E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90/E92/E93 Marketplace (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Private Owners For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Wheels and Tires Items > Advice Needed: Damaged Wheel on Wheels' Purchase

07-25-2020, 02:20 PM   #1
red96m3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Sedan, 2011 X3 M

Advice Needed: Damaged Wheel on Wheels' Purchase

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
USD 9,999.00

Item Interest
Dear Fellow E90 Memers,

Would like to get your advice and opinion on a recent wheels' purchase transaction.

I brought a set from a member on this board. I asked the seller several times to package the wheels carefully and well, as UPS and FedEx had not treated packages very well from my experience. Also, I live on a peninsula (aka boonies), nearest decent wheel repair shop is 1.5 hours from me.

As you probably know, one of the wheels is damaged. Seller said he filed a claim. Its been 3+ weeks now, he said sales is final. I believe that FedEx will denied the claim and said packaging was insufficient.

I like to get your thoughts on the next course of action. Btw, I paid via PayPal with credit card.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images

Last edited by red96m3; 07-25-2020 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
pysical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Got any pictures of the packaging of these?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
red96m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pysical View Post
Got any pictures of the packaging of these?
Just uploaded them.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #4
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Frustrating, I know. Were these wheels new, or used? I would CALL PayPal ASAP and document diligently who you spoke to by name or employee ID, when you spoke to them and what they told you. They'll likely find in your favor and fill out a claim with you on the phone, at least that's what happened to me. I went through this with a forum member on some used wheels that were grossly misrepresented. My experience with PayPal was terrible, and here's why...I originally asked for a partial refund in the amount of a quote from a local wheel repair shop to refinish them. The seller chose to not reply to PayPal's inquiries, which was another dick move by him, and made me wait out the 2 weeks PayPal gives them. At the end of the 2 weeks, PayPal tells me to ship the wheels back to the seller because they can't let me keep them and give me a partial refund, and to provide them tracking, at which time I would receive my refund. Cool, sounds alright, doesn't it? Well, it wasn't. During my conversations with PayPal I explained how expensive it would be to ship them back, and that is why I was asking for a partial refund to have them refinished. PayPal said they would refund shipping for the full amount. OK, so now I ship them, provide tracking to PayPal, and a day or two later I get notification of a refund to my account. Nice, but wait, there's more...the refund is only for the amount I originally asked for if I was to keep the wheels and have them refinished, and an additional $30 for shipping, but shipping cost nearly $300. It took another 3 weeks and multiple calls and emails to PayPal to finally be reimbursed for the full amount, and I had to eat the roughly $270 difference in shipping, as PayPal's policy is to only refund shipping up to $30, even though they said in a phone conversation that they would refund in full.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
red96m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
Frustrating, I know. Were these wheels new, or used? I would CALL PayPal ASAP and document diligently who you spoke to by name or employee ID, when you spoke to them and what they told you. They'll likely find in your favor and fill out a claim with you on the phone, at least that's what happened to me. I went through this with a forum member on some used wheels that were grossly misrepresented. My experience with PayPal was terrible, and here's why...I originally asked for a partial refund in the amount of a quote from a local wheel repair shop to refinish them. The seller chose to not reply to PayPal's inquiries, which was another dick move by him, and made me wait out the 2 weeks PayPal gives them. At the end of the 2 weeks, PayPal tells me to ship the wheels back to the seller because they can't let me keep them and give me a partial refund, and to provide them tracking, at which time I would receive my refund. Cool, sounds alright, doesn't it? Well, it wasn't. During my conversations with PayPal I explained how expensive it would be to ship them back, and that is why I was asking for a partial refund to have them refinished. PayPal said they would refund shipping for the full amount. OK, so now I ship them, provide tracking to PayPal, and a day or two later I get notification of a refund to my account. Nice, but wait, there's more...the refund is only for the amount I originally asked for if I was to keep the wheels and have them refinished, and an additional $30 for shipping, but shipping cost nearly $300. It took another 3 weeks and multiple calls and emails to PayPal to finally be reimbursed for the full amount, and I had to eat the roughly $270 difference in shipping, as PayPal's policy is to only refund shipping up to $30, even though they said in a phone conversation that they would refund in full.
Thanks for the insight.

I brought the wheels used from a member on this forum. I'm going to contact paypal and get things going just in case the seller doesn't want the wheels back.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
MarkChamorro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

File a claim with PayPal or with your credit card company. Explain the situation etc., you’ll be covered with PP’s buyer protection.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #7
pysical
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Looks like the wheels were in the original boxes they came in when the seller bought them. IMO that should have been good enough to protect against damage. Got a pic of the damage?

This is the way I see it playing out. You contact the seller and tell them it is there responsibility to file a claim. Make it clear that you expect it done ASAP and want daily updates. The seller should be doing everything they can to help you out. IF they don't decide to help you out on this then go through PP. It will end up being a partial refund that you and the seller will work out, or it will be full refund and you ship them back and the seller is stuck with it. So sadly both parties are going to have some headache but the seller should be willing to help on this.

Last edited by pysical; 07-25-2020 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
05Mdriver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: TT Flat Six

Garage List
2007 Porsche Turbo  [10.00]
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
2005 BMW M3  [10.00]
any pics of the damaged wheel ?
      07-26-2020, 11:33 PM   #9
gde061
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi coupe

Taking them to court isn't a real option, even though that' the way this is "supposed" to be handled. Not when the judicial system is a sham and you couldn't even get a lawyer to represent you if you agree to pay their hourly rates up front. And shipper and seller know it.

As for pay pay... they seem pretty disorganized. When they were a captive subsidiary of eBay, they relied on eBay to act as arbitrator between buyers and sellers - there was documentation of the transaction and it was easy to verify things either did or didn't work out as bargained... because the bargain lived in their system. Now they try to behave like a bank clearing house but they don't do it particularly well. For example, a bank will hold all kinds of set-off rights against commercial customers deposits to ensure that they never are out for cancelling an payment and issuing a customer a refund on a credit card purchase, where they are the credit issuer. For PayPay, they have contractual consent to make charge-backs, but it's a much more cumbersome process, and as a result they are much less likely to give you your refund. I would maybe initiate with PayPal but then I would also inform the credit card company that a dispute is pending. They are the ones who want you as a customer. PayPal don't car, and neither really does the 1-time seller on an internet forum. You are just a digital signature and an avatar to them.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 01:38 AM   #10
BOOSTLEE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, Ducati 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96m3 View Post
Dear Fellow E90 Memers,

Would like to get your advice and opinion on a recent wheels' purchase transaction.

I brought a set from a member on this board. I asked the seller several times to package the wheels carefully and well, as UPS and FedEx had not treated packages very well from my experience. Also, I live on a peninsula (aka boonies), nearest decent wheel repair shop is 1.5 hours from me.

As you probably know, one of the wheels is damaged. Seller said he filed a claim. Its been 3+ weeks now, he said sales is final. I believe that FedEx will denied the claim and said packaging was insufficient.

I like to get your thoughts on the next course of action. Btw, I paid via PayPal with credit card.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, I am the seller, sale post here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733582
I don’t know what calendar the OP uses but the claim has been filed on July 13th and yes, the claim is still pending. Due to covid-19 all claims will take longer than usual when I last talked to FedEx, this is out of my control. I am still waiting to hear from FedEx.

Those are the original boxes from Apex in which I have pack the op’s wheels in, one wheel in it's own box then a second outer box. double boxed, with the outer box strap ties all around, there is no way you can get the box open without cutting the straps with a razor knife. The boxes are heavy, one person cannot lift one box by themselves. I could see why the box could have been dropped to caused damage to the wheel but to hold me responsible for what FedEx caused is rubbish.

I have been trying to help the OP, if FedEx denies the claim, I offer to help pay for half the repair cost. The extent of the damage is minimal, can be easily fixed, I have even gotten a quote for $110 at a repair shop 30 miles from the OP’s house, Google is your best friend.

These images are from the OP. I sent these exact image to the repair shop.

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:54 AM   #11
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTLEE View Post
These images are from the OP. I sent these exact image to the repair shop.

After recently dealing with bent wheels, the way these are damaged scream "dropped during shipping." Unfortunately, the wheel is starting to crack along the lip/barrel transition and, IMO, you'll have a tough time having a shop repair that. That crack will be a weak point going forward, regardless if its fully welded. They might not even try due to liability going forward.

This is a shitty situation OP but honestly, its one of the risks of buying used wheels and shipping across the country. I would be leaning on FedEx hard based on the way they were bent. The direction its bent is not something that happens during normal use or even typical handling. That needs to be slammed with additional weight above it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:07 AM   #12
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

At the risk of starting a shit show here, that looks a bit more than just shipping damage to me. That's a pretty serious bend along with a fracture, and Apex wheels aren't exactly cheap and weak.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #13
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

That is substantial damage for a dropped wheel.

I mean... I never attempted this, but for a wheel to bend that badly AND crack I would assume it would have to be dropped from quite a height.

I'm not implying that the seller sold a bent wheel. Just saying shipping company would have to have been throwing these from a plane onto the tarmac. Which would be pretty bad on their behalf.

And if this wheel bent and cracked from a waist height, then sorry to say, that wheel is made very poorly.

Oh and another odd thing...the scratches on the safety bead right next to the bend.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 02:41 PM   #14
red96m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
That is substantial damage for a dropped wheel.

I mean... I never attempted this, but for a wheel to bend that badly AND crack I would assume it would have to be dropped from quite a height.

I'm not implying that the seller sold a bent wheel. Just saying shipping company would have to have been throwing these from a plane onto the tarmac. Which would be pretty bad on their behalf.

And if this wheel bent and cracked from a waist height, then sorry to say, that wheel is made very poorly.

Oh and another odd thing...the scratches on the safety bead right next to the bend.
You sir are amazing and correct. You must be an engineer or QA guy. Honestly, there were no visible damage on the outside the box when I initially looked at it.

I asked multiple times to package the wheels well so we didn't have to deal with this issue. I brought wheels before (new and used), they were packaged better.

What is wrong with me asking for a full refund and have the seller deal with FedEx?

As far as a wheel repair shop, the nearest reputable shop is 1.5 hours from my shop. Not a mobile repair company.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #15
red96m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
At the risk of starting a shit show here, that looks a bit more than just shipping damage to me. That's a pretty serious bend along with a fracture, and Apex wheels aren't exactly cheap and weak.
These wheels are BBS wheels. You are probably right.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #16
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
You sir are amazing and correct. You must be an engineer or QA guy. Honestly, there were no visible damage on the outside the box when I initially looked at it.

I asked multiple times to package the wheels well so we didn't have to deal with this issue. I brought wheels before (new and used), they were packaged better.

What is wrong with me asking for a full refund and have the seller deal with FedEx?

As far as a wheel repair shop, the nearest reputable shop is 1.5 hours from my shop. Not a mobile repair company.
If you want a full refund on the wheels, who will pay return shipping? Surely The seller can’t be expected to provide a full refund and also pay hundreds to ship them back only to have a bent wheel. Why would he do that?

If you are planning to pay return shipping, why would you do that? Paying return Shipping will cost more than the wheel repair which he already offered to split with you.

He already offered to pay half in this unfortunate situation for all which I think is generous. I would take him up on that and hope for the best with the fedex claim.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #17
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

In your first two sentences you were actually on the right track.

I think you may have taken my post as an attack on you, which it was not.

You have the right to request a full refund as you received damaged product. To me personally that doesn't look like shipping damage, but who knows.

I wish you the best of luck in retrieving your money.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #18
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
If you want a full refund on the wheels, who will pay return shipping? Surely The seller can’t be expected to provide a full refund and also pay hundreds to ship them back only to have a bent wheel. Why would he do that?

If you are planning to pay return shipping, why would you do that? Paying return Shipping will cost more than the wheel repair which he already offered to split with you.

He already offered to pay half in this unfortunate situation for all which I think is generous. I would take him up on that and hope for the best with the fedex claim.
That's the conundrum whenever an issue like this occurs...in a perfect world, the seller should accept the return of the damaged goods, pay for return shipping and then battle it out with the shipping company. It shouldn't be up to the buyer to have to cover expenses for items he won't own when returned, deal with repairs and/or settle for a compromised product.

He paid for wheels in good condition, not bent and cracked ones, why do you think he should just eat it?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #19
red96m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
In your first two sentences you were actually on the right track.

I think you may have taken my post as an attack on you, which it was not.

You have the right to request a full refund as you received damaged product. To me personally that doesn't look like shipping damage, but who knows.

I wish you the best of luck in retrieving your money.
No, it is the opposite. It is a compliment, you usually don't see it on posts.You are absolutely right. I personally don't think they can be easily or repaired. I don't want my daughter to be driving a car with a rim that has a previous crack on it, especially when she doesn't know much about cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #20
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
That's the conundrum whenever an issue like this occurs...in a perfect world, the seller should accept the return of the damaged goods, pay for return shipping and then battle it out with the shipping company. It shouldn't be up to the buyer to have to cover expenses for items he won't own when returned, deal with repairs and/or settle for a compromised product.

He paid for wheels in good condition, not bent and cracked ones, why do you think he should just eat it?
I never said he should just eat it. Why should the seller? He packaged them in the same boxes they came in new, how is this on him?

It's obsurd for either of them to pay return shipping which would probable double if not triple the cost to repair a wheel. He should take the seller up on his offer to split it since neither one is at fault here. Like you said, it's not a perfect world.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:36 PM   #21
red96m3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
I never said he should just eat it. Why should the seller? He packaged them in the same boxes they came in new, how is this on him?

It's obsurd for either of them to pay return shipping which would probable double if not triple the cost to repair a wheel. He should take the seller up on his offer to split it since neither one is at fault here. Like you said, it's not a perfect world.
Please read the thread again. Used wheels purchased are BBS CKII and the shipped boxes were in Apex boxes. NOT original ones. Thanks

Last edited by red96m3; 07-27-2020 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #22
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

While you wait for FedEx to respond, send a few photos of the damage to a wheel repair facility and get their opinion. This may or may not be repairable.

I had my winter wheel (original style 189) welded as it had a hairline crack. Luckily the crack didn't go to the safety bead. They welded it and I used that wheel for an additional 6 years in winter driving.

This last winter I unfortunately hit a pot hole causing another hairline crack on a different spot. Didn't feel comfortable with two welds so I tossed that one and got a used replacement.

Last edited by Wolf 335; 07-28-2020 at 09:08 PM..
Appreciate 0