came up with. It was mandated to meet a ultra low viscosity requirement from the upper brass, to try to raise fuel economy of the GM fleet. Its not known for good shifts, or prolonging transmission life. I own several GM products in my personal life, as well as the company I own. The first thing I do when adding a vehicle is dump out that DEX VI.

So, what to use then?

Allison Transmissions (a division of GM) had Castrol invent a "Super Dex VI" to address the shortcomings of DEX VI, and boy did they deliver! The fluid is known as "Transynd", and carries the identifier TES-295. Several companies make a licensed version, they are listed here.

http://www.allisontransmission.com/p...highway-fluids

Here's how I service a GM / DEX VI transmission.

1. Drain pan, remove pan, replace filter, install pan.
2. Fill with a TES-295 fluid ( I use Mobil Delvac) Get the level close, but you dont need to be exact. Run the car for about 5 minutes and then drain the pan again. ( no need to drop the pan, just drain it) This is known as a "Double Dump" and will swap out about 90+% of the fluid. Now refill it again, and do spend the time to get the temp up, and set the fluid level accurately.

And that's it. This fluid is designed to go a minimum of 100,000 miles, in city buses, dump trucks, and other HIGHLY stressed applications where DEX VI would fail in no time.

For anyone wanting more info on TES-295 fluids, here is good read directly from Allison:

"When using Allison Lube spec TES 295 fluid, change intervals should be as follows:
Fluid life: 150,000 miles / 6,000 hours
Lube/Auxiliary Filter (if used): 75,000 miles / 3,000 hours
Internal Filter : Changed only during transmission overhauls
Initial 10,000 mile change:Not required with TES 295 fluids

Using any oil not listed as TES 295 approved or a non-Allison genuine filter may void your warranty.
Also note that effective January 2010, per Allison Service TIP 1099N, Allison no longer authorizes the use of DEXRONŽ III or IV in any of its transmissions."

As always, do your own research, but I've yet to have ANY transmission issues since switching everything over to a TES-295 fluid.

This post is silly and innacurate. If Dex vi is such junk and fails in no time, why do most BMW owners with the GM transmission take it past 100K before replacing it, and a huge % never change it with no transmission problems? if the shifting is so bad, why do BMWs with the GM transmission using Dex vi shift so smoothly?
There is absolutely nonthing wrong with Dex vi, and to mix fluids with Tes-295 or any other fluid other than Dex vi is inviting disaster and completely unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #96
erikrichard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0ggd0gg View Post
You actually filled it in the wrong plug area. It take about 8 quarts. The plug is towards the passenger side and it faces upwards. You need to fill there. Did three of them today on a fleet. Its on the side of the trans above the shielding.
Actually you are wrong, the OP filled it in the correct place for the GM transmission, you are talking about the ZF fill plug which is on the side. This post should be deleted as it's extremely unhelpful to have confusing, incorrect info to those using this thread as a guide for the job. Here is a clear pic of the fill bolt on the GM transmission, its directly above the drain plug on the end facing the rear.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...mall/pic04.jpg
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #97
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrichard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw0ggd0gg View Post
You actually filled it in the wrong plug area. It take about 8 quarts. The plug is towards the passenger side and it faces upwards. You need to fill there. Did three of them today on a fleet. Its on the side of the trans above the shielding.
Actually you are wrong, the OP filled it in the correct place for the GM transmission, you are talking about the ZF fill plug which is on the side. This post should be deleted as it's extremely unhelpful to have confusing, incorrect info to those using this thread as a guide for the job. Here is a clear pic of the fill bolt on the GM transmission, its directly above the drain plug on the end facing the rear.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec...mall/pic04.jpg
While his comment is not per TIS instruction, it is a correct statement that you can fill from there. I've done it myself and it sure saved me when the fill plug stripped.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #98
erikrichard
Rep

Quote:
While his comment is not per TIS instruction, it is a correct statement that you can fill from there. I've done it myself and it sure saved me when the fill plug stripped.
Filling in that hole till fluid runs out will leave the transmission way overfilled.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #99
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Filling in that hole till fluid runs out will leave the transmission way overfilled.
True, but it's still an option and good knowledge in a pinch.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 12:14 AM   #100
AlisoBob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
There is absolutely nonthing wrong with Dex vi,

Just keep on telling yourself that...... You obviously dont know any rebuilders.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #101
erikrichard
Rep

Quote:

Just keep on telling yourself that...... You obviously dont know any rebuilders.
I don't need to convince myself of anything, I have tens of thousands of miles on vehicles using dex vi, they all shifted smoothly and were long lasting. I have no idea what experience has led you to your bizarre conclusions.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #102
erikrichard
Rep

Quote:
True, but it's still an option and good knowledge in a pinch.
That's the whole point of my post, this guy is telling the op to add 8 quarts to the plug on the side rather than what the op did, using the plug that is designed to act as the transmission fluid level indicator and putting back in what he took out. This is terrible advice and could very well destroy a transmission overfilling it by almost 4 quarts.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #103
AlisoBob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I have no idea what experience has led you to your bizarre conclusions.
Uh.... that would be my conversations with Tom Johnson who sat on the GM Automatic Transmission Fluid Committee during the Dex VI introduction and it was he who established the TES-295 requirement after transmissions in GM trucks who were running Dex VI began to fail.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #104
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

I wouldn't be shocked if fuel economy considerations outweighed transmission health. However, I'd be wary of changing from the BMW recommendation as I think this is a complicated issue.

Interesting discussion on transmission fluids featuring I think Tom Johnson mentioned above.

https://community.fmca.com/topic/317...gineer/?page=2

My conclusion after reading this is I don't have the nerve to go against the recommended fluid.
      04-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #105
erikrichard
Rep

Quote:
Uh.... that would be my conversations with Tom Johnson who sat on the GM Automatic Transmission Fluid Committee during the Dex VI introduction and it was he who established the TES-295 requirement after transmissions in GM trucks who were running Dex VI began to fail.
Uh.......we don't drive trucks here, hello? I hope nobody follows your advice, mixing fluids in these BMW gm transmissions is really STUPID, as is using anything other than what came in them - dexron vi.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 05:49 AM   #106
AlisoBob
Enlisted Member
Rep

TES-295 fluids are fully backwards compatible with any Dex product.

You are completely ignorant on this subject.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 05:08 PM   #107
erikrichard
Rep

Quote:

TES-295 fluids are fully backwards compatible with any Dex product.

You are completely ignorant on this subject.
They probably work fine, but you are full of baloney with this "Dex vi shifts poorly and doesn't last more than 30k miles" crap. Where the hell do you get this shit? and why say such garbage to people who know you are wrong from experience?
I don't know what's going on with GM trucks, I don't drive one. Every GM vehicle I've owned including my 328i works perfectly fine with dex vi.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #108
AlisoBob
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
They probably work fine, but you are full of baloney with this "Dex vi shifts poorly and doesn't last more than 30k miles" crap.

Do you regularly put words in peoples mouths,. then criticize them for it.... what a jerkoff move. I never once said Dex Vi lasts 30 k miles. What I did say in a TES-295 fluid is designed to go 100k miles without servicing, something Dex Vi is not.

Also, I have experience driving a few BMW's that have switched over to a TES-295 fluid, and you have not. Explain to me how this gives you any ability to make any kind of comment regarding shift quality?

The ol' inna-net is chocked full of guys like you, who have never done anything, yet seem to know it all.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #109
erikrichard
Rep

Quote:

Do you regularly put words in peoples mouths,. then criticize them for it.... what a jerkoff move. I never once said Dex Vi lasts 30 k miles. What I did say in a TES-295 fluid is designed to go 100k miles without servicing, something Dex Vi is not.

Also, I have experience driving a few BMW's that have switched over to a TES-295 fluid, and you have not. Explain to me how this gives you any ability to make any kind of comment regarding shift quality?

The ol' inna-net is chocked full of guys like you, who have never done anything, yet seem to know it all.
The interwebs are chock full of guys like you with shit advice as well. My bet is not a single person took your dumbass advice here, you are probably the only one on this forum running TES-295 in your BMW. But you know better than BMW, GM and everyone else here don't you?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #110
erikrichard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if fuel economy considerations outweighed transmission health. However, I'd be wary of changing from the BMW recommendation as I think this is a complicated issue.

Interesting discussion on transmission fluids featuring I think Tom Johnson mentioned above.

https://community.fmca.com/topic/317...gineer/?page=2

My conclusion after reading this is I don't have the nerve to go against the recommended fluid.
You mean you don't want to go against the manufacturer of the transmission and the car you drive because some numbnut on a forum said you should? How dare you have some common sense.
Appreciate 0