E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Brake Cooling

07-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Brake Cooling

I've recently got into a disagreement with a burst truck tire on the highway and then immediately following that, my car was involved in a rude argument with a highway traffic cone. As a result of those predicaments, I now have the opportunity to replace the front bumper and all of the underbody plastics (along with the oil cooler) with different ones.

So, I thought: why not kill two birds with one stone: get new bumper and by doing so, choose one that offers maximum airflow to the intercooler, the brakes and the oil cooler.

I wanted to start a discussion about improving the brake cooling in our cars and see where that takes us. Here some of my thoughts and some questions to go with them:

* I think it would be better for cooling of the brakes to remove the dust shields. Is that correct? How many of you that track your cars run without brake dust shields?

* Does the M-tech bumper offer air ducts that direct the air to the brakes better than the stock bumper?

* Has anyone rigged up their dust shields with some sort of a flex-tube that connects to the air ducts from the bumper? Better yet, does anyone sell aftermarket dust shields that have cutouts with flanges and flex-tubes for improved cooling?

Thanks for your time in advance.
      07-23-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
AllydNYC
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 91' E30 318is

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
* Has anyone rigged up their dust shields with some sort of a flex-tube that connects to the air ducts from the bumper? Better yet, does anyone sell aftermarket dust shields that have cutouts with flanges and flex-tubes for improved cooling?

Thanks for your time in advance.
I think I can answer this with this thread. I stumbled upon it months ago just browsing the forums and if you scroll down someone makes the dust shields with cutouts for the 1M, yes I know not a E90 but it's a start. At the top is a DIY version a forum member made.

There's also this thread, which I'm sure you've seen.

As far as effectiveness, I'm unsure and as I said I just stumbled across one and Google'd another.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Interesting links. I'll definitely take a look at those.