E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E91 won’t start

01-07-2023, 08:45 AM   #1
Lambertlambert2003
Rep
Drives: E91 -2011

Question E91 won’t start

I have a LCI E91 that won’t start. I have read the following codes with Carly.

00D514 - News of the PT-CAN (motor data, ID = 1D0h) (FC 48) /
News of the PT-CAN (motor data, ID = 1d0h) (FC 10) /
[CANI: speed signal id 140h, no message

00CF33 - Signal from the DSC: speed wheel HR / Message of the motor control is missing / CAN bus / Message delay requirement ACC

ООАОВЗ - Error ansteurung starter KL50 / Error ansteurung starter
KL50 AOB3

OOCED4 - Timeout CAN message OxAA (torque 3) / External fault:
CAN ID OxAA (torque 3) missing (e)

The 00D514 won’t clear and shows an exclamation on the dash. The other 3 come back when trying to start. I’ve been in the battery well and it was 3/4 submerged in water. I haven’t had a chance to take the battery out yet but everything should be dry now and there’s no change. Can anyone point me in the right direction with this.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 02:37 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambertlambert2003 View Post
I have a LCI E91 that won’t start. I have read the following codes with Carly: D514; CF33; АОВЗ;CED4
The 00D514 won’t clear and shows an exclamation on the dash. The other 3 come back when trying to start. I’ve been in the battery well and it was 3/4 submerged in water...
3 of those 4 codes (the "message" codes) can mean different things depending upon what MODULES are installed in your vehicle. The ONLY code that is definitive about a particular fault is "A0B3: CAS: Starter Motor, Terminal 50".
That A0B3 code normally means that CAS Module is NOT sending KL50 "Start Signal" or voltage to the Starter Solenoid when START button is pressed with foot on Brake/Clutch (NO Crank).

Questions:
1) What are Last-7 Characters of your VIN? So we can get correct ISTA wiring diagrams.

2) "Won't Start" means: Starter does NOT Crank/Turn the engine (as opposed to Starter Cranks engine, but engine does NOT fire)?

3) When you put Remote Key in Slot and try to ONLY turn Ignition ON (Press START button WITHOUT pressing Brake/Clutch):
a) does Instrument Panel Light?
b) does Climate Control Panel Light?
c) can you turn on blower & change blower speed manually?
d) do brake lights light-up when brake pedal is pressed?
e) If AT, can you move Gear Selector Lever when Brake is pressed, AND
f) Does Gear selected appear on Lower Instrument Cluster display: P,R,N,D?

4) Do you have a Multimeter to read voltage at various points we will suggest? MINIMUM requirement is cheap multimeter ($10 US).

5) Do you have a battery charger, and if so, what different Ampere outputs is it capable of?

With answers to those questions we can suggest "Next Steps" YOU can take to avoid a Towing Fee & $hop Expen$e$. Getting ALL the water out of Battery Well is FIRST Priority.
George
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2023, 04:55 PM   #3
Lambertlambert2003
Rep

1. A946303

2. The engine cranks but won’t fire as if it’s not getting any fuel but I’m sure the 00CED4 code links to the fuel pump.

A. Instrument panel lights up and operates fine.
B. Climate lights up.
C. Blowers work manually.
D. Both brake lights are working.
E. Selector allows me to move it to any gear.
F. Instrument cluster shows the correct gear selection.

4. Yes I have a multimeter (not a very good one)

5 I don’t but my father has a camper van which I think he has a trickle charger for.

I just did another Carly diagnostic and have more codes showing.

00D355 CAN BUS open PT CAN / CAN ENGINE 2 MOTBK message 10ch missing / PT-CAN
DME / DDE 2 - torque 2 message 169 missing / CAN message / DME fault: motronic - message DME2 (ID 0x329) missing (RCV) (DSC-ECU received). / CAN fault: message torque 2 (ID 0x0A9) is missing / Not received message torque 2 (ID 0x0A9) or incorrect message length (DLC)] [channel:: PT-CAN DME]. / PT-CAN: not received or wrong message length (DLC) message torque 2 (ID 0x0A9). [channel: DME] / Not received message torque 2 (ID 0x0A9) or incorrect message length (DLC)] [channel:: PT-CAN DME] --- (DSC: message (torque 0A9) is missing)

00D354 - CAN fault: message torque 1 (ID 0x0A8) is missing / PT-CAN: torque message 1
(ID 0xA8) is not received or wrong message length (DLC)] [channel: DME]. / PT-CAN: message torque 1 (ID 0xA8) not received or wrong message length (DLC). [channel: DME] / Not received message torque 1 (ID 0xA8) or incorrect message length (DLC)] [channel:: PT- CAN DME] --- (DSC: message (torque 0A8) is missing) / CAN message / DME fault: motronic - message DME1 (ID 0x316) missing (RCV) (DSC-ECU received). / PT-CAN DME / DDE 1 - 1 torque message 168 missing / CAN ENGINE 1 MOTBK message 2Bch missing

00CF33 - Signal from the DSC: speed wheel HR / Message of the motor control is missing / CAN bus / Message delay requirement
ACC

00D356 - Not received message torque 3 (ID 0xAA) or wrong message length (DLC)]
Severe
[channel:: PT-CAN DME] --- (DSC: message (torque 0AA) is missing) / CAN message / DME fault: motronic - message DME4 (ID 0x545) missing (RCV) (DSC-ECU received). / CAN fault: message torque 3 (ID 0x0AA) is missing / PT-CAN DME / DDE 3 - torque 3 message 170 missing / Not received message torque 3 (ID 0xAA) or wrong message length (DLC)] [channel:: PT- CAN DME]. / PT-CAN: not received or wrong message length (DLC) message torque 3 (ID 0xAA). [channel: DME]

00A3AD - CAN ID 1D0 error failure message engine data

00A3AE - CAN ID 0AA error failure message idle engine speed / CAN ID 0AA error failure
message speed idling / CAN ID 0AA error failure message drehmoment3

00E717 - CAN message engine data / Message (KCAN: relative time, 328) / Can
message motor data

00E71B - Message (KCAN: outside temperature 2CA) / CAN message heat flow engine

00E720 - CAN message power management consumer control / Message (KCAN:
LCD brightness, 2C0) / Message (KCAN: status solar sensor, 3D3)

00E71A - Can message torque 3 / Message (KCAN: terminal status, 130)

00CED4 - Timeout CAN message 0xAA (torque 3) / External fault: CAN ID 0xAA (torque 3)
missing (e)

00D514 - News of the PT-CAN (motor data, ID = 1D0h) (FC 48) / News of the PT-CAN
(motor data, ID = 1d0h) (FC 10) / [CAN]: speed signal id 1A0h, no message

I was thinking that maybe the water has shorted an ECU somewhere.

Also when I tried to check the battery voltage or read live data in Carly it said it couldn’t do it because it couldn’t identify the engine model from the ECU.

Last edited by Lambertlambert2003; 01-07-2023 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Added additional information
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 01:15 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambertlambert2003 View Post
1. A946303
2. The engine cranks but won’t fire as if it’s not getting any fuel but I’m sure the 00CED4 code links to the fuel pump. [Actually CED4 Code means Fuel Pump Module / EKPS is NOT getting signal / message from DDE] ...
I just did another Carly diagnostic and have more codes showing.
[12 "Message Faults" Most/ ALL related to LACK of message from DDE]
... Also when I tried to check the battery voltage or read live data in Carly it said it couldn’t do it because it couldn’t identify the engine model from the ECU.
I presume that you NO LONGER have the "A0B3" fault code, since you don't list it in new code list, and engine Cranks? Carly (NOT my favorite Software/ Scan Tool ;-) is Probably (Should be) saying that there is NO communication with DDE. Either INPA or ISTA would quickly (one minute or less) TELL YOU if that were the case. I have NO IDEA whether/ HOW Carly does that.

Lack of communication with a single Module usually means:
1) Lack of Power Supply to that Module; or
2) Lack of BUS Connection to that Module.

If Carly can do "Activations", you would quickly find out if DDE is communicating by trying to ACTIVATE the Fuel Pump via DDE Connection (NOT by connecting to EKPS).

If your SES light is on, the Starter Cranks the engine, but the Engine does NOT fire, then the FIRST thing to check is whether DDE is getting power. The DDE Main Relay, 2003a in the ISTA ScreenPrints attached to NEXT Post, should "Activate" when Ignition is turned on, and it should power Fuses F01 through F04 in the E-box. Location of each of those is provided in the ScreenPrints.

If you would like suggestions on how to test those items with Multimeter, or to "Bench-test" relay, please advise. I have NO Experience with Diesel DDE's, but can at least follow/provide the ISTA Wiring Diagrams.
George
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 01:20 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

ISTA ScreenPrints as identified in Prior Post, related to 2011 E91 with N47 Engine.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 07:56 AM   #6
Lambertlambert2003
Rep

https://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/threa...-guide.294833/

So I found this thread on a different forum, it seems very similar to my problems. Especially where he says there is a delay between pressing start and it cranking. I thought i was just waiting on the glow plugs because it’s cold. So I had a look and came across the same corroded cable (photo attached). Would you know the type of connector they use on the ends of these so I can put my own on instead of buying a new cable? Do you know of any chemical to put over these connectors to stop them corroding?
Attached Images

Last edited by Lambertlambert2003; 01-08-2023 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 05:28 PM   #7
ShayZo
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 320D

Hi, i'm from france and i've got exactly the same problem after i change my engine.
default code and the corroded cable i change it and same problem.
Did you find a solution of your problem ?
Ty
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2023, 06:45 PM   #8
Lambertlambert2003
Rep

Did you take off the other cable and clean that connection aswell?Both mine were corroded. But after replacing the cable and cleaning the connections my car started fine. I drilled holes in the bottom of the battery well and used primer to stop the water and haven’t had water in there again.

I did have problems later on because I tightened the nuts on top of the battery sensor by hand despite it saying to torque them. It looks like there was a small fire above the positive terminal and melted the battery sensor plastic.
Appreciate 0