E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > n52 oil leak issues

01-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 325i 6spd

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
n52 oil leak issues

hey guys i got a 2006 325i 6spd 153k miles and i bought the car with it burning oil, id have to add a quart every 1500 miles give or take but i didnt mind because its a sweet ride and it had no oil leaks. until now!!!!

I started to smell oil burning the other day and decided to pop the hood, there was oil everywhere, front of the engine, underneath the intake manifold, all over the alternator, oil filter housing, underneath the intake tube, it was everywhere.

i pulled the under belly off and noticed what seems like the oil pan gasket and rear main seal leaking!! at this point im not to sure it could be the oil leaking down from the source??

So i just pressure washed my entire engine bay and cleaned up all the oily mess because i cant seem to isolate where exactly its coming from. Tomorrow i'll start the car and drive it around hopefully the oil leak will reveal itself. im so worried, ive read about broken head bolts on these cars how would i know if i have this issue?

Have you guys ran into this issue before? If so what was the source of your oil leak? and tips of what i should check for?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gT-BMW View Post
hey guys i got a 2006 325i 6spd 153k miles and i bought the car with it burning oil, id have to add a quart every 1500 miles give or take but i didnt mind because its a sweet ride and it had no oil leaks. until now!!!!

I started to smell oil burning the other day and decided to pop the hood, there was oil everywhere, front of the engine, underneath the intake manifold, all over the alternator, oil filter housing, underneath the intake tube, it was everywhere.

i pulled the under belly off and noticed what seems like the oil pan gasket and rear main seal leaking!! at this point im not to sure it could be the oil leaking down from the source??

So i just pressure washed my entire engine bay and cleaned up all the oily mess because i cant seem to isolate where exactly its coming from. Tomorrow i'll start the car and drive it around hopefully the oil leak will reveal itself. im so worried, ive read about broken head bolts on these cars how would i know if i have this issue?

Have you guys ran into this issue before? If so what was the source of your oil leak? and tips of what i should check for?
VCG (valve cover gasket) most likely one to leak. Also, Oil filter and pan gasket as well. I need to replace mine as well. Mine has a broken bolt, you may want to check yours as well.
Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      01-17-2019, 06:02 PM   #3
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Due to the fact you smelled burning oil I would suspect the valve cover gasket or valvetronic motor gasket because that’s the only place oil would leak down onto the headers and get burned.

But oil all over the alternator, intake tube, and oil filter housing sounds to me like a oil filter housing leak which drips onto the serpentine belt and then gets splashed everywhere on the drivers side of the engine by the moving belt.

Oil filter housing gasket is an easy 1 hour DIY. Valve cover and Valvetronic motor gaskets go hand in hand to replace and are a tougher 3-4 hour DIY. Make sure you replace the serpentine belt when you fix the leaks cause oil on it is something that’s going to lead to a catastrophic engine failure when the belt goes.

*edit: Also when did you last get your oil changed? Is your oil filter cap on tight?

Last edited by Biginboca; 01-17-2019 at 06:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      01-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:

First thing you have to check if your oil filter cap is leaking. It has pressurized oil and the o-ring that seals the cap if not placed at the correct groove or rode up from its grove during tightening the cap will leak a lot of oil spraying around in a short time. You should not see the o-ring seal when the cap is tightened, it should be completely inside pushing against the inside wall of the housing and the cap.
Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      01-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #5
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Also I bet your CCV system is plugged up. the 3 liter version of the N52 normally doesn't burn a lot of oil (in my experience anyway). I don't think the 2006 with the metal valve cover is as prone to valve cover gasket leaks either.
Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      01-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Alright so after some checking, it does seem like the OFHG is leaking from a small spot from the bottom, i also checked the external headbolt that sits right behind it seems to be intact. but im still worried about the internal headbolts. while there is no oil leak below the valve cover gasket, there seems to be oil seepage by the head gasket area right below the exhaust manifold. I tried to take a picture of it using a mirror, i hope you guys can see it.

Oil seepage around the headgasket area does that mean broken headbolts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
VCG (valve cover gasket) most likely one to leak. Also, Oil filter and pan gasket as well. I need to replace mine as well. Mine has a broken bolt, you may want to check yours as well.
just checked all the valve cover bolts, none seems to be broken thank goodness. what bolt is broken on your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Due to the fact you smelled burning oil I would suspect the valve cover gasket or valvetronic motor gasket because that’s the only place oil would leak down onto the headers and get burned.

But oil all over the alternator, intake tube, and oil filter housing sounds to me like a oil filter housing leak which drips onto the serpentine belt and then gets splashed everywhere on the drivers side of the engine by the moving belt.

Oil filter housing gasket is an easy 1 hour DIY. Valve cover and Valvetronic motor gaskets go hand in hand to replace and are a tougher 3-4 hour DIY. Make sure you replace the serpentine belt when you fix the leaks cause oil on it is something that’s going to lead to a catastrophic engine failure when the belt goes.

*edit: Also when did you last get your oil changed? Is your oil filter cap on tight?
thanks for the tip!! i couldnt find any leaks around the valvetronic motor or around the valve cover, but your right it does look like my OFHG is leaking. i just changed that belt too!! looks like ill have to change it again. I did my last oil change in nov/18 and yes i checked the oil filter cap its tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
First thing you have to check if your oil filter cap is leaking. It has pressurized oil and the o-ring that seals the cap if not placed at the correct groove or rode up from its grove during tightening the cap will leak a lot of oil spraying around in a short time. You should not see the o-ring seal when the cap is tightened, it should be completely inside pushing against the inside wall of the housing and the cap.
thanks for the tip, i just checked it seems nice and tight. also checked the oil filter rubber ring. nothing seems out of the ordinary but im going to do an oil change anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
Also I bet your CCV system is plugged up. the 3 liter version of the N52 normally doesn't burn a lot of oil (in my experience anyway). I don't think the 2006 with the metal valve cover is as prone to valve cover gasket leaks either.
i just replaced the ccv with new hoses, i found out recently the rings are bad on cyl 5+6 so i have to add 1 quart of oil every month https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533914 still puts a smile on my face when i floor it though and still traps 97-99mph so

but your right i checked my vcg doesnt seem to be leaking thank goodness.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

it's unfortunate that people call those aluminum bolts "head bolts" because they are really just there to seal the timing cover area, they are not in any way structural. On the N5x, the timing cover is part of the block and head, so people call them "head bolts" for lack of a better word.

The actual head bolts, the ones that seal the head gasket - are steel, and these aren't going to break (without serious abuse). So whatever leak you see above the exhaust manifold is likely from the valve cover, not the head gasket.

Not sure how handy you are with DIY, but honestly - for what all that work would cost and the pain of doing it, I'd probably just drive it as is or find another lower miles, used engine and swap it, especially if you really think there is ring damage (seems odd to me, but it is what it is).
Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      01-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #8
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Alright so after some checking, it does seem like the OFHG is leaking from a small spot from the bottom, i also checked the external headbolt that sits right behind it seems to be intact. but im still worried about the internal headbolts. while there is no oil leak below the valve cover gasket, there seems to be oil seepage by the head gasket area right below the exhaust manifold. I tried to take a picture of it using a mirror, i hope you guys can see it.

Oil seepage around the headgasket area does that mean broken headbolts??

just checked all the valve cover bolts, none seems to be broken thank goodness. what bolt is broken on your car?

thanks for the tip!! i couldnt find any leaks around the valvetronic motor or around the valve cover, but your right it does look like my OFHG is leaking. i just changed that belt too!! looks like ill have to change it again. I did my last oil change in nov/18 and yes i checked the oil filter cap its tight.

thanks for the tip, i just checked it seems nice and tight. also checked the oil filter rubber ring. nothing seems out of the ordinary but im going to do an oil change anyway.

i just replaced the ccv with new hoses, i found out recently the rings are bad on cyl 5+6 so i have to add 1 quart of oil every month https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533914 still puts a smile on my face when i floor it though and still traps 97-99mph so

but your right i checked my vcg doesnt seem to be leaking thank goodness.
Broken bolt is in the front corner. Left side if you are facing in front of car.
Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      01-18-2019, 09:13 PM   #9
gT-BMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Thank you guys so much for the replies!!!!

So i went ahead and did the OFHG today. I was going to order from fcp euro, real cheap just 12.99 but man it would of taken a whole week to get to me. then i called my local bmw stealer ship thinking that even if i paid overnight shipping from fcp it would be the same price. nope!! bmw orlando wanted $53!! i said no thanks!!!! i really wanted to fix this today. so took a shot and called my local autozone thinking they will tell me its a dealer part only. thank goodness nope!! they had one in stock!!! and it was only $16.99!!!!!!!!!! i was !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

So i went ahead and did the job with a 12pt 5/16 12pt socket and a 12pt 8mm wrench for the lower bolt because i didnt have a e10 and my local hf was 45 mins away. those did the job just nicely. took me 20 mins to do it. torque the bolts to 16ft lbs. also did the coolant bleed thing. i topped off the missing coolant with distilled water.

so i put everything back together and when i started the car i got major oil seepage from the oil filter cap!! you guys where right!! if that that thing aint tight it will leak from the pressure!!!! so much oil leaked all the way down to the oil pan, puddled up to the rear near the rear main seal!!! i was pissed!!! i just pressure washed and cleaned all of that shit!!!!! now i got to pressure wash the entire engine again!!!

so i did an oil change shell 5w40 t6 put a new filter and oil ring and tighten the shit out of that oil cap all seems to be nice and dry. engine is smooth and quiet. i was putting fuel the other day and saw this nice clean 330i pull up next to me. his lifter tick was soo loud i heard him coming a mile away. i keept this car because there is zero tick from this engine. i just have to keep adding oil.

also got me thinking. how many shops sold oil pan gaskets when OFHG was the actual source?

Everything right now seems to be dry. total cost of this repair for me was $73. I didnt install the underpan yet because i wanted to see if in fact the oil pan gasket is or not leaking. ill update again in the future for now i included some pics of the autozone gasket. seems to be high quality for 16.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
it's unfortunate that people call those aluminum bolts "head bolts" because they are really just there to seal the timing cover area, they are not in any way structural. On the N5x, the timing cover is part of the block and head, so people call them "head bolts" for lack of a better word.

The actual head bolts, the ones that seal the head gasket - are steel, and these aren't going to break (without serious abuse). So whatever leak you see above the exhaust manifold is likely from the valve cover, not the head gasket.

Not sure how handy you are with DIY, but honestly - for what all that work would cost and the pain of doing it, I'd probably just drive it as is or find another lower miles, used engine and swap it, especially if you really think there is ring damage (seems odd to me, but it is what it is).
Thanks for the clarification about steel bolts. i feel a little better about it now. ive just remember reading that the cams have to come out if those inner aluminum bolts broke. im crossing fingers that didnt happen to me!! but your right, im quite happy when the engine output so i just leaving it the way it is and add oil whenever it needs it.

btw the oil seepage that i took a pic of with my mirror is right below the exhaust manifold right by the headgasket, not above it. which is why im so worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Broken bolt is in the front corner. Left side if you are facing in front of car.
so i just checked mine, nothing broken so far!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 08:10 PM   #10
Doesha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Pre-LCI Monaco Blue

Def oil filter housing. Happened to me too. If you sprayed the engine under the intake, just watch out cus water gets in that starter it goes. Ask me how I know. you might want to do a coolant flush just to make sure your pump and thermostat are good. The OFHG goes when it gets too hott and hardens up.
Appreciate 2
gT-BMW203.00
      01-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #11
The Nightman
Cometh
Rep
Drives: Boy's Soul

Garage List
Is the oil filter cap gasket installed correctly?
Appreciate 1
gT-BMW203.00
      02-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #12
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

After letting it sit follow the oil from the bottom to the top to find the sources. You stating that it seems it's coming out from everywhere leads me to think that it's possible that you or someone else may have filled in too much oil and caused to blow many gaskets out. Some people have had this issue from either a broken e-dipstick or improperly reading it, thus overfilling the oil. The whole e-dipstick think is pretty nuanced, but once you learn how it works it's pretty easy to decipher what it's doing. Efthreeoh had an amazing write up on it, regardless.