E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Tensioner cracked probable cause for cracked block causing weird oil leak?!?

01-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #1
MarkN54
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335xi 2008

Tensioner cracked probable cause for cracked block causing weird oil leak?!?

So I did everything In book for this crazy car, I posted about a week ago for an oil leak nobody responded I don’t blame anyone bc this just doesn’t make sense, I took my tensioner pulley off just to see if my block was cracked somehow, bec the leak seems to be coming from the top right under the head gasket moving down the front of the block and I found this.

Tesonier housing was cracked.. looks like maybe the tensioner broke off somehow with the previous owner.

I bought the car 3 months with an oil leak, okay so I replaced everything in the book, OFHG, Valve Cover, Front crank seal, power steering lines, crankshaft position sensor o rings (2) I just replaced the vanos solenoid seals as well but same problem same about of oil, the funny thing is the car doesn’t leak at idle only when you drive it it leaks, I have an oil dye in the car rn but still super hard to pin point. I have pictures where the tensioner sits in the block? I don’t see any visible cracks it could be to small probably, could the tensioner have cracked my block tho?
Attached Images

Last edited by MarkN54; 01-10-2019 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335I

Did it snap where to torx bit goes into to pry it? Mine snapped as well when I did changed my belt and I still put it back in place because I needed my car for the next day so waiting for a part wasn't an option at the time... I had forgotten about it lol so I'll change it in spring.

But its really hard to tell by your pictures, I don't see any cracks... Try to clean the area as much as you can and start keeping an eye to see if you can catch where the oil is coming down from. Are you certain that your new OFHG isn't leaking as well?
      01-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #3
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTO335i View Post
Are you certain that your new OFHG isn't leaking as well?
This.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #4
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Did it snap where to torx bit goes into to pry it? Mine snapped as well when I did changed my belt and I still put it back in place because I needed my car for the next day so waiting for a part wasn't an option at the time... I had forgotten about it lol so I'll change it in spring.

But its really hard to tell by your pictures, I don't see any cracks... Try to clean the area as much as you can and start keeping an eye to see if you can catch where the oil is coming down from. Are you certain that your new OFHG isn't leaking as well?

Pretty sure it’s not. I was thinking the same as well everybody on the forums was telling me it was that it can’t be anything else so I kept changing it and changing and changing must’ve been 6 times and I used the oem bmw gasket no luck I bought maybe 3 gaskets and still no luck

Could it be maybe the gasket needs to set in after driving it for a period of time? I haven’t drove the car pretty much at all for 3 months since I bought bc of this leak just up and down my road to see if it would leak that’s pretty much it

Last edited by MarkN54; 01-10-2019 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN54 View Post
Quote:

Pretty sure it's not. I was thinking the same as well everybody on the forums was telling me it was that it can't be anything else so I kept changing it and changing and changing must've been 6 times and I used the oem bmw gasket no luck I bought maybe 3 gaskets and still no luck

Could it be maybe the gasket needs to set in after driving it for a period of time? I haven't drove the car pretty much at all for 3 months9 since I bought bc of this leak just up and down my road to see if it would leak that's pretty much it
No it doesn't need time to set, once done it should be good to go, i did mine (which is why i changed the belt at the same time) and i didn't even get a bmw oem one and I haven't had any issues. You say this happens when you're driving. Would it be possible for you to get someone to rev it at a steady 2k or so while you look for a leak?
      01-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
No it doesn't need time to set, once done it should be good to go, i did mine (which is why i changed the belt at the same time) and i didn't even get a bmw oem one and I haven't had any issues. You say this happens when you're driving. Would it be possible for you to get someone to rev it at a steady 2k or so while you look for a leak?
I tried that as well And didn’t see anything for a good half hour , maybe I tighten the bloats on the housing to much? I don’t have a torque wrench but still I didn’t over tighten them but I will give this another try this is making me go crazy and this time i will barely tighten the housing I will let you Guyana know tomaro
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #7
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I tried that as well And didn't see anything for a good half hour , maybe I tighten the bloats on the housing to much? I don't have a torque wrench but still I didn't over tighten them but I will give this another try this is making me go crazy and this time i will barely tighten the housing I will let you Guyana know tomaro
Well if it's not the cause then changing it again won't do much. That's the shitty part here, if you're not sure where its coming from then just throwing parts will just burn a hole in your wallet
      01-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #8
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well if it's not the cause then changing it again won't do much. That's the shitty part here, if you're not sure where its coming from then just throwing parts will just burn a hole in your wallet

I do all work myself, plus I have a left over gasket that was bought from bmw that my friend gave me so let’s give this one more try after this idk just sell this car
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Doesn't look like its coming from the tensioner area, it's probably from the ofhg. When you pull it off again use a straight edge and make sure that both surfaces(the engine block and oil filter housing) are flat where the gasket sits, and make sure there is no burrs or surface defects causing the two parts to not seal fully/correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #10
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Doesn't look like its coming from the tensioner area, it's probably from the ofhg. When you pull it off again use a straight edge and make sure that both surfaces(the engine block and oil filter housing) are flat where the gasket sits, and make sure there is no burrs or surface defects causing the two parts to not seal fully/correctly.

what Does burr mean? Like the marking left over from the old gasket?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
OTO335i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I do all work myself, plus I have a left over gasket that was bought from bmw that my friend gave me so let’s give this one more try after this idk just sell this car
Then in that case give it a shot! Hope it turns out for the best!
      01-10-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
what Does burr mean? Like the marking left over from the old gasket?
A burr is a rough edge or ridge left on an object (especially of metal) by the action of a tool or machine. It's not likely there is one but something to check for. But also be sure to remove all the old leftover gasket, by use of something like a rag with carb cleaner or similar applied or a plastic razor.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #13
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Then in that case give it a shot! Hope it turns out for the best!
Thank you! Me to man can’t wait to drive it, thanks to everyone as well for the tips! Will let you guys know tomaro afternoon or so.
Appreciate 1
OTO335i144.50
      01-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #14
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you! Me to man can’t wait to drive it, thanks to everyone as well for the tips! Will let you guys know tomaro afternoon or so.
Silver lining here is that you can now change OFHGs lightning quick...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #15
srey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i 6mt

If I were in your shoes I would throw a bead of RTV on the gasket. I know BMW doesn't spec it with RTV, but if it's a gasket that's prone to failure why wouldn't you use some extra insurance?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #16
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srey View Post
If I were in your shoes I would throw a bead of RTV on the gasket. I know BMW doesn't spec it with RTV, but if it's a gasket that's prone to failure why wouldn't you use some extra insurance?
I was just thinking that too, with how many he has changed it wouldn't hurt.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #17
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post
Silver lining here is that you can now change OFHGs lightning quick...

So true!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #18
ScottB4857
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Jet Black

You mention the OFHG, but if you have the oil cooler did you also change the cooler bracket gasket, the o-rings on the oil cooler lines, and did you double check the oil pressure sensor switch isn't leaking?
      01-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #19
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB4857 View Post
You mention the OFHG, but if you have the oil cooler did you also change the cooler bracket gasket, the o-rings on the oil cooler lines, and did you double check the oil pressure sensor switch isn't leaking?

No oil cooler, and oil switch is dry
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #20
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Let's have more pics of the engine bay...oil is obviously coming down from the top.

What's the status of your PCV system? Could oil be pushing it's way through the Valve Cover? These are the things you need to be looking for, especially since this only seems to happen when there's load placed on the engine itself.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #21
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw=trash

OFHG
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #22
MarkN54
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredcase View Post
OFHG
Okay just replaced ofhg again same stupid problem...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0